WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Images

Default i need a new tent

been using a big agnes flycreek ul2, i developed a hole in the rainfly(probably from some campfire ember) and its got a lot of wear and tear on it. Im attempting a thru next spring, and need to look at some alternatives, not necessarily free standing.

Images

If I were buying a new solo tent right now, I'd get a Tarptent Notch. Two doors, two vestibules, uses my trekking poles, double wall, less than two pounds. Not free standing, of course.

It looks like a nice upgrade to my Moment, which I rather like.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

If I was getting a new tent it would be the Tarptent Notch with solid and screened interior. Two different interior options and also can be used without the screen/floor for superlight.

Big cranky beat me by one minute.

Ever tried a hammock? Not being pushy just curious.

Well I went for the free standing BA copper spur UL1...but the TT "Notch" was second on my list...tons of room it looks like...

Here's yet another +1 for the Notch. Roomy, light, airy, and rainproof (if you seal the seams well).
    "We can no longer live as rats. We know too much." -- Nicodemus

The new TT Moment is now double wall with 2 entrances, slightly larger than the Notch, about the same weight, and can be free standing, with the optional pole. Also look at the Heartlight tents, Solo and SoLong 6 Standard, a real palace for a one person tent.
    "You have brains in your head/You have feet in your shoes/You can steer yourself in any direction you choose." - Dr. Seuss

I really like the Six Moon Designs "Skyscape Trekker" I bought for my spring hike. At 24 oz it's pretty light, sets up in reasonably tight spaces, I sit up in it with out rubbing my head on the top and not have my elbows touch the sides when changing a shirt. I weathered some pretty good T storms and all night rains without getting wet too. There is some minor misting during real heavy rain, which is to be expected.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

I just got a TT double rainbow which is light has two doors and has a great weight to interior space ratio, though I haven't even had a chance to use it yet aside from setting it up in the yard so I can't give too much of an in depth review.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    I just got a TT double rainbow which is light has two doors and has a great weight to interior space ratio, though I haven't even had a chance to use it yet aside from setting it up in the yard so I can't give too much of an in depth review.
    thank you, ill go with that one. you really sold me.i did look at the lightheart solo, saw it at hiker bash in franklin where coincidentally dozens of gear vendors were hanging out. i was impressed.
    i did like my flycreek, may even go back to it, but i would prefer a side vestibule.

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57:1487159
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    thank you, ill go with that one. you really sold me.i did look at the lightheart solo, saw it at hiker bash in franklin where coincidentally dozens of gear vendors were hanging out. i was impressed.
    i did like my flycreek, may even go back to it, but i would prefer a side vestibule.
    I have the double rainbow and its a great tent.

Images

I like hammocks better, but if you're going to stay on the ground, I like the flexibility of the Echo I or Echo II. $$$ though.

Get the Tarptent Notch. Weighs 1.5 lbs. Great double wall shelter.

My daughter says her contrail isn't holding up well in the rain. is the notch that much better?

1. "My daughter says her contrail isn't holding up well in the rain. "

The trick with the Contrail is to learn to set it up nice and taut,
      If done correctly at the start it is then easy to adjust from the inside if it sags later on.
      (you lift the pole up a bit...)
      here is one of my backyard tests :

BTW, the Notch might be easier to set up , still some are better than others at doing that.I have several video clips on the Contrail including a short one of two days and two nights of rain on the Contrail (Spring in Australia) and Setting Up The Contrail part 1 and 2.
    (You Tube Franco Darioli)

link for the video clip on previous post :
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mD5t3TOrUa0

I'm not 100% sure if Hikerboy is cool enough to own a USA made Tarptent Notch or Double Rainbow!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rasty View Post
    I'm not 100% sure if Hikerboy is cool enough to own a USA made Tarptent Notch or Double Rainbow!
    probably not

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57:1487489
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasty View Post
    probably not
    Reverse psychology didn't work

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++