WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Desert Dog

Default Desert Dog

I just saw that the park service is going to require reservations and fees for all hikers in the Smokies. For thru hikers this may be a problem. Does anyone know how this systems is suppose to work. Do we reserve and pay at Fontana Dam?

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Dog View Post

I just saw that the park service is going to require reservations and fees for all hikers in the Smokies. For thru hikers this may be a problem. Does anyone know how this systems is suppose to work. Do we reserve and pay at Fontana Dam?
    http://www.nps.gov/grsm/parknews/bc-camping-fee.htm

Doesn't start until 2013. Just curious, but how do you see it as a problem for thru-hikers?
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

The problem is .. are they going to staff the office at Fotana Dam year round so that AT Thru Hiker don't have to wait around days just to get a permit and pay the fee?

I seem to remember them already having something like this in place when I went through in 2010. Thru-Hikers were exempt from any fee, we just needed to fill out a form and place part of it in the drop box by the dam, the rest we put on our packs. There are a few places along the trail that require you to do this.

++ New Posts ++