WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: UL Pillow

Default UL Pillow

I've been stuffing gear in my Therma Rest pillow case for years. But alas, it is falling apart. Very light, super comfy. I just thought I'd ask about UL pillows. I know MontBell has a 2.2ounce blow up. I know this is a luxury to some, but I put a lot of stock in sleeping well, and for me it starts with a pillow of some type. Also, in summer I just don't have enough good things to stuff a pillow case.

Thanks for any sugestions.
    "How can something this hard be so much fun".

Images

I like the Cocoon Air Core (sub 2 oz) pillow so much that I bought a second one when my first developed a leak.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

Images

Second on the cocoon....

Packs down like a baseball sorta......

Exped Air Pillow, size large, over a Thermarest 1 1/2" Stadium Seat. I have been sleeping with this combination for a week. I may not go back to my big, cushy down pillow.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Images

The smaller Cocoon Air Core at REI is 5.8 ounces. Is there a different model that's sub 2oz?

EDIT: found it, the Cocoon Hyperlight pillow. Nevermind.
    Last edited by bigcranky; 05-29-2014 at 21:35.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

ExPed Air Pillow Large...

much thicker than the Therm-a-rest pillow.

I use a FlexAir Ultralight Pillow. Weighs 16 grams (excluding the air). Slide my shirt over the end of my sleeping pad; slip the pillow inside the shirt to hold it in place.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Exped Air Pillow, size large, over a Thermarest 1 1/2" Stadium Seat. I have been sleeping with this combination for a week. I may not go back to my big, cushy down pillow.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    ExPed Air Pillow Large...

much thicker than the Therm-a-rest pillow.
    Also using the ExPed air pillow. Ive also been putting it into the clothes bag to create a bit larger more pillow like pillow.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

I got some of these and made a diy fleece pillow case.

http://www.amazon.com/Graham-Profess.../dp/B004C2XI1A

Journal Entries
    Images

an old airport blow up C shaped free pillow.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

My Exped Air Pillow is new-got it during REI's recent sale. What I learned is that to get the most comfort, you need very little air. The weight of my head changes the volume and firms up the pillow. I started with too much air. The pillow was rock hard. I kept letting air out until the firmness was just right. At that point, the height of the pillow was too low. When I was on my side, my head hung down and my neck was not at the right angle.
    Then the light bulb when on. I have had this Therm-A-Rest Sport Seat since forever. It is the same construction as the early self-inflating sleeping pads. The same dimensions as the Exped pillow and 1 1/2" thick. Self-inflated with the valve closed, the pad is firm enough that my head doesn't squash it. I then put the Exped pillow on top of the Sport Seat, placed both in a regular pillow case and Presto! Correct height. Correct support - not hard, not soft. A very good night's sleep.
    It has only taken me about a zillion years to find this solution to a nagging problem.

ps: The Sport Seat was in my pack anyway. The perfect place to sit in camp. Using it under the air pillow adds a bit of insulation and puts the pillow at the correct height for my head and neck. 8 ounces for the pair. I tried and dismissed several stuffed pillows that were equal to or heavier than that. I could substitute the Exped UL Pillow and save an ounce or two but loose the deflation valve and 3 years of warranty. Why bother?

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

I carry the large exped air pillow and a small piece of firm 2" foam that goes under it to raise the height enough for me (I'm a side sleeper). I was going to sew a pillowcase to slip them into, but found that they work just fine stacked. No slipping at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Jones View Post
    I carry the large exped air pillow and a small piece of firm 2" foam that goes under it to raise the height enough for me (I'm a side sleeper). I was going to sew a pillowcase to slip them into, but found that they work just fine stacked. No slipping at all.
    Thanks for pointing out that my pillowcase may be redundant. At most, I probably just need some very light nylon ribbon through the tabs on the pillow and around the sport seat.
    At this point I am very happy to have finally solved the Pillow Riddle. I hope the second third of my new sleep system (NeoAir XTherm) proves to work as well.

Wayne

Wayne

Images

I also like that hyperlite cocoon, but my wife's weighs 2.6 ounces (actual, weighed), not 2.4 like the REI specs say, but no biggie.

In any case, I've always scoffed at carrying a dedicated pillow... I just use my tent or sleeping bag stuff sack and fill up with all clothing and jackets and other soft stuff. THEN I tried her cocoon pillow... well, I think I might make this decidedly non UL switch! Very comfy.

My most comfy pillow (although not lightweight and bulky, so I've relegated it to short trips and car camping): Is a Thermarest Compressible Pillow (large) stuffed into an REI pillow stuff sack. It's perfect.

My recent experiment was with an Exped Large pillow in a Goosefeet Gear down pillow stuff sack which seemed like the best of all worlds, but I wasn't that crazy about sleeping on the nylon pillow case (if you want it the case, it's yours for $25).

So, what ended up working for me was the Exped inside the REI pillow stuff sack. Still love my compressible pillow combo the best, but this works.
    you left to walk the appalachian trail
    you can feel your heart as smooth as a snail
    the mountains your darlings
    but better to love than have something to scale

-Girlyman, "Hold It All At Bay"

Thanks to all. This is coming down to a close race between the ExPed & the Cocoon Hyperlite. Lots of pluses for both, so I just need to pick one & try it.
    "How can something this hard be so much fun".

Have the exped pillow but don't find it high enough as i usually sleep with 2 pillows at home.

So i found if i put the inflated pillow in my exped snoozle bag with some clothing it makes a great pillow.

Exped UL large pillow with a goosefeet gear down pillow sack

I have used the cocoon pillow and found it to be not all that comfortable. Even when I let air out of it, it always felt like my head was rolling off one side or the other. I switched to Backside Lite Wave pillow. While it is a little heavier than the cocoon, because there is stuffing in it that self inflates, I found it better to sleep on. I felt the added weight was worth the trade off. For $20, you can't go wrong to try it out. It is not perfect, but better IMHO. http://www.blackpinesports.com/the-b...oncrush-pillow
    Whether you think you can, or think you can't--you're right--Henry Ford; The Journey Is The Destination

I recently bought the Sierra Designs 600-DriDown Pillow total weight is 5.8oz. It's not that UL but is extremely comfortable on the trail. I agree restful sleep is the most important thing on the trail and this pillow has made my sleep all the much better.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++