WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question ? about Woods Hole Shelter and Bear Canister Requirement

When researching the first days for my Thru Hike, I have a question about the bear canister requirement. AWOL’s guide warns that Bear Canisters are required from Justis Creek to Neels Gap which definitely includes Blood Mtn Shelter, starting March 1. This meant that either a hiker holds up at Lance Creek or goes all the way to Neels Gap. However, Guthooks notes show that Woods Hole Shelter (although a somewhat long .4 off the trail) has both Bear Boxes and Bear Cables. Thus, my question, Is Woods Hole not part of the Canister Rule, or are the box and cables for times outside of the March 1st - June 1st requirement?
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

I'm pretty sure Woods Hole falls under the bear canister rule while it is in effect. The boxes and cables are for the rest of the year, although it doesn't really make sense with the boxes there.

Images

you need the canister at woods hole to brother . if you walk straight through and do not camp in that area you do not need it .

Unless they moved the forbidden zone, the canister requirement starts at Jarrard Gap, not Justus creek.

You can camp at Lance creek, which is just before the canister zone. You only gain a couple of miles by going to Woods Hole and not only is it 0.4 miles away, it's 0.4 miles down hill. I doubt you would get into any trouble using the bear box or cables at Woods Hole, but the only reason I'd go there is if Lance Creek was overflowing with tents.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

you need to carry a bear canister . there is a bad bear problem going on right now in that area . i watched one last week almost get nailed by a car heading up the south side of blood . the rule is between jarrard and neels carry a bear canister including woods hole shelter .

I can assure you a canister is required during the restricted period. Verified with USFS.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Thefurther View Post
    you need to carry a bear canister . there is a bad bear problem going on right now in that area . i watched one last week almost get nailed by a car heading up the south side of blood . the rule is between jarrard and neels carry a bear canister including woods hole shelter .
    That's IF you are camping there. Many thru's just simply hike beyond it and camp and thus avoid the issue. HYOH

Images

dude , why are you telling me to hike my own hike ??? i clearly stated if you walk through you do not need it ... why don't you try reading the posts

Quote Originally Posted by Thefurther View Post
    dude , why are you telling me to hike my own hike ??? i clearly stated if you walk through you do not need it ... why don't you try reading the posts
    Reading and re-reading your post you fail to make the distinction between hiking through the zone without a can as opposed to camping in the zone with a can.
    More questions are asked about this poorly written rule than any others that I can think of.
    We need a Sticky explaining this misunderstood regulation when you join WhiteBlaze.
    I continue to be amazed by the bear management in Yellowstone and Glacier National Parks compared to the rest of the U. S. It’s like we have different animals on different planets.
    Be safe!
    Wayne

Images

Those parks have Grizzlies!

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy of PA View Post
    Those parks have Grizzlies!
    Yes. And...?
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Reading and re-reading your post you fail to make the distinction between hiking through the zone without a can as opposed to camping in the zone with a can.
    More questions are asked about this poorly written rule than any others that I can think of.
    We need a Sticky explaining this misunderstood regulation when you join WhiteBlaze.
    I continue to be amazed by the bear management in Yellowstone and Glacier National Parks compared to the rest of the U. S. It’s like we have different animals on different planets.
    Be safe!
    Wayne
    Re-read the furthers first post, he indeed made the distinction quite clear.

Thanks for the help and clarification on Jarred Gap. There really is no camping “beyond” the required area, because the canister requirement ends at Neels Gap. The point of my question was to figure out the mile point that I have to commit to stopping to camp or to hike the entire way to Neels Gap because I will not be carrying a Canister. Woods Hole works out great for mileage reasons but is now out of the question for me between 3/1 to 6/1. Thanks for the clarification on the boxes and cables at Woods Hole.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

A hiking buddy of mine had a fun run in with a bear just north of neels gap this year. It kept coming towards his camp site even though they were yelling and making lots of noise. It finally gave up, reluctantly, when he got very close.

So it seems like then that a good non canister warm up itinerary from Springer would be Hawk mt-Lance Creek-Neel Gap.
    BR360
    "no one is a thru-hiker, until they have done the whole AT."

Images

if you read the first post i put up you will see that i clearly state the facts . the second post is because directly after i said the factual rule of carrying a bear canister through jarrard to neels a post popped up saying that a person probably would be ok at woods hole without a canister and it is not . it clearly states it on the atc website and has been a rule for a few years . maybe a sticky should go up about people giving advice they have no idea about is a bad idea cause it might get someone hurt . i have been a member of white blaze for many years pi just never really got on here and could not remember my password for the other name or the name . it is still the same on here people being mean to one another and arguing . people trying to know more than the next guy . that is pretty much why i never get on here . i would say 90 percent of what i post on here gets put down or someone says something rude or negative . what a way to show new hikers what the community is about .

Images

hey bro if this is peanut butter the one that called me the other night from the bus station i want to tell you i called that gas station back at least 20 times and you never called me back . i had one of my shuttle drivers going to pick you up he was just closer than i was brother . if you need some food or something to get you by call me and i have stuff for you to get you further up the trail . peace and love my friend .

Once again.
    Way too much about way too little.
    I promise to grin and bear it and never ever respond to one of these discussions ever again.
    Hiking my own hikes without silly regulations.
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by El JP View Post
    So it seems like then that a good non canister warm up itinerary from Springer would be Hawk mt-Lance Creek-Neel Gap.
    Yes it is. But if you throw in the Approach Trail, it can cause some unequal milage days. I was trying to stay around 13 per day, so we shall wait and see how it unfolds.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Yes. And...?
    Wayne
    Lions and Tigers and Grizzlies...oh my!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++