WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Registered User David@whiteblaze's Avatar
    Images

Default Breakfast on trail

Goin' hiking again (hopefully) and I need a quick breakfast for the trail that can be pre-packaged in the time it takes from your answer to midnight... also, the reason I asked is that I'm tired of oatmeal and granola...
    Important Notice:

Due to recent budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

Sincerely,
    The Government

Bagels. Its not much more exciting than oatmeal and granola though.

Carnation Instant Breakfast mixed with powered milk. If you want it to double as coffee caffeine fix, add an instant coffee mix you like for a mocha flavor and consider heating it up on cold mornings. Good cold as well.

Images

I like instant cheese grits with summer sausage thrown in. Cook and eat in a freezer bag.

Default Bagels... maybe we could get creative

Quote Originally Posted by white_russian View Post
    Bagels. Its not much more exciting than oatmeal and granola though.
    Anybody tried making their own bagels? I pack the "flavored" ones occasionally for breakfast; sometimes plain ones for lunch. It occurs to me that one might get creative with add- in goodies and cook up something that carries easily, lasts well, and packs some extra nutrition.

A hot cereal with everything but oatmeal: mix together beforehand a little cracked wheat, ground flaxmeal, spice(s) of your choice e.g. ginger, cinnamon, nuts, dried fruit. Cook it a few minutes, then add couscous, cover the pot for a few minutes and enjoy!

Images

Bagels sound good... Sorry, I live in the only part of the north that was relocated south, so I'm not much for grits...
    Important Notice:

Due to recent budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.

Sincerely,
    The Government

knick knack patty whack

wake up, what to eat first? i can never figure that out, so's i just skip the first and go right to the second er third. i almost never, at home or trail, eat breakfast food. it's alway lunch er dinner food. much more choices, much more like the food i like. at home, an italian sub, roast beef sandwich with barbecue sauce, leftover chinese food. on the trail, a dinner. fer me that's usually a mary jane's pasta with protein- tuna or chicken. i mean ur hikin, u gotta give ur body some fuel, not just bagels er instant oatmeal!

I mix grape nuts cereal, powdered milk and dried fruit at home in ziplock bags. Just add water and eat.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by budforester View Post
    Anybody tried making their own bagels? I pack the "flavored" ones occasionally for breakfast; sometimes plain ones for lunch. It occurs to me that one might get creative with add- in goodies and cook up something that carries easily, lasts well, and packs some extra nutrition.
    I have actually made bagels at home and the large pretzels. You use a rising dough and you could put anything you want in them. With bagels and pretzels after the second rising you have to boil them that puts the skin on them and then you bake them. But this would not be a bad idea you could put alot more dried fruit or nuts into them.
    If you can’t fix it with duct tape or a beer; it ain’t worth fixing

Images

Kashi golean crunch with powdered milk added and then just add water. This cereal has 9 gram of protein in it. And you can eat it like granola if you want.
    If you can’t fix it with duct tape or a beer; it ain’t worth fixing

Oatmeal with two eggs, wheat bran, and dehydrated apple. Followed by CIB.

I put the boiling water in the bag, and by the time camp is broken, it is ready to be eaten.

.......BACON.....with anything!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by fljj48 View Post
    Kashi golean crunch with powdered milk added and then just add water. This cereal has 9 gram of protein in it. And you can eat it like granola if you want.
    One time I mixed some Kashi golean crunch with some peanut brittle for my granola. It was the best mix I have ever had.

Who said breakfast had to be breakfast food? The sky's the limit.
    K2 Able to leap small twigs with a single bound.
    I did it. I said I’ll do it, and I’ve done it. [after she summited Katahdin] –EMMA ‘GRANDMA’ GATEWOOD

Quote Originally Posted by budforester View Post
    They are fun but time consuming to make. Quite tasty though!
    Trail Cooking/FBC, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
    Trail Cooking

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Your age? Pop tarts.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

cold creal and carnation just made with water...

i use my 1L pot, froot loops and 2 packages of the chocolate flavor, warrghy likes the strawberry kind...plain powdered milk is nasty.

Images

Ok, question about bagels (also, time is until 3:30 tomorrow) If I was boiling 2 cups hot water for hot chocolate on a heiny pot w/ lid, and set a bagel on top, would the bagel get soggy or warm or both? and past that, what's the best way to "toast" a bagel on trail?
    Important Notice:

Sincerely,
    The Government

Pack of frosted strawberry poptarts, 2 oatmeal packs of maple flavor, and instant coffee.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++