WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default December 23, 2015

At the bottom of the home page it states that the most visitors ever on the forum was 9,543 on 12-23-2015. I’ve always wondered what might have been happening on that date to attract so many people. Does anyone know?

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Move toward mainstream Social Media and mobile apps.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Viking View Post
    Move toward mainstream Social Media and mobile apps.
    There may be a gradual decline for those reasons. I’ve been a member since 2011, and I’ve never seen numbers even close to the 9,543 on 12-23-2015, so there must have been something unusual on that date.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Hikers posting xmas wish lists. BTW Santa, this year I'd like some new hiking shoes.

Import of users, conversion by a software upgrade. Stuff like that. If you also will note the number of bots and such online, mining data.
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

Images

My wife's 55th Birthday.

Florida man shoots self while demonstrating how to clean a firearm.
    https://www.wtsp.com/article/news/lo...un/67-45910499

Florida man crashes car trying to time travel.
    https://news3lv.com/archive/police-m...ida-businesses
    " 6 bucks and my left nut says we're not going to be landing in Chicago" Del Griffith

Quote Originally Posted by slowdive View Post
    This has got to be the reason. Wouldn't everyone want to know why he failed? (The level of idiocy on display in this news article is extremely high even for Florida).
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

…and he was stupidly trying to taking the two sure things in life.

Florida man shoots self while demonstrating how to clean a firearm.
    https://www.wtsp.com/article/news/lo...un/67-45910499

Interesting, but how does it relate to Whiteblaze, other than the fact these incidents happen to occur on the same date as the most Whiteblaze users online?

"Social Media" has taken more and more of the share of conversations regarding topics of all types, including hiking. Several of the forums I have participated on in the past, related to hiking and other topics, have declined relative to "social media". Personally, I prefer the older style forums but I'm nearly a half century old.

What would be interesting to see are the stats the day before and the day after. If there was a significant increase from the day before and significant decrease the day after, then that would lead me to believe something unique happened. However, there is the possibility that of all the days this site has been in existence, that December 23 2015 just happened to be the day of most visitors. There has to be a high point somewhere. You did bring up something interesting to talk about though.
    " 6 bucks and my left nut says we're not going to be landing in Chicago" Del Griffith

What would be interesting to see are the stats the day before and the day after. If there was a significant increase from the day before and significant decrease the day after, then that would lead me to believe something unique happened. However, there is the possibility that of all the days this site has been in existence, that December 23 2015 just happened to be the day of most visitors. There has to be a high point somewhere. You did bring up something interesting to talk about though.
    I’ve been a member since 2011, and I’ve never seen such large number of people online before or after that date.
    rhjanes, in post #5, may have the best theory (“Import of users, conversion by a software upgrade. Stuff like that. If you also will note the number of bots and such online, mining data”).

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    "Social Media" has taken more and more of the share of conversations regarding topics of all types, including hiking. Several of the forums I have participated on in the past, related to hiking and other topics, have declined relative to "social media". Personally, I prefer the older style forums but I'm nearly a half century old.
    You're still young.

Using the Wayback Machine:
    Dec 22 2015 home page: https://web.archive.org/web/20151222...um/content.php
    Dec 25 2015 home page: https://web.archive.org/web/20151225...um/content.php
    The previous high appears to be in Sept of 2015 and before that late April of 2015 with more than 3000. Of five dates checked in 2015, found one in 900s.

All whiteblaze.net wayback machine dates for your reminiscing pleasure: https://web.archive.org/web/20150501...um/content.php

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    I think we're around the same age and I echo your sentiments. Facebook specifically has diluted so many once large and tight knit online communities.
    It is what it is.

Wild was released December 3, 2014 in the US. This movie introduced a lot of people to the idea of long distance hiking. Both the PCT and the AT saw a lot of extra visitation the following year. I imagine this played into the larger number of visitors on whiteblaze.

My first thought was a legendary Baltimore Jack vs. Warren Doyle debate. Or maybe a Q&A by Minnesota Smith? Or perhaps Wingfoot dropped by?

++ New Posts ++