WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Ear Muffs with Headphones

I had been think about getting a pair of ear muffs (now called ear warmers) for a while because my fleece beanie just doesn't suit me. The problem I have with a beanie is that it makes my head sweat after a while so I take the beanie off then my ears get cold and then I put the beanie back on then my head sweats again and so the beanie goes off and on all day.

So, I got these 180 ear muffs with headphones. They work great, good quality insulation made with primaloft, has a button on the cord if you get a phone call if you're using a smart phone and the sound quality is very good. They go behind your head not on top and I had no problem with them reaching my ears like some of the bad reviews said.

I use them with my iphone 4s and I listen to Pandora.
    So, now you're wonderin what does Chair-man listen to on his Pandora. Well, I'll tell you.

• Robby Krieger Radio

• Los Lobos Radio

• The Radiators Radio

• Reckless Kelly Radio

• Gram Parsons Radio

• Mason Proffit Radio

• Steve Earle Radio

• Nitty Gritty Dirt Band Radio

• Pure Prairie League Radio

• Steve Goodman Radio

• Taj Mahal Radio

• NRBQ Radio

• Coco Montoya Radio

• Walter Trout Radio

• North Mississippi Allstars Radio

• Mountain Radio

• John Mayall & The Bluesbreakers Radio

• Canned Heat Radio

• My Morning Jacket Radio

• Jerry Garcia Band Radio

• Hot Tuna Radio

• The Black Crowes Radio

• Quicksilver Messenger Service Radio

• Jefferson Airplane Radio

• The Ozark Mountain Daredevils Radio

• Commander Cody And His Lost Planet Airmen Radio

• Dr. Hook Radio

• Poco Radio

• New Riders Of The Purple Sage Radio

• Phil Ochs Radio

• Steely Dan Radio

• The Kinks Radio

• Steve Miller Band Radio

• Santana Radio

• Alice Cooper Radio

• The Faces Radio

• Rod Stewart Radio

• Grand Funk Railroad Radio

• James Taylor Radio

• Lucinda Williams Radio

• Emmylou Harris Radio

• Bob Dylan Radio

• Bonnie Raitt Radio

• Melanie Radio

• J.J. Cale Radio

• Traffic Radio

• Mark Knopfler Radio

• Cat Stevens Radio

• Wishbone Ash Radio

• Lynyrd Skynyrd Radio

• The Doors Radio

• Carole King Radio

• John Hiatt Radio

• Jerry Jeff Walker Radio

• Matt Schofield Radio

• Little Feat Radio

• Stevie Ray Vaughan Radio

• Carly Simon Radio

• Harvest Moon Radio

• Joe Satriani Radio

• Jimmy D. Lane Radio

• The Marshall Tucker Band Radio

• John Prine

• Neil Young Radio

To name just a few, I'm always lookin for some lesser known artist, am I missing someone?

My daughter has Pandora but since I don't, I don't know what's available. But, if available I'd want some: Bruce Springsteen, Billy Joel, Bob Segar, Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, Guns and Roses, Hootie & the Blowfish, definitely some Buffet, maybe some Journey, Kansas, Boston, Jackson Browne, and more. I do see a good many on your list I'd want too. Sounds like a sweet setup. Just not sure I personally would want to hike and not be able to hear what's around me.
    I may never get to thru hike but I'll never get through hiking.

Journal Entries
    Images

That's a lot of radio in the cold....
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by importman77 View Post
    My daughter has Pandora but since I don't, I don't know what's available.
    Pandora is free. you can get it online (pandora.com) or get the app for your phone. You pick the bands or songs you like and it will play songs and the bands in the same genre so you'll hear tunes that may be new to you. You can skip songs and vote up or down on songs. the free version plays a 20 second ad about every half hour. You can even get Pandora for your car.

Journal Entries

I really enjoy listening to music while I'm walking, however, having said that, my like being aware of what's going on around me is more important to me above listening to music on headphones. I lived in the city for 20 years and I never could get myself to wear a walkman while walking around in the city. There's too much that could happen by not being aware of the surroundings and too many opportunists out there looking for those unawares.

Registered User Different Socks's Avatar
    Images

I am at a high of of HOH. Would these headphones be loud enough for me to hear the music?

Registered User Different Socks's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Different Socks View Post
    I am at a high of of HOH. Would these headphones be loud enough for me to hear the music?
    That was "high level of HOH".

Quote Originally Posted by Different Socks View Post
    That was "high level of HOH". Would these headphones be loud enough for me to hear the music?
    By high level of HOH I take that to mean high level of "Hard Of Hearing".

Well, the headphones themselves would not have any effect on the level of volume. It would depend more on how much volume your smart phone will put out. I can tell you this, sometimes I wear my earphones over my light weight OR Beanie which covers my ears and I can still crank up volume to hear good on my iphone.
    You wouldn't think it get too cold in Florida but right now it's 41 degrees and it's 9 am in central FL.

Images

I have a set of them too. Used hiking and skiing. They are even soft enough to listen to music whilst laying on your side. My original cord got caught on something and broke, but there's a plug on the ear piece so I replaced the cord with a headphone "extension" cord in about three seconds.
    Love love love my music on the trail... Although when dash Berlin comes on I get a little over energetic.
    I never used pandora. I have XM radio and some software that records the XM songs directly to mp3 files. Very helpful!
    Please don't read my blog at theosus1.Wordpress.com
    "I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. Thank God for Search and Rescue" - Robert Frost (first edit).

I don't have those but I bring over the ear headphones for listening to music, keeping my ears warm, and/or keeping the bugs out. I only break out the music for tough climbs and then it's nothing but hardcore metal.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

Chair-man, sounds like your diggin' your ear "warmers", but if you were interested in a second alternative to the beanie, you might consider a fleece headband. Haven't seen any with built in earbuds though.

Different Socks, Galaxy S4 have a personalized hearing adjustment, this might place output within your current range. I think I read recently that some hearing aids can communicate via bluetooth if you happen to be in that situation.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Why are ads for fleece-covered headphones suddenly appearing in my Google's AdChoices? I didn't even post in this thread before...

I'll spare you details of my musical tastes, but it strikes me that having the cord permanently attached to the earmuffs (as in the OP's suggested product) is a bad idea as it's something to mess with, get tangled up, etc when you just want to keep your ears warm and NOT listen to anything. Other product options include a bluetooth (wireless) model, but then of course you need a bluetooth broadcast device that uses more battery power thereby and the headphones themselves must be powered. IMO the most intelligent design is one that just has a plug emerge from the earmuffs, to which a male-to-male 1/8" plug type audio cord can be attached --- or quickly removed.

I personally use earbags. No band over top of head or behind neck, so no pressure that way. Quite lightweight and low volume. Erring on the "slightly to large" rather than slightly too small side, I can get modest earphones inside those without much fiddling.

Overall I listen to music/audiobooks/podcasts/etc less when it's fairly cold out. It's not just about keeping the ears warm, but being able to change volume, turn it down/or off if I need/want to talk to or listen to someone, change stations or switch artists or skip a chapter or whatever. All of this gets a little tedious when I'm wearing mittens!
    Gadget
    PCT: 2008 NOBO, AT: 2010 NOBO, CDT: 2011 SOBO, PNT: 2014+2016

Quote Originally Posted by Theosus View Post
    I have XM radio and some software that records the XM songs directly to mp3 files. Very helpful!
    I do the same thing. I use this free audio editor recorder call Audacity.

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    Chair-man, sounds like your diggin' your ear "warmers", but if you were interested in a second alternative to the beanie, you might consider a fleece headband.
    I'm just not a hat, headband or bandana person although I'm am looking for a neck warmer. Any Ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by BrianLe View Post
    it strikes me that having the cord permanently attached to the earmuffs (as in the OP's suggested product) is a bad idea as it's something to mess with, get tangled up, etc when you just want to keep your ears warm and NOT listen to anything.
    The cord will unplug from the ear piece, not easily but you can unplug it. See post #9

Neck gaiter is what I use. I think I have a turtle fur one right now. I got it out of a clearance rack. I will increase the specs on hats and gloves/mitts as it gets colder but the neck gaiter is pretty basic for me. It's soft and the fleece is decent, not windblocker or anything fancy. Just having it this biggest difference. I sleep with it on in the winter as I don't like to cinch the mummy hood all the way. I can't sleep on my back
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

++ New Posts ++