WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    the bear is dead once they find it and can get off a clean shot.....

Here is no going back on this bear...
    Very doubtful they would have let the bear they reported having trapped (the one with Human DNA on it) go free, so they can hunt it down.

More likely they killed it while still in the cage.

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    Very doubtful they would have let the bear they reported having trapped (the one with Human DNA on it) go free, so they can hunt it down.

it would really help if you spent even 1 second looking up the facts prior to spouting off an opinion

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post

from the second press release that came out yesterday...

UPDATE/CLARIFICATION TO NEWS RELEASE:
    While park managers made the decision to euthanize the bear on Wednesday, the effort to carry out the action is on-going. When the bear was trapped lateTuesday night, a GPS tracking collar was placed on it so that it could be readily found again after park officials were able to review all available evidence and give careful consideration before making any decision. Once the difficult decision was made to euthanize the bear out of concern for public safety, the process of euthanizing the animal has taken longer than anticipated.
    Although wildlife managers know the bear is still in the area, it has thus far evaded efforts for them to get close enough for a clean shot to be taken to humanely euthanize it. The efforts are on-going and Rich Mountain Road and the surrounding area remains closed.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

They probably figured the bear would be read by the time news got out.

Images

Here my guess----and note I said my guess

the park has probably learned from past experiences and backlash about putting bears down...

so they trap the bear---take DNA from him to make sure they have the right bear as past experiences of not having the right bear have led to a poop storm....

after taking the DNA---they collar and release the bear...

DNA comes back and says, yup, that's human DNA.......

now they know which bear to kill........

and once they find it and get off a clean shot, bear is dead....

also---I'm guessing that there was probably a bit of miscommunication from the Rangers on the scene and with the the PIO who is back and headquarters writing the press release......

again----that's my guess...

make no mistake about it though----this bear is going to be killed...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    They probably figured the bear would be read by the time news got out.

Thats a possibility as well......

Euthanasia is about humanly killing someone to relieve them of some sort of suffering.

Euthanasia has nothing to do with this news story as the bear is going to be "euthanized". Look up the definition of the word and you'll see the word means to kill an animal humanly... That's all it means. The word has no meaning as to WHY the animal is being killed, only the manner in which it is to take place.
    So the chicken I'm having for dinner was euthanized?
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    So the chicken I'm having for dinner was euthanized?
    Don't know, I don't know how your chicken was killed, and depending upon the conditions the chicken was raised, the term euthanasia might apply

Don't know, I don't know how your chicken was killed, and depending upon the conditions the chicken was raised, the term euthanasia might apply
    Mighty tasty regardless.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Is it raining yet?
    Images

Patience everyone. In a couple of months the Investigative Services Bureau of NPS will publicly release a death investigation report which will be exhaustive.
    Be Prepared

Your chicken most likely met his fate in a room full of carbon dioxide. They evacuate the oxygen,pump in the CO2,and a truckload of birds go to sleep. The CO2 is recovered,and you the rest I will leave to your imagination.

Images

and you the rest I will leave to your imagination.

ya----we eat delicious tasty chicken wings....

If the bear takes a hit in a vital spot with a high velocity, 30 caliber bullet, he won't know what hit him. Better than be gassed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow Trek View Post
    Your chicken most likely met his fate in a room full of carbon dioxide. They evacuate the oxygen,pump in the CO2,and a truckload of birds go to sleep. The CO2 is recovered,and you the rest I will leave to your imagination.
    Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Farr Away; 09-17-2018 at 10:46.

Journal Entries
    Images

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCloud View Post
    Patience everyone. In a couple of months the Investigative Services Bureau of NPS will publicly release a death investigation report which will be exhaustive.
    Sure.

But I would think they would be able to determine whether a bear likely killed the man much, much more quickly than that.

No?

Once again,I am confused by the facts.Let's see if I got this straight.
    Man died in GSMNP while looking for ginseng but nobody is sure of cause of death.
    Bear at scene of dead body acts aggressively toward Park Rangers extracting the body
    Decision was made to euthanize bear but then we learn bear was trapped,tested for dna,tagged and released?
    Pending dna analysis,the actual euthanization of bear will take place if the bear fed off the corpse or actually caused the death? Is that correct?

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    Once again,I am confused by the facts.Let's see if I got this straight.
    Man died in GSMNP while looking for ginseng but nobody is sure of cause of death.
    Bear at scene of dead body acts aggressively toward Park Rangers extracting the body
    Decision was made to euthanize bear but then we learn bear was trapped,tested for dna,tagged and released?
    Pending dna analysis,the actual euthanization of bear will take place if the bear fed off the corpse or actually caused the death? Is that correct?
    When the bear was trapped, the rangers on scene didn't have the authority to decide if the bear should be euthanized, and they didn't have a cage to hold it in because they were a half mile in the woods. So evidence was collected and the bear collared and released.
    Later, the powers in authority decided the bear needed to be euthanized and announced that in a press release and started the process of tracking the collared bear to euthanize it. The decision to euthanize the bear was misreported as if the bear had already been euthanized.

Edit: BTW, I don't know if what I've described above is exactly 100% accurate... I don't know what people were on scene or know any facts beyond what is available in press release. I'm simply trying to describe a reasonable scenario of how things got to where they went.
    Last edited by HooKooDooKu; 09-16-2018 at 15:30.

When the bear was trapped, the rangers on scene didn't have the authority to decide if the bear should be euthanized, and they didn't have a cage to hold it in because they were a half mile in the woods. So evidence was collected and the bear collared and released.
    Later, the powers in authority decided the bear needed to be euthanized and announced that in a press release and started the process of tracking the collared bear to euthanize it. The decision to euthanize the bear was misreported as if the bear had already been euthanized.
    Do we know yet if the bear had anything to do with the death?

Images

This came down a bit ago...

UPDATE Sunday, September 16, 2018
    At approximately 9:45 this morning, park officials fatally shot the adult male bear associated with the investigation into Mr. Hill’s death. The incident remains under investigation and no additional details are available at this time

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    Do we know yet if the bear had anything to do with the death?

As of 2:30 pm Eastern on Sunday---no....

Images

When the bear was trapped, the rangers on scene didn't have the authority to decide if the bear should be euthanized,

where did this information come from?

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
++ New Posts ++