WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    In February and March? I totally agree.
    Convince us that you are the lone woman on earth who sleeps hot.
    2018 has been a year of knee to waist deep snow. That may have only been a day or two. However, spikes are pretty useless in deep snow.
    Someone could make a few bucks renting snowshoes.
    Your experience is much better than most folks starting the AT. Shucks, you’re ready for the CDT.
    Wayne
    Lol...it’s in our DNA for those of us who live in Northern Ontario. We’ll snowshoe and even hunt at -35C...so cold, wind, blustery weather is the norm. Where I die is humidity...any temps over 80F
    We don’t stop hiking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop hiking.
    - Finis Mitchell

https://lighterpack.com/r/6yyu2j

Quote Originally Posted by BowGal View Post
    Well, my sleep pad is R3.2. Quilt is 850 down, rated for 20F. Every video I’ve seen comparing quilt to down sleeping bag is that you’re carrying extra weight of a sleeping bag with little benefit. Plus, I don’t like being all twisted in a sleeping bag.
    Propaganda spread by the quilt industry.
    R-5 sleeping insulation.
    If you get twisted up in a sleeping bag you are in the wrong bag.
    850 Down has ZERO effect on how warm the quilt is. How many 15 F degree nights have you spent in your sleep system? Single digit nights in February and March are not uncommon. 33 F degrees and multiple days of rain and wind are equally common and far more uncomfortable than mid-teens, still and dry.
    Be dry. Be warm. Be safe.
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Kobzol View Post
    I would leave at home:
    bear hanging kit (put your food bag in your sleeping bag with you) - not a current popular choice so disregard if too extreme
    tennis ball
    footprint
    trowel
    sawyer gravity filter

I would take the nanospikes and send them home after Smokies
    I agree about the nanospikes and tennis ball.

As I’m really not wanting to stay in the shelters (miserable if I don’t sleep well due to snorers...even with ear plugs), I’m keen to try tenting as much as possible. I’ve perfected a way to setup my tent in the rain, but need the footprint to hold the cross poles in place. I then put on the outside fly (stored on outside of my pack). Now that I have coverage from rain, I can go inside and put up the tent without getting soaked.
    We don’t stop hiking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop hiking.
    - Finis Mitchell

https://lighterpack.com/r/6yyu2j

Good strategy with the footprint - I agree . Also, I suppose, cowboy camping you won't have to unpack your tent at all. Just pop open the footprint, throw your mattress and quilt on it and you're all set.

I agree about the nanospikes and tennis ball.

As I’m really not wanting to stay in the shelters (miserable if I don’t sleep well due to snorers...even with ear plugs), I’m keen to try tenting as much as possible. I’ve perfected a way to setup my tent in the rain, but need the footprint to hold the cross poles in place. I then put on the outside fly (stored on outside of my pack). Now that I have coverage from rain, I can go inside and put up the tent without getting soaked.
    Let me go

http://www.eathomas.com/2017/05/03/t...y-in-the-snow/

She has been around the block in more diverse conditions than quite a few others. She has a great system for keeping feet warm and dry when its really cold and when facing a high likelihood of slush, wetness, and snow travel.

What I would find a quite acceptable option for a mid Feb AT NOBO start using Altra Neoshells is carrying two pr of hiking socks one a wool pr of calf length height of mid to heavy wt but can be rolled down if warmer weather and the second a Seal Skinz or Hanz or something similar. Taking multiple pairs of socks taking this approach for the mid Feb start is not just about swapping out for dirty sock reasons but swapping out socks with different traits to meet different conditions. I'd argue that's not redundancy that's diversity!

Good strategy with the footprint - I agree . Also, I suppose, cowboy camping you won't have to unpack your tent at all. Just pop open the footprint, throw your mattress and quilt on it and you're all set.
    Cowboy camping might be rough on the AT, it's awfully damp in places.

Understood - although putting the groundcloth down in shelters before the sleeping pad is also a good idea (even though the OP wants to avoid shelters (and I agree) )

But soon it will get better for the AT thruhikers and cowboy camping will be a possibility in some situations

Quote Originally Posted by AllDownhillFromHere View Post
    Cowboy camping might be rough on the AT, it's awfully damp in places.
    Let me go

Understood - although putting the groundcloth down in shelters before the sleeping pad is also a good idea (even though the OP wants to avoid shelters (and I agree) )
    But soon it will get better for the AT thruhikers and cowboy camping will be a possibility in some situations
    Sorry, when is it not humid, buggy, or cold on the east coast?

SNP is often beautiful with clear skies, low humidity, and moderate temps from mid April through May, although I've never cowboy camped in the east either. Actually also the same for October through mid November in SNP.

I can talk about Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont - It is more often NOT humid than humid, it is not cold starting in late May, There are spots that don't have mosquitoe infestation; black flies don't bite at night

Let me go

Leonidas

You could look into sending the quilt back for overstuff or lighter than a liner potentially would be to buy a summer quilt to layer over the Rev in case of cold temps. Potentially even keep it once the heat sets in. The extra quilt is extra $$$ but a 50* Long/Wide EE Enigma is 11.47 oz and would give you another 20* per EE. Depending on the size of your Rev, you probably don't need a L/W.

Just food for thought.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

The Connecticut River valley at Holyoke, MA rivals New Orleans for miserable weather in July and August.
    Although climate change may have worsened the heat and humidity in western Massachusetts.
    Wayne

The Connecticut River valley at Holyoke, MA rivals New Orleans for miserable weather in July and August.
    Um .... New Orleans in July and August is epic in terms of weather misery, order of magnitude worse than DC - to be avoided at all costs, preferably by being in the High Sierra or Colorado ...

I've never been to the Connecticut River valley, however...

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    Um .... New Orleans in July and August is epic in terms of weather misery, order of magnitude worse than DC - to be avoided at all costs, preferably by being in the High Sierra or Colorado ...

I've never been to the Connecticut River valley, however...
    We lived there for 5 years. The heat and humidity was grim for about 6 weeks.
    New Orleans for 35 years followed by 10 years in Houston. Nice weather occurred on a few days most years.
    Wayne

New Orleans for 35 years followed by 10 years in Houston. Nice weather occurred on a few days most years.
    Finishing up first year in New Orleans, suffice it to say that weather is not the main attraction... lol.

Finishing up first year in New Orleans, suffice it to say that weather is not the main attraction... lol.
    My condolences. Before New Orleans I lived in Lafayette. You’ll understand why I have been going west since 1964 whenever possible.
    Wayne

Lol...it’s in our DNA for those of us who live in Northern Ontario. We’ll snowshoe and even hunt at -35C...so cold, wind, blustery weather is the norm. Where I die is humidity...any temps over 80F
    Feelin a cool breeze itinerary for you Nina.

http://appalachiantrail.org/home/exp...ng/alternative

https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/sho...lip-flop-route

https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/sho...eeze-Itinerary

https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/sho...lip-flop-route

http://www.trailjournals.com/journal/16251

My condolences. Before New Orleans I lived in Lafayette. You’ll understand why I have been going west since 1964 whenever possible.
    Wayne
    Live music makes up for part of it but I'll be on the JMT/PCT for a month in August ... the west is the best.

... the west is the best.
    Do you really want to go down that road? You already ticked off the quilt cheerleaders today.

The AT east coast WB hit men will be after ya.

So I’m ditching:
    Esbit stove 142g
    Nanospikes 224g
    2nd buff 42g

While I’d love to entertain getting a lighter tent, my Marmot 2P UL is only two years old. I love the extra room inside...don’t feel cocooned like a 1P.
    Looked seriously at a hammock system, but I got panic attacks looking at the knots, rope...I’m not good with that...especially if I have cold hands.
    Dude message me; I hammocked the whole trail last year and it was awesome.

I did not tie knots.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++