WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Inov-8 releases ultralight boots

* Note- After skimming some threads, I see somebody mentioned the 288s model once in passing a week ago. Oh well, anyway... so there is also the model 240 "boot" now which is even lighter than its Gore Tex 288 cousin.

I saw the video on this about a year ago on YouTube, and have been going stir crazy waiting for it to come out. I kept checking their web site from time to time in eager anticipation.

Well, it is a full year later since I saw the video, and I guess they are finally released now. But not just one model, but two lightweight models:

Video showing the Roclite 288 GTX

X-Talon 240 trail boot - [weight 240 grams / 8.46 ounces]

Roclite 288 GTX [Gore Tex model) trail boot - [weight 288 grams / 10.16 ounces]

Billed as the worlds lightest boot and worlds lightest waterproof boot respectively, coming from Inov-8, one might be inclined to scoff and say that this barely qualifies as a boot at all, and is more like a high cut minimalist trail running sneaker. Probably true enough. Nonetheless, I want to try them out.

[mindless ramble of no consequence to follow:] I was originally hoping that the mid cut boots might slightly minimize my persistent ankle roll-over problem, but in retrospect now, they look a little too low-cut to help in that department. As a trail runner who has incurred many ankle sprains over the years, my ankles are pretty well shot. I was kind of hoping such a shoe might mitigate (if only somewhat) future sprained ankles, whether I be trail running or simply hiking. I'm tired of having to run around with an Ace-Bandage on for support, everytime I head out on a rocky trail. The Ace-Bandage is really uncomfortable and digs into me, and is impossible to wrap up consistently each time I do it (sometimes it digs into me more than others, depending on how I wrapped it).

Anyway, I doubt such mid-top "boots" will do much for ankle roll-overs. If nothing else, I guess its mid-top cut will be good for keeping mud, splashed water, and grit out of your shoes while on the trail.

AT 2012

AND they're pretty!
    Lazarus

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

With regard to ankle rolls, the only thing that a mid-top boot will do for you is provide a bit of tactile feedback as your ankle starts to roll, which may allow you to recover before your complete the roll. As a long-time sufferer of ankle sprains, the only real "remedy" is to build up the strength of the muscles surrounding the ankle, improve your proprioception, and perhaps use custom orthotics. In my mid-40s, after recurring bouts of Achilles tendonitis and numerous ankle sprains, I've been able to avoid moderate sprains, and catch myself before rolling my ankle even in low-cut trail runners. PM me if you'd like a description of my regimen.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Twenty five years ago (if even that), most hikers probably would have scoffed at calling these boots, or even at the whole idea which seems to be prevalent now of eschewing heavily constructed boots in favor of sneakers Of course a well built pair of boots has its place too, I love my Asolos.

Coming from the trail runner side of things more so than the hiker side of things, I for one am glad to see not only the lightweight footwear movement migrate over to hiking, but also the "minimalist" footwear movement being embraced by some hikers (minimalism tending to go hand in hand with lightweight, but it's a subtly different meaning between the two).

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I'm a big fan of Inov-8 footwear and I've got a pair of 288's sitting right here.

I normally hike in 390's but when I saw the 288's were released I had to get a pair.

Due to an old injury, I do wear one of these on my right foot when I'm hiking- elastic and provides plenty of support.

I've been thinking about wearing one on my other foot as well as a preventative.

Images

I wish they would bring the 370/390 back.

Of those new shoes, two of them aren't great choices for long distance hiking due to the goretex liner. The linerless shoe might be okay, but hopefully the last isn't too narrow like most Inov-8 shoes. I think they would do very well to build more shoes built around the wider last in the Terroc line of shoes, as well as building a midheight shoes built around the same last, without a goretex liner of course. Now that's a shoe I would buy.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    I've been thinking about wearing one on my other foot as well as a preventative.
    The problem with using a brace in a preventative manner is that your muscles start to depend on that brace, something that happened to me after I used dual ankle braces for years when playing soccer 3-4 times a week.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    The problem with using a brace in a preventative manner is that your muscles start to depend on that brace, something that happened to me after I used dual ankle braces for years when playing soccer 3-4 times a week.
    That's a good point...

Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
    I wish they would bring the 370/390 back.

Of those new shoes, two of them aren't great choices for long distance hiking due to the goretex liner. The linerless shoe might be okay, but hopefully the last isn't too narrow like most Inov-8 shoes. I think they would do very well to build more shoes built around the wider last in the Terroc line of shoes, as well as building a midheight shoes built around the same last, without a goretex liner of course. Now that's a shoe I would buy.
    They do seem to be narrow/small. I always buy a half size larger than what I normally would get and it has always worked.

The 390's and 288's are goretex, the 370 wasn't. I don't mind the goretex.

Images

Bad ankles. I've had them for years. The worst ankle injury I've ever had was in "real boots". I had a bad one in 2006 near to time I was leaving Iraq, and kept re-injuring it. I was still doing re-hab for it when I started the trail in 2008 and I even got a VA disability rating for my ankles.

When I started, I wore a stirrup brace on my right ankle (the newly injured one) and never had a problem with it. It was similar to this:

http://www.footlocker.com/catalog/pr...Froogle-_-null

Unfortunately I ended up hurting the other ankle, which is another old injury that came back after about 600 miles on the trail. Once I twisted it, I kept injuring it and making it worse. It is the one that drove me off the trail about 200 miles later.

Due to an old injury, I do wear one of these on my right foot when I'm hiking- elastic and provides plenty of support.

Since I got off the trail and did some more re-hab, I found this sort of brace does me well: http://www.allegromedical.com/orthop...0bb68e95d80078

I've started using them on both ankles. I've learned that "ankle support" in boots can be a feeling you get rather than the absolute reality.

My experience is you can strengthen the ankles. I do not wear braces doing anything else besides hiking. But I know how fast I can mess myself up on the trail so I wear the braces when doing that.

That's a good point...
    Yes it is.

And those do look like nice boots.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Images

The 390's and 288's are goretex, the 370 wasn't. I don't mind the goretex.
    The 370 & 390 are the same shoe aside from colors and the liner. If they bring back one, they'd bring back the other, otherwise I'd only mention the 370.

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    Bad ankles. I've had them for years. .
    Did you notice we posted pics of the same ankle brace?

Images

That was your pic, I quoted you and it showed it. Here is the one I started with:

(similar anyway)

And this is what I use now:
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

I think that realistically the "ankle protection" of these boots is not against rollover, but against banging your ankle against a rock and bruising it. Say what you will, real rollover protection only comes from boots so stiff they'd be difficult to hike with. Like ski boots, for example.
    "It goes to show you never can tell." - Charles Edward Anderson Berry

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Old Grouse View Post
    I think that realistically the "ankle protection" of these boots is not against rollover, but against banging your ankle against a rock and bruising it. Say what you will, real rollover protection only comes from boots so stiff they'd be difficult to hike with. Like ski boots, for example.
    I agree with you there. I still use "real" boots for trail maintenance and such.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Interesting: some of us believe that high topped boots do the same thing to the strength of the ankle. Going from high tops to ankle height at first leaves you feeling a little vulnerable and wobbly at times, but once the ankles gain some strength from moving about on uneven terrain the only thing missing from ditching the boots are the sore spots on the ankes from the tongue and the blisters on the heels (for me, anyway).
    Innov-8 shoes look interesting, except for the Gore-Tex, which is a waste of money in any footwear since, once it's dirty it leaks. That's why they coat it with polyurethane which renders it virtually non-breathable. Waterproof? Sure, but for how long? Breathable? Can't prove it by me. Hot and sweaty in most weather? For me, yes. A wee bit foolish in low topped shoes? Hard one to answer there, until you splash a little water over the ankle and it runs into the shoe.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Old Grouse View Post
    Inov-8 says the ankle protection comes from the lower heel cup, which creates a shorter lever that's less prone to rolling. That makes sense I guess, although I haven't measured it. I do believe that softer soles like in the Inov-8 tend to bend, which allows my foot to take up bumps instead of trying to make it roll.

Anyway, I like the high tops because it keeps dirt out of my footwear. That's it. I would buy it for that reason alone.

Images

im presently wearing a pair of the roclite 288 gtx on my thru-hike...they are excellent...best shoes ive ever had! happy trails! maddog
    "You do more hiking with your head than your feet!" Emma "Grandma" Gatewood...HYOY!!!
    http://www.hammockforums.net/?

++ New Posts ++