WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries

Default 50 degree sleeping quilt

Planning on hiking the long trail in July. Will a 50 degree sleeping quilt be good enough at night?

Journal Entries

If your lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by backtrack213 View Post
    Planning on hiking the long trail in July. Will a 50 degree sleeping quilt be good enough at night?
    Need more input.
    Warm or cold sleeper.
    Clothing available for sleeping.
    Insulation under you.
    Shelter around you and the quilt.
    My hunch: No margin for unusually cool and wet weather.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Images

I took a 40F quilt for a July E2E hike. It was enough most nights, but I also had my light down parka, and light wool long john bottoms and long sleeved top that I wore every night. There were several nights that got into the 40s and I was chilly even with all that. If I did it again I'd take something a few degrees warmer.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

It's hard to say how people handle summer nights
    I used to hike with hardly anything in the summer and could pull it off in my 20s. I would take a bed sheet or a fleece liner or something and thought expensive summer gear was laughable. Now, I would probably freeze and would take a 40f quilt/bag + some layers

I used a 40* quilt on my e2e from 8/13-9/1 and didn't have any issues but I also slept in long john bottoms and had a primaloft insulated jacket for extra warmth. I was never cold and usually kicked off/pulled down the quilt at some point. I'm a warm sleeper though

I've used my 40 degree kings canyon quilt down to near 40 degrees....maybe 40-42 range
    It was in Florida, but 40 degrees is 40 degrees
    I was in a tent and on a trailpro mattress....was a bit chilly but passable
    I don't recall what I was wearing ..... probably longjohns or a sweatshirt...

I have always tended to be a coldish sleeper, but ....kinda Like hikingjim stated though, over the last year I've lost some weight and now have even less tolerance for cold so I doubt I'd be quite as comfortable....

been down in the mid to upper 40s with it more lately, and used a light blanket on top and was more comfortable.

Maybe consider bringing a mylar blanket to bolster it, just in case.....

Images

The really nice thing about a quilt is that you don't have to use all of it, if you're too warm, uncover parts until you are comfortable. You can use a 20 degree quilt on a 50 degree night, but good luck sleeping under a 40 degree quilt on a 25 degree night.
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Images

Quote Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
    I've used my 40 degree kings canyon quilt down to near 40 degrees....maybe 40-42 range
    It was in Florida, but 40 degrees is 40 degrees...
    Don't underestimate Florida's cold, the humidity combined with low temps can be brutal. I've been more uncomfortable at 20-25 degrees in central Florida than I ever was in single digits in northern Michigan.
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    I took a 40F quilt for a July E2E hike. It was enough most nights, but I also had my light down parka, and light wool long john bottoms and long sleeved top that I wore every night. There were several nights that got into the 40s and I was chilly even with all that. If I did it again I'd take something a few degrees warmer.
    yeah, heavy humidity will take 10* out of your cover pretty easily. travel light, freeze at night...

Quote Originally Posted by Engine View Post
    Don't underestimate Florida's cold, the humidity combined with low temps can be brutal. I've been more uncomfortable at 20-25 degrees in central Florida than I ever was in single digits in northern Michigan.
    Amen.....!

++ New Posts ++