WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Trail angels in the Smokies

Hey all:

I am going with my family down the Smokies first week of April. We will be doing some day hikes with the kids while down there. I was thinking it would be a nice thing to bring in some food to passing throughikers.

a) WIll northbound through hikers be going through the Smokies first week of April?
    b) What would be a most appreciated food item to receive while on the trail?

I've never through hiked but would like to someday.

(I'm new here and I think I just posted on the wrong forum. I am re-posting this here in the "General" forum. Sorry...)

Images

to WB. Answers a) Yes b) Most anything. I don't know if the park service will let you set up a trail angel cookout in the park. I'm sure you can get creative.

Journal Entries
    Images

You should encounter plenty of hikers in the Smokies. The best place to hang out would probably be at Newfound Gap. As to what to bring it is up to you. Little Debbie snacks and cold drinks are always good (and easy). What many of the hikers will need at that point, however, is a ride into Gatlinburg. So, if you have the space and can stand some smelly hikers a ride would be most appreciated. Also, if you stay in GBurg, swing by the outfitter (Happy Hiker) in the morning and see if anyone is lingering and needs a ride back to Newfound Gap.

Anyway, have fun and to WB.

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

bring stuff to feed bears too

Images

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf View Post
    bring stuff to feed bears too
    All you need is some honey to put on your kids fingers and let the bears lick it off. (Please, don't anybody really do that.)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Blazer View Post
    All you need is some honey to put on your kids fingers and let the bears lick it off. (Please, don't anybody really do that.)
    First off yess DON"T do this!!!

Back in 01 when I went thru the smokies I had the oportunity to speak to a Park Ranger who was out with a group to trap a problem bear. We were talking about some of the stupid things people do to get a picture of bears. One of the stories he related to me was that a family saw a bear and thought it would be a good idea to pour honey on their childs hand and get a picture of the cute bear licking honey off the childs hand. You can surmise the outcome. Great day went horribly wrong.
    A Fact Of Life:

After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says;

W T F...............

KB3SYZ
    -.- -... ...-- ... -.-- --..

http://shakeyleggs.wordpress.com/

Default I think...

Krewzer and Rabbit do a hamburger feed at Fontana every year...

Clingmans Dome in midmorning would be a good place, There are two shelters within five miles to the south. And any hkers you encounter from that direction will have just completed a good climb to the highest point on the entire AT.

Also, the Mt. Collins shelter (between Clingmans Dome and Newfound Gap) is an easy walk if you park on the Clingmans Dome road at the Fork Ridge trailhead. (From there, go north to the AT, turn left to the Sugarland Mtn Trail, then right to the shelter.)

I would contact the park first, to know what their regulations are for trail magic. This could prevent a well intended event from becoming a unpleasant one.

Images

Obviously, the Gap is the best place. The one thing that most thrus have a hungrin' for (other than cheeseburgers) is anything sweet. So a trip to Costco and loading up on a couple of boxes of Hostess Twinkies and Cupcakes would be just fine.

Second thing that is most missed is a damn fine cup of coffee. Go to Starbucks and get a couple of their large carriers (like 20 cups) and a bunch of REAL half-and-half and sugar. Don't forget cups. This will get you a lot of conversation time, too.

One thing: Do your best to make sure you REALLY get thrus. I had a spontaneous moment a few years back and just bought a cold six pack of Corona and hike a couple miles up the trail to a shelter one afternoon and asked a couple small groups, "Are you thru hiking." A couple of them said yes when they saw the brewskis, but obviously weren't, and admitted it after a question or two. Finally found one nice lady who obviously was. She went a little nuts when I left the six pack for her by herself. Moral of the story: Make sure they really are the real deal before you do the handouts.

The Weasel
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Quote Originally Posted by The Weasel View Post
    Obviously, the Gap is the best place. The one thing that most thrus have a hungrin' for (other than cheeseburgers) is anything sweet. So a trip to Costco and loading up on a couple of boxes of Hostess Twinkies and Cupcakes would be just fine.

Second thing that is most missed is a damn fine cup of coffee. Go to Starbucks and get a couple of their large carriers (like 20 cups) and a bunch of REAL half-and-half and sugar. Don't forget cups. This will get you a lot of conversation time, too.

One thing: Do your best to make sure you REALLY get thrus. I had a spontaneous moment a few years back and just bought a cold six pack of Corona and hike a couple miles up the trail to a shelter one afternoon and asked a couple small groups, "Are you thru hiking." A couple of them said yes when they saw the brewskis, but obviously weren't, and admitted it after a question or two. Finally found one nice lady who obviously was. She went a little nuts when I left the six pack for her by herself. Moral of the story: Make sure they really are the real deal before you do the handouts.

The Weasel
    elitism at it's finest. the real deal. give me a friggin break.

Images

elitism at it's finest. the real deal. give me a friggin break.
    You get a break whenever you need it, Wolf. If I'm going to try to do something for thrus, I'm going to try to do the best I can. Powdered creamer just isn't the best. Wouldn't have it for you, wouldn't have it for anyone else.

The Weasel
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

No soup for you!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    No soup for you!
    Soup is what I usually carry!

The Weasel

in weasel's eyes, thru-hikers are better than all other hikers. figures. in the feeds i was involved in nobody got interrogated before being fed. a hiker is a hiker.

Images

Wolf, you don't make any sense, and then you add lies on top.

The first post here made it clear that they want to help "throughhikers". That's how I was responding.

Second, most of the feeds I suspect you have gone to have been at places that weren't loaded - as Newfound Gap will be in April - with section hikers and daytrippers. Without a little effort, this guy isn't going to get his kindness to where he wants it to go.

And lastly, while I don't think thru-hikers are better than other hikers - since I do a lot of short hikes on long trails too - I do think there is a difference between someone who is doing a weekender and someone who is chugging through from NOC to past the Smokies. The weekender is going to get their steak and beer tomorrow night; the thru is looking at noodles for another few days until Mountain Moma's.

Sorry to be right. I know that makes you crazy.

The Weasel

you're wrong any you're an elitist jerk.

Images

you're wrong any you're an elitist jerk.
    Go whine elsewhere, Wolf. Pumpkin's a nice guy. I'm glad there are people like him; they make the world a nice place. Hope to meet him on the trail one day so I can see he gets some 'magic' too.

Go whine elsewhere, Wolf. Pumpkin's a nice guy. I'm glad there are people like him; they make the world a nice place. Hope to meet him on the trail one day so I can see he gets some 'magic' too.
    no whinin' here, hoss. i've done more trail "magic" by accident than you'll ever do on purpose and i never asked if a person was thru-hiking or not. i don't judge. i treated and fed all equally.

i mistreated and offended all equally.
    Good for you.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++