WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Another new water filtering option

The new Platypus CleanStream gravity filter (profiled in Backpacker's Gearguide) flows at a pretty fast pace and is relatively light. MSR makes one that's similar called the AutoFlow (they're sister companies). I like this even more than MSR's new HyperFlow filter. Same technology with a 0.2 micron pore size and easily cleaned by backwashing. The review toward the middle of this page provides a good overview. I'm going to put the filter element (4.23 oz) between two 2.4L Platypus bladders (2.4 oz) I already have for a treatment solution that weighs less than 8 oz. (with no pumping).

Gravity is the way to go. I rigged up the same thing with two 70oz platys, a camelback tube, and a seychelle inline filter. I used green paracord on the "clean" platy, and red paracord on the "dirty" one for hanging cords. I used a hole punch in the bottom flanges to run the cords.

Images

That is a true piece of work. It does me no good to see that. I love gear...all gear. Thanks for sharing, although my wallet might not like it.
    HAPPY TRAILS TO ALL AND TO ALL A GOOD HIKE!

Images

I've been watching these, too. I think I'll end up going with the Autoflow. I just need one bag.

I like the way this looks as well, but it seems that the Sweetwater ( on their comparison charts) handles Chemicals/Toxins (taste, odors) whereas this one does not.

So with this one, do you fill and keep hiking as it filters, or wait for it to filter?
    ad astra per aspera

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Smile View Post
    I like the way this looks as well, but it seems that the Sweetwater ( on their comparison charts) handles Chemicals/Toxins (taste, odors) whereas this one does not.

So with this one, do you fill and keep hiking as it filters, or wait for it to filter?
    The Sweetwater is a fine setup which uses a bleach solution to kill viruses in addition to the filter. You could use a chlorine dioxide like AquaMira or Katadyn MicroPur to accomplish that step. I don't know what provides the Chemical/Toxins removal (carbon core?). I suppose you could rig the gravity system to filter while you hike. Personally, I could spare the 5 minutes it would take to load up and move on.
    Last edited by gearfreak; 02-01-2008 at 10:15. Reason: Correction

Default MSR/Platy

It appears that both the MSR and Platy filters are manufactured by Cascade designs.They are just colord differently for the companies. I like the look and the reports of the performace alot, but the price is reported to be around the 65-80 buck range. I am either going to make my own or see about the ULA system. Thanks FREAK for your post on the other thread.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by kytrailman View Post
    I am either going to make my own or see about the ULA system. Thanks FREAK for your post on the other thread.
    I've got the ULA system. It uses the Katadyn Hiker Pro filter element which I also have. I had just replaced the element in my Hiker so I figured I could transfer it to the ULA. The ULA comes with a new element which run about 30 bucks new. That means the ULA filter hardware costs very little. Can also be used as a shower etc.
    nous défions

It's gonna be ok.

Ditch Medicine: wash your hands and keep your booger-pickers off your face!

Thanks for all of the insight everyone. I am going with the ULA.

Images

It seems you could just order the filter portion and attach that to the camel back/platy drink tube, then suck it through or allow it to drip into cooking pots?

The only down fall I can think of is that you need a pretty deep spring to fill them in. The normal hiker pro style filter (pump) you can dig a small depression a nd pump water from that. This would be the only thing holding me back from buyn one.
    Last edited by wrongway_08; 02-02-2008 at 16:09.

Images

Default sawyer

has anybody tried this one. http://www.sawyerproducts.com/SP120.htm can be used inline or gravity

On my 3 day hike late last summer, I would have had trouble finding a spot deep enough to fill the unfiltered bag. I have had many water spots in the past where I had to dig out a spot to pump out of. I think this may be best for the campsite where you know before going that there is a river or stream you will be near. At one site last summer, I had to shoo away small crawfish to get the intake hose and prefilter into the water.

Default sawyer

Kayak--Skidsteer told me to check out the sawyer also. It has an impressive flow rate and is about the same price as the others. Aqua Mira is a good solution to when water cant be obtained from a good source. I hat to pump filters( any filter), gravity is for me.

The ULA Amigo is fantastic. I used it for my first couple hundred miles on the AT last year, until I decided to stop treating altogether. If I were going to filter, this is the only way I'd go. Be careful of silty water though, the filter will clog fast.

I too am in the market for a filtration system. I am leaving from GA in late march. I'm considering the ULA because of weight and price. Seems from the design it may be somewhat confusing to work...at least at first? Any difficulties with it? Any suggestions??

++ New Posts ++