WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Virus in TN/NC

Default Virus in TN/NC

I have read that there is a virus that is rampant on the TN/NC area and one needs to filter and boil. Plan on doing a week hike in June and wanted to know how true if UV treatment and filter would work or is it overkill? Don't want to regret things a week later.

it ain't the water. it's shelters, hostels and privys

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

While water filtration/purification is important, good hygiene is what is needed to prevent to spread of diseases. Simple things like washing hands after toilet use and not sharing food (think multiple hands scoping from the same GORP bag) will do a lot more good at reducing the spread of diseases thru the hiker community.
    Ran into a Ridge Runner... she wouldn't shake your hand, but a fist bump was ok.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    it ain't the water. it's shelters, hostels and privys
    This. Norovirus, the likely infection is primarily spread by human to human contact, airborne exposure to someone who is sick, or by coming in contact with contaminated surfaces. Waterborne contamination is a possible source of infection but is less likely.

Also, most filters are not designed with a fine enough matrix to deal with viruses. You need chemicals, boiling, or UV to treat for viruses, so your steripen would be the better option
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Thanks. It was just posted by ATC that it was water borne in that range and a friend of mine who works that area says it is nasty. Just checking. Hopefully by June it will be gone.

Journal Entries

Happens every year

Nirovirus can live on surfaces a few days ...up to a couple weeks.

Stay away from shelters and other people, anbd you be fine

Otherwise you get what you get

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    While water filtration/purification is important, good hygiene is what is needed to prevent to spread of diseases. Simple things like washing hands after toilet use and not sharing food (think multiple hands scoping from the same GORP bag) will do a lot more good at reducing the spread of diseases thru the hiker community.
    Ran into a Ridge Runner... she wouldn't shake your hand, but a fist bump was ok.
    Fist bump is still touching. There is no 5 second rule for diseases.

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    Fist bump is still touching. There is no 5 second rule for diseases.
    But you are much less likely to use the back of your hand to eat with, thus transferring the virus into your mouth.

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bayview View Post
    I have read that there is a virus that is rampant on the TN/NC area and one needs to filter and boil. Plan on doing a week hike in June and wanted to know how true if UV treatment and filter would work or is it overkill? Don't want to regret things a week later.
    UV by itself should be adequate as that sterilizes both bacteria (that the filter can filter out) and viruses (that are small enough to get through the filter pores). I use a Steripen for this very reason, and because I find it to be the most convenient water treatment option for my particular hiking style.
    AT: 2007-2019 (45 sections)
    JMT: 2013

sounds like the annual NoBo thru hiker noravirus epidemic

typically this time of year in the NC/TN section

the recipe:
    too many hikers
    poor hygiene
    privys, shelters, sharing food, hand to hand contact

noravirus is not fun, have known too many who have experienced it on cruise ships and on the AT

good luck to hikers avoiding it

I'm not finding anything on the ATC site about contaminated water. I did hear that Low Gap in GA apparently had a noro contaminated water source. Anyone have a link or info?

Everyone is saying the water is contaminated out here because the rumor mill says it's so. I don't even filter my water and it's just fine-not recommending that method, just saying it's not the water. I also don't use the privy's or shelters.

Yeah I find it hard to believe a spring source in the mountains would be contaminated. Something downstream of some developed land perhaps.

Yes, all the above! The big thing??? When you use a privy ... or do your "business," use sanitizer! When at a stream, wash your hands! DO NOT SHARE food (hand to hand contact)

Met sick hikers at mile 20 . I got sick to. Lots of rumors of bad water . I don't sleep in shelters or shake hands. Might have just ate bad food . Who knows. I filter next time might use bleach to if Nora rumors exist.

Thom

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Joe View Post
    I'm not finding anything on the ATC site about contaminated water. I did hear that Low Gap in GA apparently had a noro contaminated water source. Anyone have a link or info?
    Tented at the Low Gap shelter area the night of April 8th. I drank from the water source there after treating with just Aqua Mira. No ill effects.

++ New Posts ++