WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Bartram Trail vs Foothills Trail - Which one offers the most bang

I have never hiked either but have a 30+ mile point to point planned out in the "crown jewel" section of the FT for this weekend but from what I have seen it looks to only offer mediocre vistas. I know the big thing on the FT are the waterfalls but I do not expect them to be flowing that well this time of year. Was looking for another 30+ mile option in the N. GA/NC/SC area. Would the Bartram trail be a better option or possibly the Benton Mackaye trail? Wanting to avoid getting on the AT. Group of 6 guys going.

Thanks for the last minute help guys.

Tyler

Images

. I know the big thing on the FT are the waterfalls but I do not expect them to be flowing that well this time of year.

the general area has gotten a bunch of rain the last few weeks---i would expect waterfalls to be flowing pretty well...

I did the FT two years ago, plenty of scenery. I went from Oconee SP to Table Rock SP in the spring. I'm going to do the Bartram in December, don't know what to expect on it.

If you're looking to stand on a summit and see for miles, the Foothills Trail doesn't have much of that...but plenty to look at and the waterfalls will be flowing. But unless you get up closer to the Smokies, the BMT doesn't really have a lot of views, either. Of the three, the Foothills Trail is my personal favorite. Tons of places to camp, and I hardly ever see anyone.
    -tagg

FHT doesn’t have much for vistas...other features make up for it....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

the BMT doesn't really have a lot of views, either.

the hangover is an excellent view though....

Check out parts of the Art Loeb Trail. Look at the northern portion in Shining Rock Wilderness; park at the Black Balsam trailhead of the Blue Ridge Pkwy, do an out-and back on the ALT to Cold Mt, you'll cross balds and 6K mountains - on the return add in side loop trips down to Shining Creek Gap to see some water and use the Ivestor trail to connect to Sam Knob loop if necessary to get your desired mileage. The balds provide outstanding vistas!

Quote Originally Posted by mondata View Post
    I have never hiked either but have a 30+ mile point to point planned out in the "crown jewel" section of the FT for this weekend but from what I have seen it looks to only offer mediocre vistas. I know the big thing on the FT are the waterfalls but I do not expect them to be flowing that well this time of year. Was looking for another 30+ mile option in the N. GA/NC/SC area. Would the Bartram trail be a better option or possibly the Benton Mackaye trail? Wanting to avoid getting on the AT. Group of 6 guys going.

Thanks for the last minute help guys.

Tyler
    Take the Fht segments between sassafras mt and whitewater falls. State high pt with miles of 360 views, waterfalls, fall color, and probably some shorter views since leaves are starting to drop.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

AT 11,000 Miler
    Images

If you are looking for vistas the Art Loeb Trail is the place to be. I'll second that recommendation. You won't be disappointment by the Foothills Trail though. I've hiked the Foothills Trail about seven times and the waterfalls are always flowing. Research the geology and you'll know why. The Bartram Trail is nice too and has nice vistas. I've done all three. My vote for a 30-miler? The Foothills Trail.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Take the Fht segments between sassafras mt and whitewater falls. State high pt with miles of 360 views, waterfalls, fall color, and probably some shorter views since leaves are starting to drop.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
    Start just a little further east of Sassafras Mt. in Table Rock State Park, and get a couple more excellent views. Once past Sassafras (going west), not a whole lot of views to speak of. Still a great hike though.

u.w.
    Start just a tiny bit farther east of Sassafras Mt. at the Table Rock State Park, and get a couple more excellent views. Once you pass Sassafras headed west though, not a whole lot of views to speak of, but still a nice hike.

u.w.

Quote Originally Posted by u.w. View Post
    Start just a little further east of Sassafras Mt. in Table Rock State Park, and get a couple more excellent views. Once past Sassafras (going west), not a whole lot of views to speak of. Still a great hike though.
    u.w.
    Start just a tiny bit farther east of Sassafras Mt. at the Table Rock State Park, and get a couple more excellent views. Once you pass Sassafras headed west though, not a whole lot of views to speak of, but still a nice hike.
    u.w.
    Oh my! LOL...

u.w.

++ New Posts ++