WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Thru Hike in less than 90 days

Hello,

I'm a recent college grad and I've always planned on doing a thru hike. The obsticle that I face is that I was quickly hired as a teacher, so teh average time of 5-7 months isn't an opption. The summer that I will have is right at 92 days excluding any changes. I would simply like to know how long it took some of you and if you think this would be a possibility.

Thanks

The math is simple. You would have to hike 24+ AT miles (plus side jaunts to shelters, streams, towns for resupply) per day, every day, with no breaks in order to do that. Do you think you could do that?
    ~~
    Allen "Monkeywrench" Freeman
    NOBO 3-18-09 - 9-27-09
    blog.allenf.com
    [email protected]
    www.allenf.com

The answer- you have . Look to the question---5-7 months. Hike as much as you can and enjoy as much . You also picked a profession were you can pick up were you left off .A three month vacation paid by the taxpayers is not a bad deal!

You'll probably find that you enjoy doing two 3-month section hikes more than a lot of thru hikers enjoy one long hike. There's less burn out, fewer financial issues, and better weather (assuming you have the summers off).

Granted, you'll have to repeat the initial 2-week break in period the second year, but that's a small price to pay for the benefits.

Why are you hiking? To be able to call yourself a thru hiker (If so, attempt it in 92 days and be miserable or find someone to slack you the entire way) or to enjoy backpacking the AT? (if so, do two sections)

24 miles per day every day. even on resupply days and days of torrential downpours.

take one day off a week for rest and resupply and you need to hike 28 miles per day every hiking day.

possible? yes, for a very, very few individuals. almost impossible for us mere mortals. plan on taking 2 years to complete the trail.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Razor View Post
    The answer- you have . Look to the question---5-7 months. Hike as much as you can and enjoy as much . You also picked a profession were you can pick up were you left off .A three month vacation paid by the taxpayers is not a bad deal!
    Yes, a two year section hike does sound more reasonable, and you will never hear me complain about having a paid summer break.

Working on Forestry Grad schol

plenty of people who are fit & have a 'i want to hike most of the day' mentality have finished on that timeline.

If you're not one of those people then just do it in 2 sections.

Congrats on finishing your degree and landing a teaching job. Enjoy your hike.

I say don't plan a timetable or mail drops and such.
    Just pack light and resupply as you go, and get off the trail when it's time to start your job.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Ever done long distance hiking before?
    The record is 46 days, fully supported.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

You also picked a profession were you can pick up were you left off .A three month vacation paid by the taxpayers is not a bad deal![/QUOTE] Don't worry, the taxpayers will more than make it up in unpaid overtime and out of pocket spending.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Garlic
    Images

I made my AT thru hike at age 52 in 106 days and I'm not an endurance athlete or even close--just consistent and experienced. My longest day was 29 miles. I only took three zero days, so you don't have to take one day off every week as is commonly thought. 92 days is not out of the question for an athlete with some trail experience. At some point, that experience is really the key--you can't get waylaid by blisters or sunburn or poison ivy, or take days off waiting for new gear to arrive, and you have to be efficient at resupplying and taking care of personal business in towns. Good luck!
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Journal Entries
    Images

That would be one heck of a hump.

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
    Ever done long distance hiking before?
    The record is 46 days, fully supported.
    And by fully supported, this means insoles that address all areas of the foot!

92 days is QUICK. Add a 1 to the front of that and that's my goal.
    Whatever you decide, let us know how it works out.
    Have great hike and start to your new career!

Just so we are clear tax payers do not pay for out "vacation". We are paid 10 months!!

Just thought I would clarify that!

Quote Originally Posted by southern fossil View Post
    Just so we are clear tax payers do not pay for out "vacation". We are paid 10 months!!

Just thought I would clarify that!
    Teachers aren't paid near enough for the importance of their jobs to ourselves, our families, and our nation - no matter how many months.

Quote Originally Posted by nbeaty64 View Post
    Hello,

I'm a recent college grad and I've always planned on doing a thru hike. The obstacle that I face is that I was quickly hired as a teacher, so the average time of 5-7 months isn't an option. The summer that I will have is right at 92 days excluding any changes. I would simply like to know how long it took some of you and if you think this would be a possibility.

Thanks
    On the home page see:hiker advise (left column),then find (AT hiking rates section by section)at the bottom,this should give you a good idea of what is generally thought but by no means set in stone.have a great hike.

92 days is 'quick' but it's far from 'unlikely'. I know a few people who have 'comfortably' hiked the AT in 90-100 days. Hiking in summer means fewer hikers around, more daylight, less people in towns to distract - all very good for making miles.

I think it depends on experience, whether or not you know 'what it feels like' to hike 26 miles back to back, 'how it feels' to walk across the road in the rain and keep hiking in soggy socks when a $40 motel is 3 miles down that road, with a pizza place across the road, etc...

I've always felt that there is a big difference between say 90 days, and 100-105...just seems to be that threshold there. And remember as others have said, you won't hike every day, so I would budget on a 6-6.5 day week, certainly not 7 days.

A 3 month hike is epic regardless, have fun!

92 days is doable at your age if you pack light, have a BMI of 19-23, and have been physically active.
    You would also want to do it, rather than stop for beer and pizza and stuff.

Just to clarify...teachers don't get paid during the summer. Why do you think so many of them are painting houses during July and August.

Quote Originally Posted by Winds View Post
    Teachers aren't paid near enough for the importance of their jobs to ourselves, our families, and our nation - no matter how many months.
    +1 that!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++