WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Would you use this to secure your gear?

Full disclosure - I'm not much of a hiker, I'm a sailor. But I made the Cinch-N-Clinch to help me secure my gear in rough weather, while diving my hull and while climbing the mast. I would LOVE to get opinions from hikers and backpackers on whether this is the type of thing you'd consider using to secure your gear!

bit.ly/cinchNclinch

Images

careful....

since this is your first post-----most people will interpret it as spam.........

Images

especially since link directs to a fund raising page......

I love SPAM cooked over an open fire.

Images

Spam ! Spam !
    He leads me beside still waters !!
    Happy Trails..... BrotherAL

Images

spam and eggs!!!

Well thank you all *so* much for the helpful comments. Yes, I do have a kickstarter for this project. I created it because people kept asking me to make these for them. The point of crowdfunding is to see if an idea appeals to a target population. My target audience is people who are regularly engaged in outdoor activities. Seems like a trail forum would be full of such people!

I want feedback and opinions, but if all you have is kneejerk reactions, I guess you're not open minded enough to even consider a new design let alone provide a reasoned opinion.

If anyone does actually want to take the time to let me know whether my invention seems like something they'd actually use and why or why not I really do welcome the input!

I was open about the fact that I am NOT someone who is likely to frequent this forum, but I'm looking for the feedback of those who are. Thanks for the warning.

Hmmm... would I use it if I had one? Yeah, probably so, but in a limited fashion. I don't want to hang a lot of items outside my pack, and most of what I would hang would just clip on a carabiner easily anyway. Still, it's a clever little gadget I wouldn't mind having.

Thanks for the input skater!

Quote Originally Posted by reefcroaker View Post
    Well thank you all *so* much for the helpful comments. Yes, I do have a kickstarter for this project. I created it because people kept asking me to make these for them. The point of crowdfunding is to see if an idea appeals to a target population. My target audience is people who are regularly engaged in outdoor activities. Seems like a trail forum would be full of such people!

I want feedback and opinions, but if all you have is kneejerk reactions, I guess you're not open minded enough to even consider a new design let alone provide a reasoned opinion.

If anyone does actually want to take the time to let me know whether my invention seems like something they'd actually use and why or why not I really do welcome the input!

I'll bite.

I looked up the Cinch N Clinch when you first posted, before anybody had responded. I say that to tell you that my thoughts were formed before the "SPAM" posts, so they aren't affecting my opinion.

Right off the bat, my feedback is that I don't click on links from unknown users so I used Google to find your Kickstarter page. I work with a lot of cyber experts and that is their rule #1 - no blind clicks!

Regarding the product, no I would not use it. In general hikers who know what they are doing aim to have their gear contained within a pocket, not hanging off the side of the pack. Having things hanging loose affects balance and seems like a good way to lose them. The video you have with hikers carrying packs with multiple objects hanging outside...that's not really recommended here.

I also want to avoid extra weight. So for instance one of the example uses was hanging a water bottle from a carabiner on my pack. I have a NiteIze product that does the same thing but weighs 8 grams counting a carabiner. I don't know how much your product weighs, but I'm guessing the answer is "more than 8 grams." Heck, your carabiner alone must weigh more than that.

If you are looking for people who would use this, I'd first look at your friends who have been asking about it. What hobbies are they into? What forums do they use? You might also want to market this to preppers. I'm not joking. They don't seem to care about weight at all, and they are very concerned with carrying as much as they can. They might LOVE this product.

Journal Entries

No.
    It appears to be a piece of cord with two slipping overhand knots covered by heat shrink

Do you really think people cant figure out how to make one of these for 0.50 if they want it?

If it has a future, its as useless doo-dads that well meaning spouses or friend purchase for others

Of course, i thought the same about ugly plastic sandals...

What did PT Barnum say?

He said a lot of things, this was one:

“No man has a right to expect to succeed in life unless he understands his business, and nobody can understand his business thoroughly unless he learns it by personal application and experience.”

Last edited by MuddyWaters; 01-18-2016 at 20:33.

Journal Entries
    Images

? It's just a pair of knots under shrink wrap....you could have at least used a pair of splices onto itself.
    Plaid is fast! Ticks suck, literally... It’s ok, bologna hoses off…
    Follow my hiking adventures: https://www.youtube.com/user/KrizAkoni
    Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/alphagalhikes/

If you want honest feedback - it doesn't look like something I would use. But if it was something I'd use, it looks like it would just take some 550 cord, two slip knots, and some heat shrink tubing. That said, I agree with those above; your post was a solicitation.

I kinda Pride myself on using rope and the many knots I've learned over the years, so it wouldn't be for me. Good luck though.

Journal Entries
    Images

As soon as I saw it I made one out of suspension line, without the shrink wrap. Then I simplified the idea by making it a round turn and clove hitches with a bowline on the other end.

I'm with the others, I don't hang things off my pack.

[Those of us who have been suspended by it know its called suspension line.]
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

Grapevine knot on a loop. I've seen this somewhere before, maybe in a climbing book. Not as neat as a jug sling.

Images

No, I would not use this. no serious backpacker would ever have a full bottle of water swinging wildly off a pack. As others have said, hang at your own peril. If I were to hang, there are very simple knots that do the same job. Not sure why I would buy something that I can make myself. In fact, a week ago I made a similiar functioning device to hold an umbrella off my shoulder strap. Not hard to do, I had the materials and my version was lighter and easier to use. But other than that good luck in your endevour.

I'm also a sailor, I like tying my own knots. It would drive me nuts having the knot hidden under a bit of shrink wrap, never being able to check on it for fraying or slippage. I know a lot of people who don't tie knots, and they tend to use cord locks and carabiners.

Yep, definitely the wrong market here. Not something a real backpacker would need, want or use.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++