WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Petzl Tikka XP 2 LED Headlamp

Having been a Black Diamond headlamp user I recently bought a Petzl Tikka XP and here are a few comments and comparsions.

~ First off ; this Petzl has a diffuser feature that works very well spreading the light over a wider area and softens the brightness which is especially nice when at shelters .

~The beam on the XP2 seems better ( illuminates a brighter beam ) than the Spot .

~The night vision red LED works great for reading or locating objects close by without being obtrusive. No difference there in comparison.

~ I also like the suggested longer battery life , up to 80 hrs(high beam), 160 hrs ( low beam) but obviously can't comment just yet on that.

REI stores have this Petzl headlamp on 30% off at $37.93 thru their website at www.rei.com .
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Images

Just wanted to comment that I recently picked up one of these at REI. The price tag and features looked like a win-win. Beam is bright, and I'm really impressed by the diffuser. Seemed more like a marketing gimmick but it actually works quite well.

Only thing I'm concerned with is the angle adjusting feature. No problems, and it seems stable - but moving parts always have the tendency to break. Only time will tell, but so far it seems to be a superior headlamp. "I want the gold!"

Journal Entries

Black Diamond is half the weight. So compromise on the other factors.

On my last fall trip my buddy had all kinds of problems with his, including the adjustable angle feature. His was pretty old though, and things do wear out. I also had one on my Christmas wish list and got it from Santa. We'll see how it holds up.

For no-frills lighting though, I've been very happy with my Energizer cheapie headlamp from Wally World.

I just got the same headlamp on clearance +20% off at EMS. Great deal! Their sale may still be going on. I really wanted a headlamp with the red feature and this one was perfect for the price

Petzl is a world class company. I've used their gear for years, headlamps and climbing gear. I've also got the E lite headlamp. Weighs in at .95 oz
    Buy the ticket, you take the ride. - Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by wahoowingo View Post
    This light puts out 65 lumens, weighs 3 oz...what Black Diamond model weighs 1.5 oz...I'd like to get one.

I used to have the Pezel Zipka and it lasted for well over 7 years...and I used it every day for at least an hour or two as a reading light. When I first bought it I was a little bit concerned that the skinny string would wear out and break or that the spring that caused the string to retract would fail, but in 7 years of daily use neither were ever an issue. I ended up having to replace it because I have a loft bed and dropped it enough times that the case eventually cracked and the batteries wouldn't stay where they were supposed to...but we're talking about dropping it dozens of times from a height of over 6 feet onto a hard floor. I'm planning on buying another Zipka because I replaced it with a cheap store brand (out of convenience...I needed a replacement that day and there is no outfitter local here)...anyway, the cheap replacement has an elastic headband, and the think is now on the tightest setting and it is stretched out to the point where it flops on my head...so I don't know if this is common to other brands of headlamps, but I do know that I never had this problem with the Zipka and when I do buy a new headlamp that is what I plan on buying.

I have one, and love it. A little heavy for a thru-hike, but a great all-round lamp. I have the tactikka version that can detach from the band and go on a belt clip, helmet mount, etc. The versatility is definitely worth it for me.

I have the Petzl Tikka XP 2 I love it, it comes with the CORE lithium battery pack but you could also use rechargeable AAA's. I have used it for overnight endurance events that may involve getting a little wet. The smooth ability to damper the light to avoid blinding people is great and im sure the others can appreciate that. Its not submergible (nor do I want to try it out) but for its light weight and features, its worth it.

I think Petzl dropped the ball on this headlamp. I have had the original XP for many years, and just got an XP2 for free with a purchase from Moontrail. The XP2 headlamp housing is a translucent plastic that allows a lot of light to bleed out in all directions, including toward my face. Maybe this isn't a problem for people who don't wear glasses, but the light gets behind my lenses and reflects into my eyes so bad that I won't use the headlamp any more until I paint the housing or put some electrical tape on it. Petzl chose marketing over the better design. The Tikka Plus I got for my son has the same clear plastic housing.

Quote Originally Posted by George P Burdell View Post
    I think Petzl dropped the ball on this headlamp. I have had the original XP for many years, and just got an XP2 for free with a purchase from Moontrail. The XP2 headlamp housing is a translucent plastic that allows a lot of light to bleed out in all directions, including toward my face. Maybe this isn't a problem for people who don't wear glasses, but the light gets behind my lenses and reflects into my eyes so bad that I won't use the headlamp any more until I paint the housing or put some electrical tape on it. Petzl chose marketing over the better design. The Tikka Plus I got for my son has the same clear plastic housing.
    I've had one for years with glasses and not had any real problem. If its sitting right above my glasses I'll get glare, but I just raise it up a little bit on my forehead and no problems.
    KBO, Ducky

Quote Originally Posted by wahoowingo View Post
    According to their web sites, the BD Spot is 54 g and the Petzl XP2 is 52 g (without batteries). Both then add 36 g for three batteries. They don't say what kind of batteries, but that weight is consistent with alkaline AAA. You could save 13 g by using Li AAA (both are compatible with Li).

Quote Originally Posted by Des View Post
    I've had one for years with glasses and not had any real problem. If its sitting right above my glasses I'll get glare, but I just raise it up a little bit on my forehead and no problems.
    Maybe I just have a poorly shaped head and wear my glasses too low? For me, the XP2 is the same effect as driving my car at night while someone has the dome light on; it's difficult to see. From a design standpoint, there is just no reason to use clear plastic that lets diffuse light out in all directions unless you want a lantern.

Journal Entries
    Images

I've been very happy with my Princeton Tec, it's made in the USA & they are set up every year at Trail Days & will gladly swap your old one for a new one if you have any problems at all!
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

I used the same Petzl and after seeing my brothers Blackdiamon Revolt decided to buy one. I couldn't be more happier. There is a big difference in the lumen output for night hiking and the red light just seems to give better range than my old petzl. Personally as much as I loved my petzl I'm much happier with my revolt.

++ New Posts ++