WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default Wolf Pen Gap Hostel

For the second straight time, me and Stacy stayed in the Wolfpen Gap Country Store and I would like to tell yall that it is GREAT. Becky and Steve once again provided better service than can be expected. They made us feel like family. The Pizza, Beer, and Wings provided an overall family atmosphere not to mention the home cooked Spaghetti and Burgers. Something I saw today troubled me though as the owner of another hostel in the area came here, took hikers to their hostel two days in a row, and even RECORDED the inside of this hostel. I will not say any names on white blaze (I did that on youtube and facebook), but I thought that was kinda crappy in terms of Ethics. Especially considering the fact that Steve and Becky Gooch are such nice people. That other hostel will NEVER get my money.

I would recommend this hostel to anyone! Make sure you guys check it out.

Tear Drop / Redemption 2015 GA-->ME
    JB (South Side aka Tear Drop) and Stacy (Snacks aka Redemption) 2014/2015 - Rebuilding The Unbreakable....

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyc...rhn5dwBltHGUxw
    New2theWild - come follow us!!

where is WPG hostel located?

there were 3 hostel owners up in northern NH and southern maine that would try to lure hikers away from other hostels back in the late 90s

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    there were 3 hostel owners up in northern NH and southern maine that would try to lure hikers away from other hostels back in the late 90s
    It's a shame really to me....there are so many hikers....so much business. No need for underhanded tactics. Wolf Pen Gap is 3 miles west of Gooch Gap.
    JB (South Side aka Tear Drop) and Stacy (Snacks aka Redemption) 2014/2015 - Rebuilding The Unbreakable....

Journal Entries

The Hiker Hostel at dahlonega has trademarked their name and has legal claim to use of the term "hiker hostel". They did an exhaustive search of businesses before claiming that. They have politely asked others in the area not to use it to avoid confusion. This one apparently still does.

It is a gas station and store. If they were picking people up there it because they were called.

You should learn all the info before you go posting about things you dont understand. Nothing underhanded going on, by the Hiker Hostel.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 02-18-2015 at 22:13.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    The Hiker Hostel at dahlonega has trademarked their name and has legal claim to use of the term "hiker hostel". They did an exhaustive search of businesses before claiming that. They have politely asked others in the area not to use it to avoid confusion. This one apparently still does.

It is a gas station and store. If they were picking people up there it because they were called.

You should learn all the info before you go posting about things you dont understand. Nothing underhanded going on, by the Hiker Hostel.
    At the end of the day, video recording the inside was a bit much.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JBandStacy2014 View Post
    At the end of the day, video recording the inside was a bit much.
    This has been going on since the hostel at wolfpen opened. I would think recording display of the term might be simple gathering of evidence....

wow........

Journal Entries
    Images

This has been going on since the hostel at wolfpen opened. I would think recording display of the term might be simple gathering of evidence....
    Just seems like a bit much to me. They are good people man. Vicious business tactics in my opinion, but hey, I am not in the hostel business.... BTW: Am I allowed to say hostel? lol My entire point is simple...MY OPINION is that it's underhanded and they won't get my money. My money wont make them or break them, but as a CONSUMER and PATRON, I am simply stating my opinion based on what I know and saw. That is all.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    wow........
    no kidding

Journal Entries

If another business close to your established successful business opens up and uses your trademarked name as part of theirs to confuse hikers and garner them business, just who is the underhanded one?

This is what the Hiker Hostel has had to deal with.

They did an exhaustive search of businesses, there were none calling themselves hiker hostel in the name , so they chose that term and trademarked it.

They have also been low key about it. You wont find a better hostel than the Hiker Hostel either, anywhere.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 02-18-2015 at 22:55.

Journal Entries
    Images

If another business close to your established successful business opens up and uses your trademarked name as part of theirs to confuse hikers and garner them business, just who is the underhanded one?

This is what the Hiker Hostel has had to deal with.

They did an exhaustive search of businesses, there were none calling themselves hiker hostel , so they chose that term and trademarked it.

They have also been low key about it. You wont find a better hostel than the Hiker Hostel either, anywhere.
    We all call EVERY hostel on the AT hiker hostels and always have bro. You KNOW this. They call themselves a country store anyways. I disagree in terms of not finding a better hostel. Hiker Hostel is 7 miles out of the way. I personally will choose Wolf Pen everytime. It's a good feeling type of place and I just spent $300 here in 4 days for a reason. You get what you pay for and I personally would recommend this one everytime. Good luck with your hostel tho man.

Journal Entries

You can call every box of tissues kleenex as well if you like, you just cant print it on the box and attempt to sell it with that on it.

Im sure the hostel is great.

And , it may no longer be the case at all. Who knows? Im sure it was just a shuttle driver impressed with how nice it was.

My only point is the Hiker Hostel is a top-notch business and bargain to boot. Nothing underhanded, and shouldnt insinuate. Just search for referralls on here. Or the 47 five star reviews on trip advisor. Lowest review....five stars.

That, and when you see hiker hostel on a sign in GA, know that that legal trademark belongs to the Hiker Hostel at Dahlonega.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 02-18-2015 at 23:36.

Journal Entries
    Images

You can call every box of tissues kleenex as well if you like, you just cant print it on the box and attempt to sell it with that on it.

Im sure the hostel is great.

And , it may no longer be the case at all. Who knows? Im sure it was just a shuttle driver impressed with how nice it was.

My only point is the Hiker Hostel is a top-notch business and bargain to boot. Nothing underhanded, and shouldnt insinuate. Just search for referralls on here. Or the 47 five star reviews on trip advisor. Lowest review....five stars.

That, and when you see hiker hostel on a sign in GA, know that that legal trademark belongs to the Hiker Hostel at Dahlonega.
    I personally AM a cut throat business man and know CUT THROAT business ethics/techniques when I see them. I am not guessing here and we both know it. However, in the end, as a consumer, I will insinuate what I need or choose to. I am sure that hostel that you speak of is GREAT. I am sure it is f'n marvelous. I just wont be spending my money there personally. That is my only point OTHER than to give credit to Wolf Pen Hostel where it is due. I understand legal trademark and I understand that the hostel you speak of for hikers got there first and trademarked it. I just think it's a long battle considering every hostel along the way is called a hiker hostel. But, I digress. Good luck with the hostel bro.

Wolf Pen is great! Stayed there last year and it was quite enjoyable.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Mack View Post
    Wolf Pen is great! Stayed there last year and it was quite enjoyable.
    Best Pizza and Wings Ive ever eaten...

Their Reuben is great too.

Ate there in 2013.Great people and pizza is fantastic. Greyghost
    Grey Ghost

I would definitely go back to eat or sleep.
    Grey Ghost

Went through Suches today. It appears that Wolfpen Gap store has closed. All the windows had paper covering them and no one was there. It is a long way to the next closest gas/grocery for the folks in Suches! May want to check ahead if you are planning to stay at the hostel this spring.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++