WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Bears and Shelters

I have read about several incidents this year (on Trailjournals.com) with bears stealing food bags and even coming into shelters along the N.C. section of the AT (sorry I don't recall the specific location). As everyone knows, when bears start a pattern of this type behavior it is bad for hikers and very bad for the bear. Are there any plans to trap this bear or bears and attempt a relocation?

Images

The incidents are happening at the two shelters north of Max Patch, Roaring Fork and I think Walnut Mtn. I haven't heard if any action is being taken other than stressing hikers to hang their food properly.

As in "dessert" not "desert"

At this point, they should be more vigilant about actively scaring these bears off if they come around. They are already learning hiker=food. They need to "unlearn it", or bad news awaits. They need literal "bells and whistles" or firecrackers, or whatnot, to drive the bears away from the shelters and teach them hiker=pain in the ass.

Images

attempt a relocation? of the shelter? walnut mtn has been there since the 30s I believe.

Moving a Mtn. is no pain for our Govt. They"ve relocated most of our Mtns. last year to allow smoother traffic to and from the Penn State Football (profit) games.

just wait for a hiker carrying a concealed weapon to take matters into their own hands...the general consensus among the gun carrying population seems to be that law enforcement(of any kind) can't be relied upon to 'protect the population from the big scary world' and that it's their 'right' to preempt the law and to dispense 'cowboy justice' as they see fit. there won't be too many problem animals left in gsmnp...at least not 4 legged ones.

Quote Originally Posted by sofaking View Post
    just wait for a hiker carrying a concealed weapon to take matters into their own hands...the general consensus among the gun carrying population seems to be that law enforcement(of any kind) can't be relied upon to 'protect the population from the big scary world' and that it's their 'right' to preempt the law and to dispense 'cowboy justice' as they see fit. there won't be too many problem animals left in gsmnp...at least not 4 legged ones.
    What a load of crap.

Quote Originally Posted by take-a-knee View Post
    What a load of crap.
    why don't you go back and re-read the previous few days posts?

Quote Originally Posted by take-a-knee View Post
    What a load of crap.
    Maybe, two loads!
    Moses

Images

So much of what you say is true up to the "scary world" part. Gun owners do have rights. Responsible ones won't be preempting the law (I assume you realize that criminals and people who want to hurt you are not preempting the law, but ignoring it totally) and they won't be dispensing cowboy justice as they see fit, but, actually protecting their families rights as well as their own and other American citizens rights as well.

I know a guy who is a good Christian (just an example, could be any religion) and a nice person. He is so anti-violent that if a criminal broke into his house and began torturing and/or murdering his family, he would not fight back and would ask the guy to stop, but, not intervene with any violence. I, on the other hand, would fight to protect my family and myself.
    And you may hate me for this, but, I have actually yelled and cursed at bears who had endangered my family. I actually have even hit a bear as hard as I could who was breaking into our tent while we were sleeping.

Call PITA!!
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

why would i care about you yelling at and hitting bears? at least you didn't need to 'bust a cap in his a$$'...and did you mean p.e.t.a.?, people eating tasty animals?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Blazer View Post
    So much of what you say is true . . .
    Call PITA!!
    Nice rant, but it's PETA, whereas I'm being a PITA.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Two Speed View Post
    Nice rant, but it's PETA, whereas I'm being a PITA.
    Whoops! Dang!!
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Wow, how'd you get a badger that far up your poop?

Boy, you really don't understand this whole carrying thing at all do ya? Almost no one who legally carries will use the weapon, its a last ditch thing.

I only know of 2 people that I have known that have openly brandished a firearm at someone.

1) A man broke into an older man's house (down the street from where I used to live), shot the old man in the leg when he came out of his room asking who was there, the old man shot and wounded the intruder, when the intruder proceeded to keep shooting and not leave, his was killed.

2) Friend of mine was driving around his ranch when he caught an ol' boy road hunting, told him to leave, and they drove off, next time he spotted them that day, they had a loaded gun in the passenger seat and where aiming at a buck with another rifle in the drivers seat.

So, he drove up with his rifle out the window, parked next to them, and told them to wait, the game warden was on his way to arrest them.

Quote Originally Posted by taildragger View Post
    Wow, how'd you get a badger that far up your poop?

Boy, you really don't understand this whole carrying thing at all do ya? Almost no one who legally carries will use the weapon, its a last ditch thing.

I only know of 2 people that I have known that have openly brandished a firearm at someone.

1) A man broke into an older man's house (down the street from where I used to live), shot the old man in the leg when he came out of his room asking who was there, the old man shot and wounded the intruder, when the intruder proceeded to keep shooting and not leave, his was killed.

2) Friend of mine was driving around his ranch when he caught an ol' boy road hunting, told him to leave, and they drove off, next time he spotted them that day, they had a loaded gun in the passenger seat and where aiming at a buck with another rifle in the drivers seat.

So, he drove up with his rifle out the window, parked next to them, and told them to wait, the game warden was on his way to arrest them.
    and none of that has anything to do with carrying concealed on the trail...

sounds like it's dumb to stay in shelters

and none of that has anything to do with carrying concealed on the trail...
    And your point is....

You jumped the gun and said that people LIKE ME go and dispense cowboy justice and that hikers carrying concealed weapons on the trail are going to shoot all the bears and other 4 legged critters (paraphrased).

My point is, that someone who is carrying usually doesn't use the weapon unless its a last resort. A bear stealing someones food isn't going to get shot (well, highly unlikely, and I'll play the odds here).

Quote Originally Posted by taildragger View Post
    And your point is....

You jumped the gun and said that people LIKE ME go and dispense cowboy justice and that hikers carrying concealed weapons on the trail are going to shoot all the bears and other 4 legged critters (paraphrased).

My point is, that someone who is carrying usually doesn't use the weapon unless its a last resort. A bear stealing someones food isn't going to get shot (well, highly unlikely, and I'll play the odds here).
    explain to me how you legally carry on the trail.

The only problem animals in the Smokies are the two-legged ones.

explain to me how you legally carry on the trail.
    The way that I understand it is that it is legal to carry firearms in certain sections of the trail.

From www.appalachiantrail.org

"ATC strongly discourages hikers from carrying firearms. In areas of the Trail corridor where hunting is legal, hikers may see hunters carrying firearms. On National Park Service lands outside national recreation areas, possession of firearms by private citizens is illegal. The prohibition applies on many other public lands as well. Where firearms are allowed, state laws on licenses, registration, and related matters govern."

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++