WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Heliotrope View Post
    Nah. I do not know the numbers. But the bodies of dead children have been carried from the summit. Leave the arrogance aside and respect the potential power of this, The Greatest Mountain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    come now, is katahdin really all that especially dangerous?

can you cite one case of a dead child being carried off the mountain?

can you name one of other place in the country with a similar restriction on people below a certain age not being allowed above treeline?

can you make an argument that is not about safety but rather about how letting a 5 year old child above treeline can damage the environment in ways that, to cite another post, allowing unaccompanied 15 year olds can not?

This is beyond ridiculous. Should be deeded back to the Native Americans it was stolen from.
    Let's head for the roundhouse; they can't corner us there!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Last Call View Post
    This is beyond ridiculous. Should be deeded back to the Native Americans it was stolen from.
    have you ever been on a reservation? cause i have. what would happen to katahdin if this somehow ever took place would not be pretty.

Journal Entries

What an amazing country we live in, where people can spend time arguing about minutia outside their control, that has no bearing on them.

The other 98% of the world ,shake head and go back to work to scrape out their next meal .

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    What an amazing country we live in, where people can spend time arguing about minutia outside their control, that has no bearing on them.

The other 98% of the world ,shake head and go back to work to scrape out their next meal .
    point well taken but you should re think the 98% part. and it is certainly not limited to this country.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by D2maine View Post
    this is possibly the stupidest thing i have read on the internet in weeks congrats.

i understand your thing is to try and make inflammatory statements to get a rise out of people,
    Looks like it worked.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L’Amour

Images

have you ever been on a reservation? cause i have. what would happen to katahdin if this somehow ever took place would not be pretty.

cigarettes and gambling and alcohol problems at the top of katahdin, yee haw.....

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    cigarettes and gambling and alcohol problems at the top of katahdin, yee haw.....
    many of them couldnt make it to the top or wouldnt bother trying, unless someone put in a horse trail. or maybe theyll build a lift and then a giant glass walkway across the knife edge

A better way to decide who goes up the mountain, other than age might be...
    ”3 questions kid”
    Do you love your country?
    Ever flick anyone?
    Whats your favorite colors?

Yes
    i would never do that
    red, white and blue

Your heart is true...you may pass.

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    come now, is katahdin really all that especially dangerous?

can you cite one case of a dead child being carried off the mountain?

can you name one of other place in the country with a similar restriction on people below a certain age not being allowed above treeline?

can you make an argument that is not about safety but rather about how letting a 5 year old child above treeline can damage the environment in ways that, to cite another post, allowing unaccompanied 15 year olds can not?
    In response to dangerous, the short answer is yes. Much like the northern White Mountains, Mt. Katahdin can go from benign to extremely dangerous in a very short period of time, wind being the primary ingredient to condition degradation. Though conditions are not quite as fierce as Mt. Washington can be, Mt. Katahdin is at the edge of the same weather corridor where large weather systems can collide and cause problems. Since the mid 1960s over 20 people have died from exposure or literally being blown off of the mountain while on the Knifes Edge. People can be easily caught on exposed terrain that becomes deadly by exceptionally fast weather changes quickly developing into hypothermic conditions and difficult footing.

Policy issues usually have some solid foundation that necessitated them, which may not be evident at a casual glance. For example, the under 6 rule may not have as much to do with physical ability as it does with child control and size. A 4 year old is nearly impossible to control by voice if they take off after something like a wind blown hat or to see something, which could be the reason for the policy. Even in what we would consider light winds of 25 mph, it could be enough to teeter a 4 year old over the edge of a rock, cliff, or trail like the Knifes Edge. As an aside, BSP does have the option to charge for rescue if they determine the party being rescued was reckless. I think the last time they exercised that was in 2014 for about $10,000 to recoup SAR costs.

I would suggest submitting policy questions to the Park Authority via letter or Emal (baxterstateparkauthority.com) or call the Park Headquarters at (207) 723-5140. I have always found park personnel to be very friendly and helpful and would be able to answer these questions.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    In response to dangerous, the short answer is yes. Much like the northern White Mountains, Mt. Katahdin can go from benign to extremely dangerous in a very short period of time, wind being the primary ingredient to condition degradation.
    that mst be why you hear about some many 5 year old children dying weather related deaths in the northern presis, colorado, the sierra nevada, canada, alaska, etc. they should really consider adopting the BSP policies and end all the carnage.

that mst be why you hear about some many 5 year old children dying weather related deaths in the northern presis, colorado, the sierra nevada, canada, alaska, etc. they should really consider adopting the BSP policies and end all the carnage.
    You are obviously very passionate about your opinion on this. So take action. Otherwise you are just a lazy whiner. Fight for those rights that Baxter State Park denies you. You could be a hero to preschoolers everywhere.

"I would suggest submitting policy questions to the Park Authority via letter or Emal (baxterstateparkauthority.com) or call the Park Headquarters at (207) 723-5140. I have always found park personnel to be very friendly and helpful and would be able to answer these questions."

Images

Quote Originally Posted by putts View Post
    You are obviously very passionate about your opinion on this. So take action. Otherwise you are just a lazy whiner. Fight for those rights that Baxter State Park denies you. You could be a hero to preschoolers everywhere.

"I would suggest submitting policy questions to the Park Authority via letter or Emal (baxterstateparkauthority.com) or call the Park Headquarters at (207) 723-5140. I have always found park personnel to be very friendly and helpful and would be able to answer these questions."
    if i sent an e-mail about everything in the world that didnt make any sense it'd be a full time job.

your argument is just another variant on "why do people bother discussing things on internet discussion boards." a totally fair point, but it begs the question of why you read it and feel the need to reply and tell people, in essence, that they shouldnt bother talking. its rather curious.

Can't really speak to the hyperbole, but site you've the tools to get answers to your questions.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post

I've been off WhiteBlaze awhile but I can see not much has changed
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

UPDATE....

It seems Kami contacted BSP about two weeks ago to ask about the kid. Guess we’ll have to wait to see what happens...

https://youtu.be/KZvMGQ2yWlc

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7
++ New Posts ++