WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Crazy? Alternative to Northern Terminus-

I was just looking at the Long Trail and agree with the Burlington to St.Albans to Richford options as pretty easy if you are flexible. Here's the crazy part. On the north side of town (Richford) you will see Golf Course road (a mile up from 105). If you follow that road you will reach the border itself. Walking a mile or so from the bus station takes you to this intersection- according to google earth- you can walk up the road to the border (ends at a dirt turnaround), then walk the border clearing to the terminus. All told only 8 miles, and to be honest, probably a pretty cool walk. Is that seriously asking for trouble though walking through the border clearing? We're friendly with the Canooks but these days strolling along the border may not be the wisest plan based upon other's posts. I know Vermont isn't a tough hitch, but this looks like a pretty pleasant walk all in all- and kind of a cool way to start/end your trip. Let me know what you think???

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    I was just looking at the Long Trail and agree with the Burlington to St.Albans to Richford options as pretty easy if you are flexible. Here's the crazy part. On the north side of town (Richford) you will see Golf Course road (a mile up from 105). If you follow that road you will reach the border itself. Walking a mile or so from the bus station takes you to this intersection- according to google earth- you can walk up the road to the border (ends at a dirt turnaround), then walk the border clearing to the terminus. All told only 8 miles, and to be honest, probably a pretty cool walk. Is that seriously asking for trouble though walking through the border clearing? We're friendly with the Canooks but these days strolling along the border may not be the wisest plan based upon other's posts. I know Vermont isn't a tough hitch, but this looks like a pretty pleasant walk all in all- and kind of a cool way to start/end your trip. Let me know what you think???
    I don't think you'll have a problem:

USA Canada.jpeg606-20071108-USCANADA-BORDER.large.prod_affiliate.91.jpg
    Last edited by atraildreamer; 07-17-2013 at 18:12.

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

I'd say give it a try and let everyone know how it goes, BUT:You'd probably get intervepted and vaporrized by a Predator drone with a Hellfire missle. And all we would see on the news was that a Taliban invasion force was engaged and destroyed right on our northern border. Justifying further reductions in our civil liberies.So perhaps you should stick with the tried and true route.

I know a boarder patrol agent who works that neck of the woods. He says there are all kinds of sensers planted along the boarder. You may very well trip one and have a lot of explaining to do. If they expend resources to find you, they will not be happy. They are mostly concerned with smuggling - cigerettes, liquere and dope.

In any event, although the boarder is a wide clear cut, it is typcially over grown with brush and walking along it would not be easy or pleasent.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Well- that's why I asked. I wouldn't expect much trouble- but if there was some I agree it would likely not be met with a "pleasant day to you fine citizen". I suppose I was thinking more of the powerline right of ways I occasionally travel around here (good way to get in some lengthy, but relatively easy bushwhacking)- but Slo-go'en is likely right- that's likely not a pleasant prairie to stroll. Perhaps I should do it the "normal way" first, and save the adventure for next time. While I got some knowledgeable folks- what say you about August travel on the LT? It's been quite a rain season along the whole trail, so it seems most conventional wisdom is out the window...

I did it E2E SOBO last August. Except for the trail being a bit more soggy then it was last year, it looks like typical August weather - hot and humid at the start of the month, starting to get pleasent mid month and then some down right chilly nights towards September. Expect to get wet a few times.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Yar- sounds about right- looks like we both leapfrogged each other, I just posted in the other Vermont forum. My only hike was the AT portion in September. I don't remember fording being an issue (maybe north of the junction?)- but a recent hiker mentioned a bridge out and a few other detours. Sounded bad, but overblown? Although not pleasant, the trail is quite passable still correct?

Registered User Different Socks's Avatar
    Images

Bushwhacking thru trees to get to one of the NE 100 highest, I burst out of the woods to the 20 yard wide border cut by the Canadians. I walked to the right up and over several peaks to get to my destination and never had a problem on the way there or back. No helis, no agents, no ATv's, no nothing.
    Here's the other strange part: I did my last 30 miles of the long Trail back in 2005, finishing at the border. I walked for 1/2 mile east and west and again didn't have a problem with border patrol.
    Why should it be a problem for anyone if you are simply walking the line between countries? What the hell would they charge you with?

Probably no biggie- on the other hand- I'll have a little too tight a schedule to find out. I actually originally looked at my alternative as a time saver and a nice warm up. Maybe...

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

More than a few PNT hikers were chased by border patrol agents. The trail snakes along very close to the US/CDN border. Look upBuck 30s journal from last year or the year before. It is on postholer.com nothing happened..the officials were ah,,curious though. And very out of breath!
    Last edited by Mags; 07-17-2013 at 00:11.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

There is a new England hundred highest in Maine that is on the ridgeline that separates US from Canada. There are no official trails to this summit but for folks doing the list they need to climb it. One of the two approaches is via the border swath along the ridgeline for several miles. The US side of the border is all private timber company lands and accessed by logging roads. The border patrol keep a close eye on the area. Its is legal to walk along the border swath. Some folks from VFTT.org were out climbing winter summits in the area and were stopped twice in three days by border patrol. If you are considering it you may want to let the border patrol folks now in advance.

Looking at Google earth, you have one major water crossing which may require going into Canada to cross. The land along the border is privately owned and therefore an owner has the right to stop you from crossing their land.

You're talking about the river with the bridge about midway, right? As you mentioned, I'd probably have to dip into the land of maple syrup for a minute or two to walk that bridge. A quick step on a country road- except that country road is the border. I've paddled across in Boundary Waters (with a gun no less)- I've crossed it in the middle of nowhere. But many of those adventures were before 9/11, and what is really just a harmless backpacker out for a stroll isn't that simple anymore. I highly doubt anything serious would happen, but I also know a few winks, nudges, and Canadian jokes won't do either. Common sense I'm sure still rules the day- but policy and procedure may leave you sitting there for an hour or two while somebody sends your DL# up and down the chain to give you the all clear. As some folks mentioned, this could happen a few times per stroll. As slo-go'en mentioned, the clearing isn't quite as clear as one might hope. Even though the road walk is near double- it may take the same amount of time, and you aren't as "middle of nowhere" as it may seem, there's several road crossings and properties in the area, lot's of private property to cross too. A bit of a risk for someone coming from Chicago with limited time to spare. Some of the adventure/intrigue is pushing me a bit- but all in all- not shaping up as the best idea for a quick trip- if there's a local though- or you're up that-a-way- take a looksee.

Images

Default Crazy? Alternative to Northern Terminus-

Yes. You are asking for trouble. I fish that area upto the canadian border and over into canada 1apwhile following the missisquoi river west to east... 20 yrs ago no prob,15 yrs ago no prob, after they built ne border patrol and customs check points its almost certain to get caught...but hey, if u have an extra $10 k (fine) and 1-10 yrs (for prison sentence) then go ahead! Oh by the way-it brings more scrutiny to our lifestyle by breaking laws like this! So u deserve exactly wat u get if engage in this and if i saw u doin this i wud rat u out!

Quote Originally Posted by goody5534 View Post
    Yes. You are asking for trouble. I fish that area upto the canadian border and over into canada 1apwhile following the missisquoi river west to east... 20 yrs ago no prob,15 yrs ago no prob, after they built ne border patrol and customs check points its almost certain to get caught
    And getting caught became a much more serious issue post 9-11-01. I wouldn't risk it.
    Love people and use things; never the reverse.

Mt. Katahdin would be a lot quicker to climb if its darn access trail didn't start all the way down in Georgia.

Quote Originally Posted by da fungo View Post
    I'd say give it a try and let everyone know how it goes, BUT:You'd probably get intervepted and vaporrized by a Predator drone with a Hellfire missle. And all we would see on the news was that a Taliban invasion force was engaged and destroyed right on our northern border. Justifying further reductions in our civil liberies.So perhaps you should stick with the tried and true route.
    I thought Hellfire missiles turned you into "Frog Mulch" and then vaporized you. yuk yuk

After experiences I've had in recent years I'd have to say this is a bad idea. DHS has been pretty strict on VT Route 105 and all the roads north of it. Been stopped several times just for driving down some roads (Golf Course, Corliss, North Jay, Journeys End, 105A, etc.) BTW they don't need probable cause to stop you....just google "constitution free zone". They are especially on the lookout for people on foot with backpacks crossing the border because it's usually drugs or human trafficking. They really don't mess around anymore.

++ New Posts ++