WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default For the Plastic Spoon and Fork user

Hey guys,

Through my few travels I have ran into hikers who bring a plastic spoon or fork on the trail with them so I thought I would share something that I found helpful but most of you who use them already know about.

I have a titanium spoon that I used to bring with me hiking and camping, but once I started doing freezer bag cooking I quikly found out that my spoon handle wasn't long enough and I would pretty much scold my hand every bite. Well I could have went right out to get a longer handled spoon from REI or ordered off of amazon or some other online seller but I got to thinking. Any fast food place that sells Milkshakes or other wonderful frozen delights use long handled plastic spoons. So on my last trip car camping trip I stopped by the local steak and shake and asked for a few, no problem absolutely free and they work great if you can get over using plastic.

Anyway this is probably old news to most, but I figured I'd share my idea, I thought this might be helpful if you lose your normal spoon or need a pretty much weightless backup. Plus if you are like me and on a serious budget nothing beats free.

Great, cheap, and easy for ultra-light - for sure!

Out of curiosity, which Ti spoon did you use? I ask because I've got one that's fairly decent in length and have never had a problem getting to the bottom of Mountain House bags or MRE pouches. However, I plan on doing some freezer bag meals on my thru attempt...

I thought I was good to go with my current Ti spoon, but I guess I'll be adding that experiment to my shake-down list.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by g00gle View Post

Out of curiosity, which Ti spoon did you use? I ask because I've got one that's fairly decent in length and have never had a problem getting to the bottom of Mountain House bags or MRE pouches. However, I plan on doing some freezer bag meals on my thru attempt...
    http://www.amazon.com/TOAKS-Titanium...Titanium+spoon Its similar to this one with the fold out handle, my uncle gave it to me 10 or 12 years ago I haven't been able to use it as much as I would like to and I'm totally exaggerating about burning my hand but if you are stirring or whatever you can definitely get splashed and I just find it easier to have a longer handle. Had I purchased a longer handled spoon I would be fine long plastic handled just seem a little better for me.

I've also found that many companys make a Short Normal and Long handled TI spoon so if you have the normal one you are probably ok.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

IIRC, You get a long plastic spoon in MRE's. I think that's where I got mine, but memory aint' what it used to be.

Ah, okay. This is the Vargo I use now. Actually a spork, not a spoon. Sorry about that.

http://www.amazon.com/Vargo-T-204-Ti...dp/B001O43NQE/

They even make a longer handle Ti spoon: http://www.amazon.com/Vargo-T-221-Ti...dp/B004JKK6FG/

But the long plastic spoon still strikes me as a suitable back-up that will take up little space and weigh nothing. (I love redundancy when practical.) Whether something happens to my Vargo or if somebody else just happens to need one at a shelter. Thank you for that idea!

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Does McDonalds still make McFlurry's? Those plastic spoons that came with them were awesome and practically indestructible since they were made to be both the spoon and and the blending tool.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

I find that most use a quart size freezer bag. That size is unnecessarily too large for most meals intended for one person. Try the pint size freezer bag instead. It is not as deep and therefore will accommodate a shorter spoon. As an added bonus, it helps us gram weenies feel good about the few grams we are saving in bags and a smaller cozy. None of this discounts your tip. I use a MSR folding spoon. It is lightweight, durable, long enough, and fits in my grease pot.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

The problem with those McFlurry spoons was the hollow handle. Juice or gravy would run down them and across your hand. They are amazingly sturdy, and a piece of duct tape solves that issue too.

If you don't insist on sporks (hate 'em) or titanium, Sea to Summit makes an aluminum long handled spoon that works well for FBC. http://www.rei.com/product/782241/se...ght-spoon-long

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

I tend to avoid the milkshake-style plastic spoons, because I'm nervous about how they'll stand up to heat. When I'm boiling water for a meal, I'll usually boil my spoon, because I'm a little paranoid about food safety. My Sea to Summit spork (in the larger size), I know, will take the heat. It was cheap, too. I think it was a buck or two. There was a bin of them by the cash register at a Corning/Revere outlet.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Jetboil sells a utensil set. I don't need all of the pieces - but the spoon is collapsible and same length as my titanium spoon. I keep waffling about getting the set and tossing the other pieces into my extra supplies and just using the spoon.

long handle ice tea spoons work great for dehydrated meals in a bag....if you can find them. think "Friendly's"

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Jones View Post
    The problem with those McFlurry spoons was the hollow handle. Juice or gravy would run down them and across your hand. They are amazingly sturdy, and a piece of duct tape solves that issue too.
    See post # 19 :

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...hlight=McSpork

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

Journal Entries

I have a snowpeak Ti spork, I like the sturdyness of it, the prongs and the liquid capacity of the spoon, the heat resistance, the one solid piece clean-ability of it, and the length is OK to deal with, but in some respects too long (to pack away, as it has spork prongs which can damage things), and also a bit too short to keep my fingers totally mess free in a freeze dried bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Moosling View Post
    Hey guys,

Through my few travels I have ran into hikers who bring a plastic spoon or fork on the trail with them so I thought I would share something that I found helpful but most of you who use them already know about.

I have a titanium spoon that I used to bring with me hiking and camping, but once I started doing freezer bag cooking I quikly found out that my spoon handle wasn't long enough and I would pretty much scold my hand every bite. Well I could have went right out to get a longer handled spoon from REI or ordered off of amazon or some other online seller but I got to thinking. Any fast food place that sells Milkshakes or other wonderful frozen delights use long handled plastic spoons. So on my last trip car camping trip I stopped by the local steak and shake and asked for a few, no problem absolutely free and they work great if you can get over using plastic.

Anyway this is probably old news to most, but I figured I'd share my idea, I thought this might be helpful if you lose your normal spoon or need a pretty much weightless backup. Plus if you are like me and on a serious budget nothing beats free.
    For anyone w/access to military MREs, the spoons included are very tough and long handled. We used them for all sorts of things such as components for long range antennas and trip wires so they have to be very tough. With a little care, they last for a long time.

I very much like my Hutzler Melamine spoon. Available in kitchen stores. the bowl is a bit wider and deeper than a lot of milk shake spoons, but still not too big for my mouth. Melamine plastic is very tough and smooth. 7.5" long is long enough for me to eat out of my pot with no problem. The end of the spoon is flattened so it is easy to dig out the last bits from the bottom of the pot. Attractive lime-green color (other colors available too)

3016477403.jpg

++ New Posts ++