WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default New Hostel in Lincoln, NH

I am happy to bring this news to ya'll. There is a new Hostel in Lincoln, NH and I eagerly show my support to the dream. Operated by Chet aka "One step at a time" not far from the library in Lincoln. He has set up a great space with bunks freshly built by this years through hikers. He is going to try to keep a minimum of 6ish hikers per night, but will be flexible and has the space. There is a 3 night maximum, dogs are welcome. Rates are work for stay, barter, and by donation. I may try to set up some sort of regular shuttle service to help him out if I can make the time. For more info drop me a line.
    Blister "Bitchen" Sister

Hey Blister,

Thanks for letting everyone know about the new hostel. The North Woodstock/lincoln area is a nice stop on the trail but had been rather inconvenient for thru's until now. Rather expensive at hotels or pay campsites which was a bummer as there are great outfitters, stores and of course pubs - yours of which is the best for sure.
    I met you a couple weeks ago while you were working but didn't come back the next day to get some of your many hiking stories. Maybe next year.
    But thanks for the info, definitely this is great news for thru's trying to get out from under the auspices of the G. . . well, damn AMC.
    Peace, maybe we'll see you next year during another SOBO.
    Warraghiyagey

Quote Originally Posted by Blister View Post
    I am happy to bring this news to ya'll. There is a new Hostel in Lincoln, NH and I eagerly show my support to the dream. Operated by Chet aka "One step at a time" not far from the library in Lincoln. He has set up a great space with bunks freshly built by this years through hikers. He is going to try to keep a minimum of 6ish hikers per night, but will be flexible and has the space. There is a 3 night maximum, dogs are welcome. Rates are work for stay, barter, and by donation. I may try to set up some sort of regular shuttle service to help him out if I can make the time. For more info drop me a line.
    Outstanding, Blister! If Chet wants, his info can be put up on the Companion Update page on the ATC site. If you send/post the info I can send it in.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Default Hmmm...

What's the best route in to this place? (Thanks in advance for opening a new, needed hostel, btw.) I may be hiking some in NH this fall...

Images

Any info on this Hostel?

Images

Default Hostel info

Chet the owner is a great guy first of all! The location of the library is within walking distance from the Lincoln Library. With the library on your right walk to the end of the street where there is a stop sign, take a left and it will be the house directly after the Red Sleigh Inn. He is trying to keep the numbers of hikers per night reasonable, but it is hard to do when 20 come through town daily. if your northbound you can probablly call from Glencliff to give a heads up on an e.t.a. Anyways he does not charge for stays, they are work for stay, donation or barter. Great camping in the back as well as the Hostel portion of the house is a great wide open room, once used as a art studio. Early season hikers, helped out building bunks ect... Dogs are welcomed as long as they get along with other dogs, chet has 2. There is a flag pole and a carved AT sign in front of the house.
    Blister "Bitchen" Sister

Default Thumbs Up!

I have met a great many people who have stayed there this year and enjoyed Chet's hospitality, and I have heard nothing but overwhelmingly positive comments.

Great work, Chet!!

Images

My husband "low Branch" stayed there 2 nights a few weeks ago, and it was one of the best places he stayed at the entire trip. His impression of Chet was that he is a one of a kind wonderful guy!

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

Blister, do you (or anyone) have a phone number or email for Chet? I'm going to be starting a section hike at Franconia Notch, and I might try to stay there. You can PM me if you don't want the info to be public.

You're giving directions from the Library, but where the AT crosses at Franconia Notch, you need to travel get to Lincoln 4.5 miles. Is the Library in down town Lincoln? I am not picturing it.

Also is this open year round - IE staying there in winter?
    Peace Be With You

Does anyone know Chet's address or his last name? We stayed there for two nights this year and he was so wonderful-trying to gather up the addys for thankyou notes and such. Thanks

1700 down, 460 to go...
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Matteroo View Post
    Does anyone know Chet's address or his last name? We stayed there for two nights this year and he was so wonderful-trying to gather up the addys for thankyou notes and such. Thanks
    PM sent. dunno if this info should be publicly posted so i'm opting not to.
    "when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." --HST
    Uncle Silly VA->VT '05, VT->ME '07, VA->GA ??

Just got out of the whites (short trip only a week). Stayed our last night with Chet. IMO you could not ask for a nicer host, meeting, talking and staying with him will be something i'll never forget.

Is this my good friend and ex-roommate Chet West whom Ive known since 1998??????????/

Hope he is doing better!

Crazy man.

Tell him to drop a damn email

Default Chet West

Quote Originally Posted by Lion King View Post
    Is this my good friend and ex-roommate Chet West whom Ive known since 1998??????????/

Hope he is doing better!

Crazy man.

Tell him to drop a damn email
    Yes it is Chet, he"s wheel-bounghed. I stayed in Aug. a great guy, but I think thur-hikers should pay him at less a couple of dollars, he lets you shower w/towels and if you need to wash your clothesyou can.
    He do not belive in the internet. Geting to Lincon from Franconia Notch south on Rt.93 to Lincon Ex. 32, then turn lift on Main St. thenup the road about a Mile School St.on the leftgo to the end @ turn left on to Pollard St a B@B on the left @ Chet"s the next door w/AT sigh hinging. Sorry no phone#. Audrey

Images

Does anyone know if Chet's is open this early (May 15th) in the season?

i stayed at chet's last year. he's an incredibly nice guy and his home is a very relaxed and friendly environment. he had a shuttle service lined up last year, we were picked up at the log flume/ visitor's center place a few miles outside of town.

Some hikers recommended this place to me. Do they stay open for weekenders?

Images

Stayed there a few days ago for 2 nites. Chet is a great guy and very interesting to talk to. Place was full with north and southbounders. Definitly worth the shuttle in.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Northbounders in Lincoln this late. Boy, they have to hurry along.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++