Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Plus sized lightweight women's clothing

I'm not having a lot of luck finding wicking shirts in plus sizes without going into a man's shirt. Anyone know of a good brand that has plus sizes?
    ~CynJ

"The reward of a thing well done is to have done it." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Domestic Goddess

Try Just My Size activewear...you can get poly tops at most Wal*Marts (I know, I know...corporate whore).

Good luck!

I found the following sites by doing a google search...

http://www.coolmaxclothing.com/XXLsize.html

http://www.americanbackcountry.com/w...y/wdcd_381.htm

There's a couple... I put in "wicking shirts" then searched within the results for women's.

Addicted Hiker and Donating Member Hammock Hanger's Avatar
    Images

not to change the subject but has anyone noticed the cute "whiteblaze label" in the upper left corner of this thread. ATTrol really likes this girly thing.
    Hammock Hanger -- Life is my journey and I'm surely not rushing to the "summit"...:D

http://www.gcast.com/u/hammockhanger/main

I never thought about Walmart Rollergirl - and at our house the joke is that all roads lead to Walmart lol...

Thanks dixicritter - that coolmax stuff is even reasonably priced!

lol...the logo is cool - if we could just loose the pink (or tone it down a bit-its such a stark transition from the green)
    ~CynJ

You know i've worn men's tights for years-they are just made better besides fitting. I wear men's Sketcher's trail sport sneakers cause the toe box is bigger-why should they have all the fun!

lol...I wear a lot of men's sneakers/loafers...they are wider and just more comfortable. And as a bonus none of that obnoxious glitterey crap or bizzare colors they are putting on the womens shoes these days.

I don't have much luck with men's hiking boots though - they end up going halfway up my calf - not comfortable at all.
    ~CynJ

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rambunny
    You know i've worn men's tights for years-they are just made better besides fitting. I wear men's Sketcher's trail sport sneakers cause the toe box is bigger-why should they have all the fun!
    Hey Lady, nice to see your handle popping up these days. I wasn't on the trail this summer and missed seeing familar faces!!

I have always worn mens boots or sneakers on the trail, great room for the feet to swell without getting extra length you don't need.
    Hammock Hanger -- Life is my journey and I'm surely not rushing to the "summit"...:D

OK now that i know i'm umungst friends i have a confession in 2000 on that thru hike i had CHAFING! Got to Hot Springs where some southbound hikers that noticed i was hiking like i'd rode a horse up to that point suggested some wicking boxer type undershorts that the outfitters had, when i got there Dan said sorry Bunny only men's small left-i took them-the next day i went back to show him i'd found a use for that pocket in front as a joke i was carrying my camera in it. To this day i wish i knew how to get a pair without the pocket.I've also used the spandex girdle type thigh long legs,few seams that has worked well.Anyone else with a funny clothing storie?

owwww....chafing is no joke.

I generally don't have a problem with chafing on my thighs. I wear <gasp> lightweight cotton capris pants and cotton underwear. My longest day hike to date is 6.5miles - no irritation.

Now under my breasts where my bra rubs is a WHOLE other story. That gets miserable. And I am so big busted that I have to wear somethat that really supports (ie a minimizer bra with padded shoulder straps) so a sports type bra is out. When I sweat it starts breaking out and it gets really irritated. If I use a stick type type antiperspirant/deodorant the irritation is much much less.
    ~CynJ

Images

Rambunny: In 2000 I cut the crotch out of a pair of men's wicking boxer shorts, hemmed and made a skirt out of them. I turned the front seam to the side and use the "fly as a pocket. Great minds think alike...

Can't give CynJ any suggestions. I'm small busted and never get the boob rash. I never wore a bra on the trail but after seeing my 2004 picture with the Ferryman... well let's say I went and found a sports bra and will wear it. (I asked my partner a male why he did't tell me I was flashing. He said why would I!!! )

Images

Quote Originally Posted by CynJ
    owwww....chafing is no joke.

If I use a stick type type antiperspirant/deodorant the irritation is much much less.
    BTW: Monistat has a chaffing cream out now that is as soft as silk and works pretty good. I try to always have a little in my pack "just in case."

Question help

Great topic! Maybe some of you can help me. I need some direction obtaining clothes for a thru hike. I'm just not sure what to wear. I am also plus sized so it seems like there are less options. I had thought bike shorts with nylon shorts over them for the summer. (bike shorts to cut down on chafing and the nylon ones over them because no one wants to see me in just bike shorts !!!) and then of course a wicking tshirt or tank top. I'm really stumped on clothes for the cooler months though. HELP!!
    :p April

Planning for GA <> ME Thruhike April 2006!!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by april2006
    Great topic! Maybe some of you can help me. I need some direction obtaining clothes for a thru hike. I'm just not sure what to wear. I am also plus sized so it seems like there are less options. I had thought bike shorts with nylon shorts over them for the summer. (bike shorts to cut down on chafing and the nylon ones over them because no one wants to see me in just bike shorts !!!) and then of course a wicking tshirt or tank top. I'm really stumped on clothes for the cooler months though. HELP!!
    I didn't like the bike shorts but many say it has worked for them. They have the bike skorts now. (skirt w/bike shorts underneath.) Try online at a bike shop.

In colder weather you are gonna want a polypro (long john type) shirt, men's work out well for us larger women, as well as long johns. I find that Sierra Outlet has great prices on these items. If it is really cold I also carry a pair of lightwt fleece pants and jacket. I do not personally carry a heavy fleece or a parka. If it gets really cold I layer, ie: t-shirt, long john shirt, ltwt fleece, raincoat. When you are hiking you will be warmer and won't need all of the layers but sometimes between dinner and sleep it can get cold. Of course at that point I just climb into the sleeping bag.

Both the fleece and the polys are nice because they will keep you warm even when wet.

Always, always sleep with a hat, one that is snug enough not to slip off in the night. Alot of body heat escapes through the head. It can make the difference between a comfortable night and a miserable night. Again, fleece is a good choice. Small, squishy and warm when wet. I always keep one set of socks that are ONLY for SLEEPING. I f I am in headed into town I may use them that day but not generally.

Men's wicking boxers are nice for under rain pants if you plan to wear those. Always check out the men's section of any shop or catalog, they have great stuff. Who cares if the bottoms have a hole!!

Sue

Default Thanks!

Thanks HH. Shorts and a skirt? I have heard some folks talk about this kind of combination. Is it really more comfortable? Long skirt, short skirt, wrap, full??? I'm very...um...shall we say, hippy, so I usually don't wear anything that is fitted around the hips. Plus I figure after a few months on the trail, I'll will lose some weight and therefore need something adjustable. I was going to buy the biker shorts and then my mom was gonna make the nylon ones with an elastic waist and just leave a slit in the casing so I could pull out the elastic and tighten it. I figured I'd just replace the biker shorts. any thoughts?
    :p April

Planning for GA <> ME Thruhike April 2006!!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by april2006
    Thanks HH. Shorts and a skirt? I have heard some folks talk about this kind of combination. Is it really more comfortable? Long skirt, short skirt, wrap, full??? I'm very...um...shall we say, hippy, so I usually don't wear anything that is fitted around the hips. Plus I figure after a few months on the trail, I'll will lose some weight and therefore need something adjustable. I was going to buy the biker shorts and then my mom was gonna make the nylon ones with an elastic waist and just leave a slit in the casing so I could pull out the elastic and tighten it. I figured I'd just replace the biker shorts. any thoughts?
    I just thought that the skirt over the biker shorts would be less bulky. I personally wear a skirt and go al natural underneath. Makes going to the bathroom very easy. Not to mention the thrill I get when I sit up on a summit, .

You will lose inches when on the trail so it is great to have plans to bring the waist in. Other wise you will be buying new clothes. Not necessairly the tops but anything around the waist. I went down 4-5 sizes in the waist.

Nice that mom sews. I made a number of my hiking skirts until I found 2 on clearance for $5. at Wally World. They are made out of the board short material and dry in minutes. Which is great when in the weather, swimming or just sweating like a pig. Sue

I love my cotton or seersucker capri pants....they dry quickly in the rain and keep away the branches/bugs without being hot. I wear them all spring/summer/fall.

that hat tip is important HH - folks don't realize how much heat they lose from their heads -or their feet for that matter.

and just remember that women's knee-high stockings make great sock liners to prevent blisters
    ~CynJ

Domestic Goddess

A great way to get support for hiking AND avoid that bra rash: bathing suit tops! I wore a tankini top for a lot of my hike. SUUPPPPER comfortable, wicking fabrics, and great for just popping into swimming holes as they appear!

Lane Bryant carries a wonderful line as does Land's End!

Good luck!
    Love,
    Rollergirl

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

Wonderful info in this thread for us larger ladies.

I have ample breast and gravity has not been kind..... I wear a microfiber sports bra made by Bestform for hiking. It has a back closure (I'm too old to try to struggle into the pull-on type) and keeps the girls in place. The lower band is wide, breathes well and does not roll so I haven't had any chafing problems with it..

I recently found a Bestform bra at Wal-Mart among the sports bras -- it is made like a regular underwire bra, but is made completely of polyester! It has been remarkable comfortable for walks / hikes under 7 miles, but I haven't done a long hike in it.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I'm glad you brought this up - the sports bra line. I am looking for one that is very light and dries quickly, the ones I have (like Ativa, etc) dry way too slowly and I HATE putting on something damp and cold the next morning after a day perspiring - ugh! Looks like Patagonia puts out a good line - anyone vouch for it?

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++