WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Student Nurse section hiking the Appalachian trail

Check out more: gofundme.com/merebrilliance

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I'm clearly a dinosaur. I got my first smartphone just two weeks ago, and this is the very first 'gofundme' post that I've ever read.

I don't know what to say other than I'm stunned.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    I'm clearly a dinosaur. I got my first smartphone just two weeks ago, and this is the very first 'gofundme' post that I've ever read.

I don't know what to say other than I'm stunned.
    I will warn you now that smartphones are huge timesinks and having one often defeats the purpose of killing your television. I'm speaking from experience.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Millenials seem to think they're entitled and that others should fund their endeavors. I'll wager she Feels The Bern also.

If you can't afford something, save up until you can.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

Its funny, but also in the same category as, "I'm a thru and need a ride for free to Damascus Trail Days."

Journal Entries
    Images

There are three tiers of giving: at the ten dollar level, I'll mention you by name in a YouTube video from the trail! For fifty dollars, I'll send you a piece of my gear that breaks along the trail, or you can opt for a worn out sock (unwashed, sorry!) or other undergarment. Just let me know. For a hundred dollars, I'll carve your initials in a tree under a blaze and send you a photo suitable for framing!

Quote Originally Posted by dervari View Post
    Millenials seem to think they're entitled and that others should fund their endeavors. I'll wager she Feels The Bern also.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenlight View Post
    There are three tiers of giving: at the ten dollar level, I'll mention you by name in a YouTube video from the trail! For fifty dollars, I'll send you a piece of my gear that breaks along the trail, or you can opt for a worn out sock (unwashed, sorry!) or other undergarment. Just let me know. For a hundred dollars, I'll carve your initials in a tree under a blaze and send you a photo suitable for framing!
    What do I get for 50 cents?

Journal Entries
    Images

Ten seconds of FaceTime chat from the privy.

Quote Originally Posted by Nodust View Post

Leonidas

Sounds like this should have been posted in a Japanese hiking forum, could put a run on the unwashed undergarment vending machines.

Quote Originally Posted by merebrilliance View Post
    Check out more: gofundme.com/merebrilliance

Not working. Did you take it down?

I refer to this thread:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...-pretty-please

I personally feel the gofundme can served valid purposes. But maybe you can be the one to talk peeps out of their hatred for Millenials.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing​ and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there. --Rumi

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Nothing to do with generations...

My cousin is 25 years old. A student nurse. Works as a CNA currently. Fantastic person, independent, smart and hardworking. Is really into jeeping as a hobby. She paid for it herself....

My other cousin (and the younger cousin's mentor) is on the cusp of generations at 35. She went went to the Air National Guard at 19, put herself through nursing school and was commissioned as an officer last year when she received her BSN to go with her Associate RN degree.

( My younger brother, who is also on the cusp, is a senior sgt at the same base and put one of her "butter bars" on at the commissioning ceremony. I told my cousin to make sure that my brother always salutes her! )

I have quite a few first cousins under 30 years old. Let's not do the generational finger pointing thing. My cousins are all wonderful and hard working people.
    Last edited by Mags; 05-11-2016 at 16:41.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    Nothing to do with generations...

I have quite a few first cousins under 30 years old. Let's not do the generational finger pointing thing. My cousins are all wonderful and hard working people.
    I'm not saying the all Millennials are that way, but from what I've seen and experienced a good portion of them are of the entitlement mentality.

I'm not saying the all Millennials are that way, but from what I've seen and experienced a good portion of them are of the entitlement mentality.

Don't know how old you are. But similar things were said about Gen Xers when I was in my 20s.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Journal Entries
    Images

Every generation after Adam was the worst generation ever. And according to the kids, their parents screwed everything up.

Except for the Greatest Generation. They kicked butt, and reset the clock, so their kids (us) were... well, Hippies and their grandkids were Hipsters. The Greatest Generation created the Hippies. We're going to be okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    Don't know how old you are. But similar things were said about Gen Xers when I was in my 20s.

This individual has/is a problem. Can't put that on her same age peers.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Ten seconds of FaceTime chat from the privy.
    If there's scratch and sniff available, there's probably ALT-Money to be made.

Datto

Images

That's some amazing backpeddling there... your lack of qualifiers in your original post is a clear indictment of all millenials and to come back with a weak, "I'm not saying..." does not change your meaning of the first post.

On the other hand I am ok laying the blame for the failings of the millennials at the feet of their elders who were supposed to be mentoring them.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

This is what I remember of her request.
    1. She's a nursing student and it's really a hard major but she's gotten really good grades;
    2. She's all kinds of stressed from the... you know... the stress of studying;
    3. She really needs a break after 9 long, hard difficult months in school -- not to work and save for next semester -- but to hike;
    4. She'd like a couple thousand and has already raised $170;
    5. Finally, there are some pics of her doing hiking kinda stuff -- posing on top of a mountain, posing near a trail, posing blowing a kiss, posing with her books, posing with her class notes, and... well... I guess the operative word posing.

That is what I recall.

Now if you will excuse me, I'm going to climb onto a moving freight train and take a trip to AnywhereButHere.

Wow! Thanks for all the uproar and opinions! I don't feel entitled to anything, but I agree...there are many who do; however, not every subject in a stereotypical group actually fits that stereotype. Honestly, I am surprised by the actual donations I have received. It was not my idea to start a gofundme, but after running short in funds, I took the advice. Sure I could have worked this semester and ended up failing or dropping. We started with 63 students and are down to 26. I am currently working as of Monday, and will continue until I leave. Sure, I can stay and work, but where is the fun in that? The awesome part about asking for things is that others have the right to say no, nothing is forced on you. We all waste money everyday. I am giving people another option to 'waste' money on. There are many people who have been able to live vicariously through my hiking experiences, and I enjoy taking the time on my journeys to think of them, and be thankful my feet can actually carry me to such amazing and beautiful places; I was once morbidly obese and thankfully, I am no longer a prisoner to my body.

Throw stones if you must. I hope one will be a Skipper :-)

Quote Originally Posted by merebrilliance View Post
    Sure, I can stay and work, but where is the fun in that?
    It is called life.

Work a little longer, save up money, go hiking. I did it myself for many years until fairly recently.

Panhandling on a hiking website when other people are scrimping and saving to go on their vacations?

Well, that does take some chutzpah. I will say that much.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++