WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: EARLY Gear List

Default EARLY Gear List

Hoping for some help with my gear list. I have been lucky enough to work at an outfitter for a while and was able to attain basically everything I need pretty early. I am still looking to upgrade a few items as I tweak my setup but please let me know what y'all think about weights, items, etc.

Big 4
    Osprey Exos 46 (37 oz)
    Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1 (32 oz)
    Thermarest NeoAir XLite (12 oz)
    Mountain Hardwear Phantom 15* w/ Q.Shield Down (17 oz)

Clothes
    Nylon Shorts(Patagonia Baggies or something similar) (~4.5 oz)
    Columbia synthetic shirt(May change to a merino shirt) (~5 oz)
    Patagonia Cap 3 bottoms (6.8 oz)
    Patagonia R1 Hoody (12.6 oz)
    *Patagonia NanoPuff P/O (10 oz)
    *Marmot PreCip RainShell (13 oz)
    Ex Officio Boxer Briefs (3 oz)
    Smart Wool PhD Sock
    REI Midweight Wool Sock(for Sleeping)
    *TNF Apex Gloves (3 oz)

*will be sent home or exchanged for lighter items when needed

Cookware

Primus Express Stove Ti (~3 oz)
    Platypus 3L Hoser(only used at camp) (3.8 oz)
    Snowpeak Trek 900 Ti (4.8 oz)
    Sea-to-Summit AlphaLight Long spork (.4 oz)
    Sawyer Mini water filter (1.2 oz)
    Platypus Platy-Bottle 2L (1.3 oz)

Misc
    First Aid Kit+Batteries+Phone Charger+etc (~10 oz)
    Princeton Tec Remix Headlamp (83 grams)

All-in-all, I think everything adds up to about a 15 lbs without food/water...which will bump me up to about 27 lbs(which is what I usually hover around for 3-5 day hikes).

I am pretty content with the weight, but I wouldn't mind shaving off probably 3-5 lbs where I can find it.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Your list looks good. You could save some ounces but if you already have the gear I'd go with it.

I would consider:
    3 pairs of socks, two for hiking and one for sleeping.
    Aqua Mira instead of a filter.

If you want to change some of your items out to save weight I would look at:
    Tent, plenty of 20 something ounce tents out there.
    DriDuck rain jacket, save 6 oz. of weight over the PreCip
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Images

This is a great list. The next step down to U/L would be to change the tent for a tarp. You could lose as much as 2 lbs. My only suggestion is that if you have cold hands, MLD mitts (1.5 oz) and I bring a second pair of camp gloves in the cold when rain is on the horizon. Good Work.....

This doesn't seem accurate

Quote Originally Posted by apd07c View Post

This doesn't seem accurate
    That's because it's not. Thanks for pointing that out.

Mtn Hardwear Phantom bag weighs in at 33 oz, per the MH website.

Also, I was looking at tarps, I'm still an in-betweener when it comes to UL backpacking. Most of what is on the list are items I've had for years and am comfortable with and then a few big upgrades (bag, tent, pad).

q-tip,
    Mitts are definitely something I want to upgrade... I've looked at the ZPacks mitts but i'll check those out too. Also, I was looking at tarps, I'm still an in-betweener when it comes to UL backpacking. Most of what's on the list are items I've had for years and am comfortable using and then a few big upgrades (bag, tent, pad).

thanks for the help guys... really appreciate input from those that have "been there/done that"

Quote Originally Posted by q-tip View Post
    This is a great list. The next step down to U/L would be to change the tent for a tarp. You could lose as much as 2 lbs. My only suggestion is that if you have cold hands, MLD mitts (1.5 oz) and I bring a second pair of camp gloves in the cold when rain is on the horizon. Good Work.....
    His tent weighs 2 lbs. If he switches to a tarp how can he possibly lose 2 lbs?
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

It would be a mighty small tarp!
    Todd

If your looking to shed some weight and your wallet here are a few quick suggestions.

Zpacks Artic Blast 19oz saved 18oz
    Zpacks Hexamid Sloped Tent saved 16oz
    HG Burro TQ Wide/ Long 20 degree w 2 extra ounces of down saved 11oz
    Replace the Patagonia nano for a Mont Bell EX 4.4oz saved
    Marmot Precip for a Marmot Mica saved 5.5oz
    Drop the platypus hoser for a platypus bag since you are just using if for camp water. Saved 2oz

Total weight savings 56.9oz or 3.9lbs rounded up

Quote Originally Posted by Shonryu View Post
    If your looking to shed some weight and your wallet here are a few quick suggestions.

Zpacks Artic Blast 19oz saved 18oz
    Zpacks Hexamid Sloped Tent saved 16oz
    HG Burro TQ Wide/ Long 20 degree w 2 extra ounces of down saved 11oz
    Replace the Patagonia nano for a Mont Bell EX 4.4oz saved
    Marmot Precip for a Marmot Mica saved 5.5oz
    Drop the platypus hoser for a platypus bag since you are just using if for camp water. Saved 2oz

Total weight savings 56.9oz or 3.9lbs rounded up
    Thanks for the info! Some of the things listed are things I already dropped money on, so I'll be less likely to immediately upgrade those, but I am looking to potentially move to a ULA pack...how would you compare those to the Zpacks that you mentioned? I've looked at ZPacks but don't know anyone who has used them. The Nano can be replaced and so can the PreCip....they are just what I've got right now. My hoser needs to go as well...I've had a rough time finding a water system that I've liked...I've gone from a bladder and nalgene to just nalgene bottles to water bottles and a bladder, etc, etc... I tend to suck down water throughout the day, too. But we'll see what I come up with.

All in all...i think with a few of those upgrades that I could swing(budget-wise), you've dropped me by a couple lbs probably. NICE!

I'm also thinking about just using the PreCip as a colder weather shell(southern mtns/whites/maine). I have the new Spring '14 Alpine Houdini that is a lot more water repellant than the previous year's model and hopefully more durable...so I may switch to that for the hotter months..that'll drop about 8 oz there.

Don't worry too much, most people start with 30 to 40 pounds...

Quote Originally Posted by Dahoyt View Post
    Don't worry too much, most people start with 30 to 40 pounds...
    That's why I'm pretty happy with where I'm at(weight-wise)... I'm more wondering about reviews of some of the products like durability and whatnot. Most of what I have is stuff I've had for a while but some of it has been bought pretty recently, and I'm wondering what I've gotten into for the next year or so for my test hikes. Haha.

If you are looking to switch to merino, Icebreaker makes some great apparel. They are definitely on the pricey side, but you get what you pay for.

Just got back from a trip, and I really like my set up. I just ordered a Patagonia Ultralight Down Shirt which will save 5 oz and it's much more packable than my Nanopuff. Overall, I was really pleased with my entire set up, so I don't know how many more big changes I'll make. I think a UL Down will be a big help and then also maybe a better rain shell? Any suggestions??

To answer your question about ULA packs I highly recommend them. I advised the Blast from Zpacks to help with volume and having load lifters wrapped in a 19oz package is nice. I have a ULA CDT that is smaller in volume that has recently become my go to pack because my volume has drastically been reduced. My only complain is the lack of load lifters. Stripped down my CDT size medium comes in just under 19oz.

As for the Patagonia down shirt I own one and would not recommend using it as your go to puffy jacket. You will see when you get it that it doesn't loft much and the 800 fill is only 90%. I personally perfer a Mont Bell EX Lite or UL. There is such a big difference in loft to weight ratio and it makes a huge difference with warmth. Dont get me wrong the down shirt has its place but I would never count on it as my go to puffy except during summer.

As for rain jackets I can recommend a few.

Zpacks cuban fiber - This will be your lightest option. Their cuban rain kilt has replaced my rain pants for 3 season backpacking. I cant say enough good things about it. By far my favorite piece of rain protection for my lower body. No more problems with my legs dripping from sweat, easy to take off, and I use if for several other uses other then the intended.

Lukes ultralight - Silnylon rain jacket that is UL. He also is using new materials right now. Silnylon doesn't breath at all. If you go this route make sure you get pit zips.

Dri Ducks has an UL rain suit - I used to use these which are very light, breathable, and very cheap. The only problem is durability for some which I never had an issue with. If you decide to go this route know they run a size large. I think my size medium in mens weighted a little under 5oz

Marmot Mica - My personal favorite. I use an Montbell EX Lite most of the time and a Patagonia Down shirt in the summer. Since both dont have front hand pockets or frills I use the Mica to give me some of the things missing from those two jacket like hand pockets and a really nice hood so I can have those things when I layer it over my down if needed.

Marmot Essence - You will shave an ounce off of the Mica but there are no front hand pockets. But that may not be a deal breaker for you like it was for me.

Outdoor Research Helium II - The lack of front pockets was a deal breaker for me as well. I think both the Essence and the Helium II come in close to the same weight but the essence has a few more features the Helium II doesn't.

Montane Smock - I haven't had any experience with this one but a lot of ULers have been flocking to it. Im not sure if its a piece I would trust as my end all be all rain jacket since I really on it to be my shell for my down.

Quote Originally Posted by Shonryu View Post
    To answer your question about ULA packs I highly recommend them. I advised the Blast from Zpacks to help with volume and having load lifters wrapped in a 19oz package is nice. I have a ULA CDT that is smaller in volume that has recently become my go to pack because my volume has drastically been reduced. My only complain is the lack of load lifters. Stripped down my CDT size medium comes in just under 19oz.

As for the Patagonia down shirt I own one and would not recommend using it as your go to puffy jacket. You will see when you get it that it doesn't loft much and the 800 fill is only 90%. I personally perfer a Mont Bell EX Lite or UL. There is such a big difference in loft to weight ratio and it makes a huge difference with warmth. Dont get me wrong the down shirt has its place but I would never count on it as my go to puffy except during summer.
    Thanks for the info. I got the Patagonia UL Down for half off, so I figured I'd jump on it. I'll test it out as soon as I get it and see how it does. As for the pack recommendations, I am leaning toward cutting weight and going with either a ZPacks or ULA... I just need to look at them a bit more. I like to see things in person, so I'll have to go to our outfitter that carries ULA to make a decision but I don't know how to get a hold of a ZPacks pack to check it out. I definitely need the extra volume, so I'd probably go with the ZPacks Arc Blast or ULA Ohm 2.0.

I love Marmot gear, I looked at the Mica and Super Mica and am thinking about going with one of those. Front pockets are definitely a necessity with me because I am not a huge fan of hiking in a shell. I like them mostly for an added layer at camp where I can slip my hands in when they get chilly.

I really appreciate the input. I still consider myself on the verge of UL and want to push to the next level. My base weight for my last 3 day trip was 14 lbs and total around 24 lbs...and looking back, I already know I can cut 3-4 lbs off of that total weight. My goal is 26 lbs for a 5-day supply

*update* Our local outfitter carries ULA and is having a clearance sale that included some of the ULA packs...picked up an Ohm 2.0 for a great price. Packed it out and already love it before I've even taken it out.

++ New Posts ++