WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Another record broken for trail run

http://www.vpr.net/news_detail/95596...-trail-record/

I did not see anything in this section on this and considered it newsworthy.

Images

Great effort...someone told me she never hiked the Long Trail and was astonished at how brutal the trail was.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

I hike, therefore I am.
    Images

That's amazing. It took me nearly a month of grueling work. it's hard to imagine such a feat.

Images

Running Guru Jim Fixx Died @52yo....just sayin'....I think I'll stick to walking&backpacking...you still meet AT hikers in their late 70's & early 80's.....anyone ever met a 70yo running on the trail(unless being chased by a bear)?

Quote Originally Posted by The Cleaner View Post
    .....anyone ever met a 70yo running on the trail(unless being chased by a bear)?
    yeah, quite a few when i used to run trail races. being fit doesn't mean your heart is healthy. i had a heart attack at 50 that damn near killed me

Running Guru Jim Fixx Died @52yo....just sayin'....I think I'll stick to walking&backpacking...you still meet AT hikers in their late 70's & early 80's.....anyone ever met a 70yo running on the trail(unless being chased by a bear)?
    Wrong. Running most likely extended his life, and probably would have been much more beneficial if he wasn't a smoker, let alone his family history. Nature just screws some of us.
    Jim Fixx's history: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Fixx
    Excerpt:
    "In 1986 exercise physiologist Kenneth Cooper published an inventory of the risk factors that might have contributed to Fixx's death.[5] Granted access to his medical records and autopsy, and after interviewing his friends and family, Cooper concluded that Fixx was genetically predisposed (his father died of a heart attack at age 43 and Fixx himself had a congenitally enlarged heart), and had several lifestyle issues. Fixx was a heavy smoker prior to beginning running at age 36, he had a stressful occupation, he had undergone a second divorce, and his weight before he took up running had ballooned to 220 pounds (100 kg)."

There are plenty of people that run past their 70's http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUyMYHG_Vcg

The idea that running is bad for us is an old-fashion myth. Our bodies are mad to run; we did evolve as runners.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Great job. My hat is off to her.

Images

FYI I did check wikipedia and knew all of Jim's problems.I've somehow gotten arthritis so I need to keep moving just a little slower than most folks.If HYOH is the way it is,I guess RYOR does also...Now wasn't there some tale about a Tortoise and a Hare.....

I've somehow gotten arthritis so I need to keep moving just a little slower than most folks.
    Maybe you're one of the unfortunate people that mother nature has screwed ....

Images

The link in the OP said that Nikki was doing the run in part to raise money for a good non-profit org.That's great and I'm not trying to say this is wrong.Then I read the part about a film crew out there and probably some well wishers & support persons too.She's not the first and won't be the last to do this kind of run/hike.What concerns me is after all the celebrating&hoopla,I hope that someone is around to clean-up afterwards....I can see in the future the USFS getting involved and requiring permits&paperwork for these activities...

What concerns me is after all the celebrating&hoopla,I hope that someone is around to clean-up afterwards....I can see in the future the USFS getting involved and requiring permits&paperwork for these activities...
    what clean up? explain

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I'm really, really sorry I missed her. I think I finished just ahead of her.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    what clean up? explain
    Since I don't know exact details of who camped where,maybe Nikki is a strict LNT follower.The article said something about a film crew.Who were these people?Was it just a quick interview at a trailhead or did they camp along the trail or at nearby campgrounds?Maybe the local AT/Long Trail clubs donated some time to do clean-up so she could do the big miles required and travel light not carrying any of her own trash,even though she probably had very little.In some USFS areas certain activities now require special use permits.Sometimes it may be totally up to the District Ranger as to what kinds of activities are permitted as long as certain conditions are met.From the limited text it's kind of hard to find any of this out.
    I'm assuming the Long Trail is in National forest land but some may be on State owned land.The bottom line is that I'm glad she made her run and helped some folks out with money she raised.I would hope that this was an LNT event and she didn't run along the trail dropping energy gel packs and any other stuff.I wouldn't care as long there was someone to pick-up after her.
    As I'm sure you know the Rainbow people just had a gathering in Sullivan Co. TN and they had to get permits and abide to many conditions.These were two very different events but both on Public lands.I'm just saying I don't really care what group or persons do on public land as long as they leave things like they found them....

***? Way to make the most negative thoughts about a great feat with absolutely no basis. why would she be throwing trash all over the place? Why would the camera crew make a mess more than any other group? not that you know ANYTHING about the long trail but it crosses roads all the way up vermont and is extremely easy to do a supported run like this.

video of her running down Camel's Hump..

http://thelongtrailfilm.com/#/media/showreel film trailer

(btw this is not a new topic.. we were talking about it while she was running http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...-for-LT-record )

Since I don't know exact details
    I should have emphasized this.....

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    I met her while I was at the bar at the "Inn at the Long Trail", after it was all over. She was older and shorter than what I expected. She didn't look as beat up as I thought she would be either. I did see her feet, which did look pretty beat up.

I was calling her the "gost runner", as none of the 20 or so NOBO's I talked to saw her go by, though they all heard about her. The best I can figure is she passed me at night, after a thunderstorm, while I was at the Birch Glen Lodge, which is a little off the trail. This is on one of the more difficult and treacherous sections of trail, the traverse over Camel's Hump. It's amazing she didn't fall and break something. Not only along there, but anywhere along this trail.

From what I understand the "Film Crew" (which was a guy or two with a camara) met her at road crossings, though they did film her at the top of Camel's Hump.

All in all, a pretty impressive run.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    Yeah - Jen Pharr Davis blew past me on her 4th day last year in Maine. I guess that was my brush with greatness.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

Quote Originally Posted by jakedatc View Post
    I should have emphasized this.....
    Why is it that EVERYTIME someone lacks details, has no perpsective, adds no value, and takes a dump on whatever someone else is trying to do ALWAYS ends it with HYOH? **** would be more appropriate.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

Go easy on "The Cleaner"....some of the ultra trail runners of the recent past have had support crews that were definitely not practicing LNT....not to mention their attitude towards the rest of the hikers on the trail. Heard at one point they were claiming the peak of camels hump was closed so the runner wouldn't have any other hikers to deal with.

Heard on the news that Nikki's crew was much smaller and less intrusive than those of the past. The wife and I tried to catch her on the trail and cheer her on, but didn't find out where she was in time.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCountryWoods View Post
    Go easy on "The Cleaner"....some of the ultra trail runners of the recent past have had support crews that were definitely not practicing LNT....not to mention their attitude towards the rest of the hikers on the trail. Heard at one point they were claiming the peak of camels hump was closed so the runner wouldn't have any other hikers to deal with.

Heard on the news that Nikki's crew was much smaller and less intrusive than those of the past. The wife and I tried to catch her on the trail and cheer her on, but didn't find out where she was in time.
    regardless, he has no idea what they were doing, how they were handling things , etc. just jumping to the worse conclusion with no information.

I could say I think The Cleaner is a crappy driver because he drives a car and some people suck at driving...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++