WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default Waterproof Superhydrophobic Spray is now here at a store near you Next Week!

Superhydrophobic clothing is nothing new.. I saw it in action on high end rain coats at the cutting edge of Men's Warehouse 15years ago, I have been waiting a very long time to add it to my big 4 = pack, jacket, Sleeping bag, shoes... Imagine everything totally water-resistant & water proof, welcome to SUPER HYDROPHOBIC! No more pack covers, no more thick gortex arguments... thing light weight polypro or

It's at Home Depot and I will be buying a few cans. AND its from Lancaster PA (Just around the corner)

Here are the video's the announcement and the company! See you at Home Depot...$20 bucks... best price ever....

Originally Published Jun 07, 2013 13:50
    By CHAD UMBLE
    Staff Writer
    [email protected]

Rust-Oleum NeverWet, a silicon-based spray developed by Lancaster-based Ross Nanotechnology, will be sold nationally at Home Depot stores through an agreement with Rust-Oleum, the company announced this week.
    The license agreement with the Rust-Oleum gives that company exclusive rights to sell the water-repelling product commercially in North America, according to Andrew Jones, president of Ross Nanotechnolgy, a subsidiary of Ross Technology Corp.
    When sprayed on a variety of surfaces, NeverWet is designed to create a superhydrophobic barrier, which repels water. Among other things, it can be used on metal, wood, masonry and aluminum as well as fabric, leather and canvas.
    The kit, which will retail for $19.97, includes two spray cans — a base coat and a top coat — that can cover 10-to-15-square feet.
    A store manager at the Home Depot in the Red Rose Commons on Fruitville Pike said a shipment of NeverWet is scheduled to be received Tuesday, June 11.
    Ross Technology has its headquarters in the Conestoga Valley Industrial Park.

Read more: http://lancasteronline.com/article/l...#ixzz2VlaOSZrz

Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

So how toxic is it? both to the environment and item, How long does it last? repeated washings? wear and tear abrasion on clothing . otherwise looks interesting

Journal Entries
    Images

Oh I have no idea Heartfire, Honest! How it works is a sub layer and top layer repels the H2O electrons like a apposed magnet.. water simply is so apposed it cannot be absorbed into the material. It is a repel beyond a 30 degree angle (beads) and prevents water getting into the fabric at a molecular level. The spray adds lots of electrons to the fabric to repel water. There has to be something as a substrate to make it stick and hold ... washes will abrade the product and reduce the value.

This is not an environmental issue if you are unsure please PM me.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Not interested ... until it works on electronics, i.e., my smartphone and my camera. THEN I'll rush out to buy some.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Images

Rain Man, I think you may be interested. "I sprayed my iPhone with NeverWet, submerged it in a foot of water for 30 minutes, took it out and it was good to go," Jones said.

Read more: http://lancasteronline.com/article/l...#ixzz2VmcCEAeG

Journal Entries

I wonder how this would work in conjunction with permathrin? which one would you apply first?
    Blackheart

I'm interested. If not for hiking than for my boat. A sail is asked to withstand years of the elements without care, this could well make that easier.

*then

Will this product be stocked next to the dehydrated water?

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeBill View Post
    I wonder how this would work in conjunction with permathrin? which one would you apply first?

Depends on where you put the permathrin

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    Will this product be stocked next to the dehydrated water?
    It's stocked next to the Expialidocious.

Quote Originally Posted by slow mind View Post
    I'm interested. If not for hiking than for my boat. A sail is asked to withstand years of the elements without care, this could well make that easier.
    Yabbut: At $20 for 10 - 15 square feet of coverage, you're going to use an awful lot of this stuff for even a small sail. Plus, since this is a surface treatment, you'd probably have to apply it to both sides of the trail.

But I think it would be great for packs - no carryi g and putti g on pack covers.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Flounder940 View Post
    Rain Man, I think you may be interested. "I sprayed my iPhone with NeverWet, submerged it in a foot of water for 30 minutes, took it out and it was good to go," Jones said.
    That article was dated August 2011, closing in on two years old, yet I'd say this product is not widely used on smart phones, nor do any smart phone vendors that I know of recommend it.

Something's up with that. I wouldn't spray it on my brand new smart phone, in other words. Maybe my old camera.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    That article was dated August 2011, closing in on two years old, yet I'd say this product is not widely used on smart phones, nor do any smart phone vendors that I know of recommend it.

Something's up with that. I wouldn't spray it on my brand new smart phone, in other words. Maybe my old camera.

RainMan

Motorola is using a competing product of the same makeup on their phones at the factory.

The Never-wet innovation is with the application process, but the underlying waterproof nano technology is being used by multiple companies and is proven.

My understanding is it is not very abrasion resistant and will not stand up to chemicals or detergents. Motorola coats the inside of the phones so the limitations are not an issue.

It might make a pretty good coating for tent flys and other gear that doesn't get washed or see much abrasion.

Might even work on boots if reapplied periodically. I might give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by bfayer View Post

It might make a pretty good coating for tent flys and other gear that doesn't get washed or see much abrasion.

Might even work on boots if reapplied periodically. I might give it a try.
    Agree on the fly. But I would want to know about breathability before using on anything I wear. Otherwise it might be like wrapping yourself in plastic wrap. You'll get wet from the inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    Agree on the fly. But I would want to know about breathability before using on anything I wear. Otherwise it might be like wrapping yourself in plastic wrap. You'll get wet from the inside.
    I believe it is suppose to coat the fibers within the fabric, not the fabric as a whole. I'm dubious about the longevity, though. I expect WOO will give a a full report as things develop.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Journal Entries
    Images

says its updated Updated Jun 07, 2013 15:35????

FB I am buying it and trying it!

just purchased an advanced order and free shipping to the house... YA
    Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 06-10-2013 at 21:00.

Woo

Images

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeBill View Post
    +1

If it negates permethrin it limits its usage a lot.

Journal Entries
    Images

Honest I do not think so... a rainshell doesn't need permethrin if I was doing my tech pants the lower half would get permethrin for ticks. The upper front above the knee is were I get soaked...

look this is so cool and uber light - I can't understand why people wouldn't get excited... Waterproof clothing and Sleep system and no more pack covers... in fact its cheaper than a pack cover!

Woo

What interests me is the potential for truly breathable rain wear. But I'll let WOO be the lab-owl.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++