WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 23 days?

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon View Post
    Just got the approval from work for the time off so I'm all set, just waiting to here from the little ladies employer, but it shouldn't be an issue. We are starting on August 13th so that we actually get an extra day to hike because of ending on Labor Day, which we both have off from work. So that makes it 24 days instead. Well actually 24.5 since we will be starting in the afternoon of the 13th. Can't wait to get out there, though it's 6 months away lol...
    well that settles it. we make a right. see ya out there

btw, 24 days is perfect...the hydeaway inn in waitsfield are great people. about 90 bucks last year, but a great bar, food, cute suite-style rooms and they'll do your laundry FOR you!! which is saying a lot considering how nasty i was when i showed up there last year!! i plan on stopping again.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by vonfrick View Post
    well that settles it. we make a right. see ya out there

btw, 24 days is perfect...the hydeaway inn in waitsfield are great people. about 90 bucks last year, but a great bar, food, cute suite-style rooms and they'll do your laundry FOR you!! which is saying a lot considering how nasty i was when i showed up there last year!! i plan on stopping again.
    Awesome, hope to see you and wargy out there!

In the norther sections, shelters are often spaced 6-8 miles apart. You'll have a nice shelter for a lunch spot, and hit the second one for a 14 mile day, which will be tough. My advice would be to pack on some extra miles on the AT/LT, esp. around Stratton, north of Bromley, and leading up to Killington. Shelters are often closer together so you can often do an extra 4 miles without a problem. Some of my favorite spots to hit: Goddard Shelter, Spruce Peak Shelter, Whistle Stop Cafe at Clarendon Gorge, Inn At Long Trail, Skyline Lodge, Montclair Glen, Duck Brook, Butler Lodge, Taft Lodge, Sterling Pond/Whiteface Shelter, Roundtop, Hazen's Notch Camp, Camp on Jay Peak/Laura Woodard. Enjoy your trip!
    Spiderbite
    LT '09
    NP '10

Did it once in the 90s in 20 days (2 zeros) and again in 03 in 17 days (1 nero). We had time restraints the second time or I would have stretched it to 23-25 days. You get to enjoy more things on and off the trail if you go slower.

23 days is about perfect. Should give you days off to explore and time to check out some side trails.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++