WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Smartwool Socks?

Based on the reviews I've read Smartwool socks seem to be the way to go, but which ones does the Whiteblaze community recommend? I'm planning on making a through hike and I'll most likely be wearing trail running shoes (not hiking boots). How thick should the socks be? Is it better to get lower socks (because of the heat higher socks produce) or higher socks (for better protection)?

I wear Smartwool socks all year long, work or of the trail. PHD Outdoor Light Mini (previously Adrenaline).
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Journal Entries
    Images

I recommend Darn Tough wool socks (about 30% polyester). The thread is tightly wound, and the fabric is dense and tightly woven. I love how they feel. They usually cost between $15 and $30 a pair. They are guaranteed forever, and the company honors the guarantee. If you get a hole in your socks, just bring them to an outfitter that sells them, and you will get a new pair free.
    David Smolinski

Images

I have both a pair of Darn Tough socks and Smartwool

Darn Tough socks tend to be thinner and a little bit more "rugged" than the Smartwools. I don't find them as soft yet they seem to be just as comfortable. They also don't seem to show any wear. However, they do accumulate sweat and won't dry until you take your shoes off. If you search around Marshall's Stores you can find them for about 10 bucks with some sort of "irregularity". I don't know what the irregularity was in mine, but a hole appeared in the heel after first use. I have a sewing machine and stitched it. No problems since!

As for Smartwool, I have their normal line of hiking socks, though I hear the PHD's are pretty nice. You can get various types of cushioning from light to heavy. I went with the medium and the length that goes just above the ankles. They are super soft and stay dry no matter what even when I still have them in the shoe. The downside, they seem to get really frizzy with lots of wool fibers popping out all over. I don't really find it an issue though.

Hope this helps...

Journal Entries
    Images

Your kidding? your feet can tell the difference? Nope!

WallyWorld >>>> Hunters's Wollies... http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hunter-s-S...edium/16439983
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    I wear Smartwool socks all year long, work or of the trail. PHD Outdoor Light Mini (previously Adrenaline).
    me too! purchase DARK colors - - when they are wet and need drying in the sun on a rock, the dark colors will absorb more heat and dry faster.

Thanks for all the tips! Dark colors do seem like a good idea. Anyone care to weigh in on the long vs. short?

PCT 2013, most of AT 2011, rest of AT 2014

I like long socks as a defense against bugs. I keep em scrunched down when I'm hiking to let the most skin breathe, and pull them up to mid-calf the minute I stop moving. That's just one consideration, though; I don't think short vs. long socks really matters too much in the long run.
    "Hahk your own hahk." - Ron Haven

"The world is a book, of which those who do not travel read only a page." - St. Augustine

http://www.scrubhiker.com/

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Your kidding? your feet can tell the difference? Nope!

WallyWorld >>>> Hunters's Wollies... http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hunter-s-S...edium/16439983
    Not after my feet get used to them. I have a pair of cheap Timberland ones that I got at a discount store. They can itch like a mother when you first put them on but they are as good as any wool socks once you get going.

Costco Kirkland brand Merlino wool blend socks are the best value I've found.

++ New Posts ++