WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

:banana Move Over Trangia The ZENGIA Arrives

Hee Hee!!!!!
    The Zengia Stove System is here.
    I gathered some parts and thoughts. A poor mans Trangia has arrived. It's a DIY Trangia hybrid.
    It's made from a can of Magic Heat. The original wimpy wick was replaced with an appropriate mega-wick.
    It has a threaded fuel filling hole that accepts a 1/4-20 thumb screw for closing.
    It's burning the Magic Heat fuel(available in gallons)
    It boiled 2 cups of 55 degree water in 10 1/2 min.
    The fuel requires a wick to burn. It will not ignite by itself. The fill cap can be left off the burner, no chance of it exploding. This fuel is amazingly safe. It's used in the restaurant/catering industry for warming food.
    I've only made one test burn to check boil time. No other information available.
    Cap screws on for fuel retention/storage just like the Trangia.
    As the wick gets used, there may be better test results. When I think it's worthy for DIY's, I'll give directions on how to do it yourself. You can start now if you want, the idea is here for you to run with.
    I have an idea to eliminate the fuel fill hole by putting an aluminum tube down the center and use that as the fuel entry point. When I can get a round toit.

I'll post as more tests are made.

[IMG]
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/obijiwa/sub%20one/th_stnax074.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by zelph; 10-25-2007 at 12:58.

Zelph, you rule man.

Images

I like it. I like it a lot.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Zelph
    I have an idea to eliminate the fuel fill hole by putting an aluminum tube down the center and use that as the fuel entry point. When I can get a round toit.
    Zelph,

See how I made the wick retainer for this stove? Sort of like a ROF.

I bet it would work for the Zengia-and lighten the stove even more.

Seems to eliminate the unnerving whoosh! that accompanies hollow middle wicks as well.
    Last edited by Skidsteer; 10-25-2007 at 17:13.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Skidsteer View Post
    Zelph,

See how I made the wick retainer for this stove? Sort of like a ROF.

I bet it would work for the Zengia-and lighten the stove even more.

Seems to eliminate the unnerving whoosh! that accompanies hollow middle wicks as well.
    Yes, that would work just fine and for sure would lighten the load.
    The way I made this one is kinda stove maker friendly. I stuffed wick into a thin walled aluminum tube. The base of the tube is notched to allow fuel to be absorbed into the wick. The tube is almost flush with the mouth of the can. The wick extends above the rim 1/8". It compresses a bit when the lid is put on and rises as the lid is taken off.
    I did 4 test boils today. Average fuel consumption is 17ml. A tad over 1/2 ounce.
    Time to boil 2 cups averaged 12 min.
    After the tests were made I used the flameometer to test if I had been using the right burner to pot distance. (everybody laugh in unison, yeah right zelph, dufus, you're supose to do that first :roll: ) The distance was not correct I suspect. (this is new technology )

Need more tests

Interesting design.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Zengia modified

I think they sell round toit's on eBay. They are less expensive than the wheneyeget toit's but more pricey than the you doit's.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mkmangold View Post
    I think they sell round toit's on eBay. They are less expensive than the wheneyeget toit's but more pricey than the you doit's.
    The nerve of them!!! More letters, more money, Hmmpfh

somewhere in this forum I saw a rockstar energy drink can turned into something similar, wait, no it was an oil lamp or something. I was wondering if anyone tried to make something like this out of one of the 'bottles' that rockstar or jolt has occasionally been using, they look kinda like a battery.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by spchtr View Post
    somewhere in this forum I saw a rockstar energy drink can turned into something similar, wait, no it was an oil lamp or something. I was wondering if anyone tried to make something like this out of one of the 'bottles' that rockstar or jolt has occasionally been using, they look kinda like a battery.
    Both, actually.

Rockstar energy drink stove. Description for using the Rockstar can starts at post # 20. In post # 10, Zelph describes one of his earlier builds as well.

Oil lamp.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...lamp+olive+oil

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...tar#post227106
    Skids

I'm a little curious, the post said the stove made this way was way to slow. I was wondering what does the inside of the Trangia stove look like. I don't mean pull one appart, but like down in the central chamber thing. Are there weep holes in it? How do you go about filling it up, etc.

Images

I'm a little curious, the post said the stove made this way was way to slow. I was wondering what does the inside of the Trangia stove look like. I don't mean pull one appart, but like down in the central chamber thing. Are there weep holes in it?
    Yes, there are.

How do you go about filling it up, etc.
    The centerhole in a Trangia is pretty large so you just pour the fuel in.
    Skids

Is the mouth of the rockstar can big enough to place a small energy drink container down into it? Does the central chamber of the trangia's go all the way to the bottom? And about how high up the inner chamber walls are the weep holes? Presumably the jet holes at the top of the burner allow air to escape while it is being filled.

Please forgive my ignorance of the details of the trangia design, the local outfitter does not supply them here.

Images

Is the mouth of the rockstar can big enough to place a small energy drink container down into it?
    No, it's just over an inch in diameter IIRC.

Does the central chamber of the trangia's go all the way to the bottom?
    Yes.

And about how high up the inner chamber walls are the weep holes? Presumably the jet holes at the top of the burner allow air to escape while it is being filled.

All the way at the bottom. They're not so much holes as small, intentional gaps.

Please forgive my ignorance of the details of the trangia design, the local outfitter does not supply them here.
    No problem. You may find this thread at bplite.com helpful as well.
    Skids

I believe in that thread when wickatizing the trangia it was indeed insulating the priming flame from the side walls of the inner cup. It did so by moving the flame's surface (where the reaction with oxygen occurs and the heat comes from) away from the wall, increasing the bloom time. I was wondering if wickatizing it from the inside (up inside the threaded portion as well as down to the weep gaps at the bottom) would keep the same bloom time as well as improve it's fuel efficiency or if it would simply cause it to go through fuel faster.

My primary concern for efficiency is for fuel conservation rather than boil time. When I'm cooking I'm not usually in a big hurry so it's not usually an issue. In all likely hood with this philosophy I would probably be happiest with some kind of pot cozy to steep noodles/soups rather than actually cooking them, though eggs are a particular favorite of mine as well.

Having a simmering lid for it will add some weight, though a very small amount compared to the overall weight of the stove and fuel. I've also been looking at wood stoves as a possibility. Wood in my area is plentiful and the rangers in my area actually approve of helping keep the trails clear of deadfall.

Something similar from Magic Heat folks:

http://www.scientificutility.com/prod_heat.htm

Images

My primary concern for efficiency is for fuel conservation rather than boil time. When I'm cooking I'm not usually in a big hurry so it's not usually an issue.
    If that's really your philosophy, then you're a good candidate for an Ion or a Turbo Tea-Lite, etc.

In all likely hood with this philosophy I would probably be happiest with some kind of pot cozy to steep noodles/soups rather than actually cooking them...
    Yep. Absolutely.
    Skids

absolootly zelphulisticaly zelphulistic! ill take 500!
    matthewski

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mweinstone View Post
    absolootly zelphulisticaly zelphulistic! ill take 500!
    Did Johnny Thunder tell you I added a grommet to the "StarLyte"? will be part of production models.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Cheat View Post
    Something similar from Magic Heat folks:

http://www.scientificutility.com/prod_heat.htm
    Hi Cheat, thanks for the link to the Magic Heat site.

This is a quote from my original post of this thread. I stated that I used a can of magic heat for this project. I replaced their original wick with a larger one.

Hee Hee!!!!!
    The Zengia Stove System is here.
    I gathered some parts and thoughts. A poor mans Trangia has arrived. It's a DIY Trangia hybrid.
    It's made from a can of Magic Heat. The original wimpy wick was replaced with an appropriate mega-wick.

++ New Posts ++