WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Default Pennsylvania water sources 2009

It's getting to be that time of year when MEGAs will soon be arriving in Pennsylvania and of course there are those do who enjoy summer through hiking. Pennsylvania through hikers have been blessed with an abundance of water this year, but since conditions change and Kittatinny Ridge is likely to become drier in late summer and early fall, I thought I'd solicit information about current conditions and reiterate the importance of information gathering and planning.

Until we accumulate current information, I suggest referring to Water Conditions on the trail in Pa. (2008) for general advice.

Images

Default Berks County's natural water sources

To get some idea whether AT hikers can depend upon natural water sources in Berks County, refer to Middle Atlantic River Forecast Center's 30-day and 7-day precipitaton maps, NWS data collected at Reading Regional Airport/Carl A. Spaatz Field in Bern Township and NWS's 7-day forecast for Port Clinton.

When used with Guide to the Appalachian Trail in Pennsylvania, these links provide a good indication what can be expected. Normal conditions are specified in KTA's guide and known to more-experienced local hikers.

Visit the links to see how much precipitation compared to the norm has been recorded for the last 30 days, the last 7 days, within the last 24 hours and what's forecast. If MARFC's maps are showing red, there's been no rain in the last 24 hours and none is forecast, be prepared for dry conditions. Please be advised, even when conditions are normal (green) during the summer, ridgetop springs may be unreliable.

BMECC's shelter caretakers at PA 501 and Eckville, Ye Olde Backpacker at Port Clinton, hikers travelling in the opposite direction and shelter registers may be helpful in confirming current status of natural water sources or alternates.

Gold Spring, just passed the Pinnacle was flowing nicely on 7/26.

question for emerald (SOG): is it legal to take water from the Hamburg reservoir?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by saimyoji View Post
    emerald (SOG): is it legal to take water from the Hamburg reservoir?
    Sorry, SOG now only hikes other trails and no longer posts to WhiteBlaze. I don't dare mention WhiteBlaze without risk of being shunned.

Of course the official response to your question can only be provided by Borough of Hamburg. So long as hikers aren't swimming in their water supply, I believe they don't mind if hikers help themselves to a drink on the house or take out up to the equivalent of two 6-packs for personal consumption and/or by others under their direct supervision.

I suggest reading and respecting posted signage to avoid undesired consequences.

Storyteller
    Images

Darlington spring dry on 7/25. There's a sign warning of this at the last water source each direction. Best to fill up at those two small streams.

Quote Originally Posted by emerald View Post
    It's getting to be that time of year when GAMErs will soon be arriving in Pennsylvania and of course there are those who enjoy summer through hiking. Pennsylvania through hikers have been blessed with an abundance of water this year, but as conditions do change and Kittatinny Ridge ordinarily presents challenges in late summer and early fall, I thought I'd solicit information about current conditions and reiterate the importance of information gathering and planning.

Until we accumulate current information, I suggest referring to Water Conditions on the trail in Pa. (2008) for general advice.
    dude. PA ain't the Sahara desert. you cross at least 3 roads a day maybe more. out of water? hitch left or right and find a store, house or bar and get some water. no friggin biggie

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    PA ain't the Sahara desert. you cross at least 3 roads a day maybe more. out of water? hitch left or right and find a store, house or bar and get some water.
    Never claimed Pennsylvania is The Sahara of the Appalachian Trail. Hikers request information and we provide it.

There's no need for water caches or hitching from trailheads to obtain drinking water. Hitching to fetch water is for hikers who can't be bothered to plan ahead, have nowhere to go and all day to get there.

Images

I was out last weekend between Swatara Gap and Pa. Rt. 325. Please note that any water that is contaminated by the numerous old coal mining operations in this area will look ORANGE and should not be consumed. However, as of last weekend, good water was flowing nicely at Rausch Gap shelter, the small stream in the rhododendron grove betwen Stony and Sharp Mtns., and a small spring alongside of the trail mid-way between the top of Stony Mtn. and the "old coal mine" that's listed on the maps.

...and say "hello" to the resident porcupine on top of Stony Mtn.!!!
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass - it's about learning how to dance in the rain!

Quote Originally Posted by emerald View Post
    Never claimed Pennsylvania was The Sahara. Hikers request such information and we provide it.

There's no need for water caches or hitching from trailheads to obtain drinking water. Hitching to fetch water is for hikers who can't be bothered to plan ahead, have nowhere to go and all day to get there.

yep..plenty of on trail water for the MAP CARRYING HIKER. if you don't carry your official updated KTA map or equivalent, don't expect me to help you. spend a dollar, have a good time; save a dollar, suffer...********.

Images

Thumbs up siamyoji

Keep it up, I'll stop posting and just read yours!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by shelterbuilder View Post
    Say "hello" to the resident porcupine on top of Stony Mtn.!!!
    AT hikers can expect to see more porkies soon. I hear PGC's planning a trap-and-transfer program.

Seems black bears, timber rattlesnakes and copperheads aren't enough to encourage some hikers to respect PGC's regulation concerning leashes.

the only place i've seen sign of more porky activity was around DWG, specifically the dunnfield creek trail, uphill from the trail, about 10-15 trees scratched out by porkys.

thanks for the warning....never seen a rattler impaled on porky spikes....

Images

never seen a rattler impaled on porky spikes....
    That's because they both know better.

Storyteller
    Images

yep..plenty of on trail water for the MAP CARRYING HIKER. if you don't carry your official updated KTA map or equivalent, don't expect me to help you. spend a dollar, have a good time; save a dollar, suffer...********.
    For what it is worth, the water source at the base of Cove Mountain does not show up in the ALDHA's companion. It is on the map. Filling up there makes more sense than hiking an extra half mile to reach the spring at Cove Shelter, regardless which direction you are headed.

As for LW's suggestion, there is no road crossing between 890 and Duncannon. But if you fill up on either side of Darlington, you should be fine.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    dude. PA ain't the Sahara desert. you cross at least 3 roads a day maybe more. out of water? hitch left or right and find a store, house or bar and get some water. no friggin biggie

I prefer to get my water w/o riding in a car or going to a store, house, or bar...

I might actually be able to do this if I find accurate info in this thread and I'm able to sort out BS posts about PA Water Sources written by someone in VA.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkstar214 View Post
    I prefer to get my water w/o riding in a car or going to a store, house, or bar...

I might actually be able to do this if I find accurate info in this thread and I'm able to sort out BS posts about PA Water Sources written by someone in VA.
    sure kid. whatever you say

Images

The springs at both Peters Mtn Shelter & Clarks Ferry Shelter were flowing well yesterday.

NOBOs report that 1st spring below Cove Mtn Shelter was dry yesterday but that there is a spring 20-30 yards further down the hill past the dry spring which is flowing. Also stated Darlington still dry.

Images

We're in Palmerton and finishing up PA shortly (If we ever get out of here). Water hasn't been an issue although there have been a few miles when we were dry. The springs are often down a ways.
    I'd tell anyone hiking either direction to stop at PA 309 and fill up at the restaurant...especially if going north.
    "Going to the woods is going home" - John Muir

"Only by going alone in silence, without baggage, can one truely get into the heart of the wilderness" - John Muir

The spigot at Kirkridge is as reliable as ever.

We'll be getting rain up this way, on and off, for the next few days so hopefully the springs will be flowing nicely.

I plan, therefore I am Strategic's Avatar
    Images

I was up at Leroy Smith and Kirkridge shelters two weeks ago (7/10 and 7/11 respectively) and both are still well supplied. The #2 and #3 springs at Leroy Smith were running very well, at least 8 liters a minute by my estimate. With the rain we've had it seems likely that both are still in the same shape. The tap at Kirkridge is still on (of course) and having no troubles.

I did get a few other reports from thru-hikers while I was out, but these I haven't observed: everyone told me that Delp's spring is dry, either by report or by going down themselves. Stempa's spring is, by all reports, still running fine, though only a few thru-hikers said they actually went down to it. One told me that he had seen Metallica spring flowing fairly well, but none of the others had been down to it. All said that Outerbridge shelter's spring was slow but still flowing. Since it's a pretty small spring anyway, that's probably about right.

That's as far as observation and rumor took me for that trip. I should be out again soon (both day and section hiking) so I'll report back with whatever I find.
    Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.
    Sun Tzu, The Art of War.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++