WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    -

Default sleeping in the cold tonight

so I see 10-K is going to try out the cold - my local prediction is -16 with 19 mph wind, I think that is a little colder than I have tried

who else wants to give it a shot and give a synopsis on this thread

That's tempting but I just lent my good sleeping bag to a friend for a section hike they're doing. Maybe I can get it back before they leave
    There's no reward at the end for the most miserable thru-hiker.
    After gear you can do a thru for $2,000.
    No training is a substitute for just going and hiking the AT. You'll get in shape.

You are a brave man, George. I do my winter camping in my uninsulated bedroom, where the temps have been running 36-38 degrees. That's perfect for sleeping, and about as cold as I want to go.

Wow just saw George's temperature prediction, up here near Philly it's "only" been getting down to about 5 at night, but -16 makes me look like a pansy.
    No training is a substitute for just going and hiking the AT. You'll get in shape.

-

Quote Originally Posted by jdc5294 View Post
    That's tempting but I just lent my good sleeping bag to a friend for a section hike they're doing. Maybe I can get it back before they leave
    try a system of 2 standard bags

-

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    so I see 10-K is going to try out the cold - my local prediction is -16 with 19 mph wind, I think that is a little colder than I have tried

who else wants to give it a shot and give a synopsis on this thread

mine will be a bivy and sierra design - 20 bag, with another bag draped over if needed

Images

My son gave me an igloo kit--Grand Shelters Ice Box. He works with a guy who lives in the Black Forest in Germany who says he builds and camps in them regularly. The instructional video is set in Colorado. Two people are supposed to be able to build it in a couple of hours. The literature says the inside temperature will stay near freezing, no matter how cold it is outside.

Some of my coworkers and I are going to build one tomorrow. Hopefully I'll get to spend the night in it before winter is over.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Images

BTW, a lot of the strategy for keeping warm is not really about gear as much as about site selection and body heat management. I suspect 10-K has a pretty good handle on those things already, and will enjoy challenging himself.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Marta View Post
    BTW, a lot of the strategy for keeping warm is not really about gear as much as about site selection and body heat management.
    I know I definitely slept warmer in cold weather when I slept in only my shorts and hat vs bundled up with all my clothes. Letting the sleeping bag do it's job of trapping your body heat is a good idea.

Most, if not all people, will sleep warmer wearing base layers and other insulating clothing inside sleeping bags. The layering techniques and principles we use outside the sleeping bag (base layer, mid layer, shell) don't magically change inside a sleeping bag. The myth of sleeping warmer naked or near naked comes from the days of hikers wearing wet cotton clothing inside sleeping bags. Today, not many people wear cotton. Instead we wear wool and polypro fabrics that keep us warm when damp. I'm not trying to discount your anecdotal advice. Hike your own hike.

Journal Entries
    Images

OK George, write us in the morning . . . . . or when you come in from the cold. Me, I am camped out right now next to the fireplace, haw, haw!
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jdc5294 View Post
    I know I definitely slept warmer in cold weather when I slept in only my shorts and hat vs bundled up with all my clothes. Letting the sleeping bag do it's job of trapping your body heat is a good idea.
    I wear enough clothes in my sleeping bag to allow me to get out of it when I need to. ;-)
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Marta View Post
    I wear enough clothes in my sleeping bag to allow me to get out of it when I need to. ;-)
    Ditto, especially if camped near other hikers. Keeps 'em from trying to tuck dollar bills in your skivvies while you're dancing around freezing looking for the privvy or a suitable place.

Did you guys/gals see this thread posted the other day? I watched it and I still can't believe it....

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...best-40degrees

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    Ditto, especially if camped near other hikers. Keeps 'em from trying to tuck dollar bills in your skivvies while you're dancing around freezing looking for the privvy or a suitable place.
    Never found a dollar bill but one time the guy I'd joined up with for a couple weeks decided it was hilarious to turn my sleeping bag inside out when I went to relieve myself, and in my half asleep state coming back I was looking for a blue sleeping bag and I only saw a grey one, took me literally 2 minutes to realize what happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

Yeah, seems you can get punked anywhere these days. As long as you know the other person well enough and they will find it funny, that's a pretty good one. I'd never do that or anything similar to someone that I didn't know well enough though.

Journal Entries
    Images

I'm with Marta, keep well clothed and ready to jump out of the bag. I watched the video! Wheweeee! That looked cold!
    Last edited by SunnyWalker; 01-05-2014 at 15:40.
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

It is not going to be cold enough here tonight to sleep outside but tomorrow night I'm going to sleep out in my hammock. Of course that will not be much of a big deal compared to Shug's -40º night in his hammock. I spent a night on Roan High Knob in my hammock with a low of 1º, 35-40 mph wind gusts and deep snow. Two hangers there had just come from hanging in Ely, MN at -24º.
    I am not young enough to know everything.

Yowsa. I'll bet that frostbite had a lot to do with having the guts to make a decent video for us. Thanks. Great stuff. Watch that finger, and other appendages.

Images

One of the things they mention in the igloo material is that, inside the igloo, neither your water bottles nor your boots will freeze. I can't wait to try it!
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++