WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Oh that's my granddaughter.. she is protected from wolves and rodents of unusual size.
    I thought it was really a poacher you caught in your hammock trap that was attempting to raid the bumper "cash" crop you got growing back beyond those trees.

Images

Havent seen a single bear the entire trip.slept with my food every night except twice in the smokies when i tented near the cables.no bears.budget cuts,i guess

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    Havent seen a single bear the entire trip.slept with my food every night except twice in the smokies when i tented near the cables.no bears.budget cuts,i guess
    That's the way... uh huh.. uh huh... I like it... uh huh... uh huh!!

These morons who can't be bothered to handle their food properly are going to end up getting some of these bears killed. It's disgusting. If you don't know what you're doing, stay home.
    ~~
    Allen "Monkeywrench" Freeman
    NOBO 3-18-09 - 9-27-09
    blog.allenf.com
    [email protected]
    www.allenf.com

I don't understand people's problem with hanging their food. When done properly you avoid problems like this. People seem to think that hanging food is done to protect the food from the bear, it's to protect you from the bear and the bear from learning bad habits. I know it must be so troubling to some fo carry a few ounces of Paracord but really...

Since this is second hand info, I question the validity and circumstances of the story.

Images

There used to be a first-hand account floating around on here about a tent ripped open by a bear while the hiker was sleeping in it, maybe around Mt. Washington? I couldn't find the post in a search but I remember reading it.

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

I was hiking in PA two years ago and read a shelter log entry from someone the night before who claimed a bear ripped off their tent fly and made off with their food. They came up to the shelter to sleep and then hiked out. Not sure if they were long distance hikers or just some folks out for the weekend. We made sure our bear bag was extra well hung that night.
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

I have the solution to all these problems.......bear burgers!!!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris View Post
    I don't understand people's problem with hanging their food. When done properly you avoid problems like this. People seem to think that hanging food is done to protect the food from the bear, it's to protect you from the bear and the bear from learning bad habits. I know it must be so troubling to some fo carry a few ounces of Paracord but really...
    "when done properly" is key.most have no clue,this spring i saw bags hung on shrubs outside tents, as well as bags hung too close to the tree trunk or on too heavy a branch.these are the bags that ruin the bear, not the food bag i use as a pillow( i use lopsak odor proof liners). theyre attracted to the smells of the hanging fruit, and when its easy to pluck the fruit off the vine,well thats when bears become a problem.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

"when done properly" is key.most have no clue,this spring i saw bags hung on shrubs outside tents, as well as bags hung too close to the tree trunk or on too heavy a branch.these are the bags that ruin the bear, not the food bag i use as a pillow( i use lopsak odor proof liners). theyre attracted to the smells of the hanging fruit, and when its easy to pluck the fruit off the vine,well thats when bears become a problem.
    This.....

The only critters in the woods that are brave enough to try and steal food that is in my possession are the mice...
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    This.....

The only critters in the woods that are brave enough to try and steal food that is in my possession are the mice...
    Ditto.....
    I am not young enough to know everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Echraide View Post
    There used to be a first-hand account floating around on here about a tent ripped open by a bear while the hiker was sleeping in it, maybe around Mt. Washington? I couldn't find the post in a search but I remember reading it.
    You may be thinking of the “bear attack” in the NorthCarolina Black Balsams next to the Shining Rock Wilderness last fall. The press said a bear attacked campers intent and took their food. A PisgahDistrict ranger was quoted as saying, “There was one incident when a bear madecontact with a tent.” The unofficial storyis that two campers decided to store their food in an empty tent and sleep inanother (and they blamed the poor bear). The Forest Service then recommended to hang food while in the area. However, there were six other incidents reportedto the FS last fall before they suspending overnight camping in Shining Rock andthe Graveyard Fields – all six “incidents” were bears stealing food bags fromtrees. Go figure.

Journal Entries
    Images

I like to make it to camp early so I'll have time to find a good tree to hang my food bag. I think a lot of thru-hikers are pushing to many miles, and by the time you make it to camp your so tired you dont care where you hang your food bag nor hang it right.

The more I piece your method together, the more I see logic in it. This subject was the 1st one I debated you on when I first joined Whiteblaze. At the time, I believed your method was purely born of laziness. I now concede that there is far more danger of ruining bears via improper hangs than there is in what you are doing. I also concede that your method is a logical plan that is mindful of the bear's safety. I fully agree with your fruit off the vine analogy. An improper hang is a plan begging for failure. Having said that, I will still be hanging my food and doing it right.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Ace View Post
    You may be thinking of the “bear attack” in the NorthCarolina Black Balsams next to the Shining Rock Wilderness last fall. The press said a bear attacked campers intent and took their food.
    No, this wasn't characterized as an attack but as a tent ripped open and stuff taken during the night while the hiker was in the tent. The hiker said there was no food in the tent and they ran out and chased the bear thinking it was a raccoon or something! I'm sure it happened in New England.

Ten feet up, ten feet out... Simple.

It's the last thing I do in camp, and sometimes that means I'm not in 'hiking shape,' yet somehow I always seem to get it done and done right.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++