WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Please help me reduce my Pack weight!

Hello. I'm planning on doing a thru hike at end of march or start of april going north. My pack weighs 25 lbs without food or water. I'm looking for ways to reduce the weight. Here is a list of what I have in my pack. Any and all comments are welcome! Thanks!

Big 4 + 1
    Bag: REI Flash 65 - 50
    Tent: MSR Hubba - 44
    Sleeping Bag: Eureka Casper 15degree - 49
    Sleeping Pad: Big Angus in. aircore - 25
    Sleep Bag Liner: Sea2Summit thermolite - 9

Kitchen
    Stove: Coleman 3001 canister stove - 6.7 (might trade this for an alchy)
    Pot: GSI 18 flu oz - 5.2
    Water Filter: Katadyn pro filter - 11
    Fishing Kit: couple hooks and spool of line
    Fire Kit: couple bic lighters, 1 fire steel, 2 small boxes of matches (1 water proof the other strike anywhere)

Need to buy: Spork

Toiletries
    Toilet paper
    Moist Wipes x 3 ( two for cleaning messes and 1 for bathroom)
    Travel sized toothbrush and paste
    Travel sized shampoo and bar of soap
    First Aid kit: 5+ bandaides, small neosporin tube, cortizone and benadryl for poison ivy(i get it bad), water pur tabs, tweezers, aquamira straw filter 1 oz
    Small tube of sunblock
    Small bottle of hand sanitizer
    Small finger nail clippers

Tools
    Knife: Sog trident pocket knife 3.6
    Multitool: Tiny one goes for 5 bucks at cabelas
    Personal defense: around 30 oz ( will not budge here)
    50 feet of Paracord for whatever I might need it for (hanging food from a tree)

Clothes
    Base Layer

1. Rocky comression top and bottom(keeps me dry)
    2. 2x lightweight wool socks
    3. 3 pairs underwear
    4. rei liner gloves
    5. beanie facemask for if it gets cold
    6. neck gaiter

Mid Layer

1. Rocky midweight thermal top
    2. Convertible pants
    3. Lightweight breathable longsleeve shirt

Outer Layer

1. Rain Pants ( still need to purchase)
    2. Rain jacket ( still need to purchase)
    3. Water proof gloves? ( still need to purchase)

Sleeping clothes

1. REI Heavyweight long underwear top (feels more like midweights in warmth)
    2. REI Heavyweight long underwear bottoms (feels more like midweights in warmth)
    3. REI Heavyweight wool socks

Footwear
    Bates boots 51 oz (will be wearing these till they fall apart)
    NB All terrains in my pack - 11.8

Misc
    Cell Phone - 5.3 ( with usb charging cable)
    Energizer headlamp
    Surefire flashlight
    Brunton Battery Pack - 5.5 oz ( Wanting to buy this to keep my cell phone charged)

All this basicly fills my bag (4000 cu inches) full with little room to add food or water. I put everything in my bag and weighed it on a bathroom scale so its roughly 25 lbs worth. I like the idea of traveling really light and with very little but I'm having a hard time doing it.

Thanks!

You've got some room for improvement if you're willing/ able to spend the money.

You can drop about 2 lbs quickly by swapping out your hubba for a tarptent, or even more weight if you plan to use shelters and bring a tarp for emergencys.

There are lighter sleeping bag options, but again, I don't know about your money situation.

Footwear is a personal preference, but I would consider lighter boots or even using trail runners. Just make sure you are comfortable with whatever you go with. Its not worth going lighter if you're not enjoying it. That goes for all your gear.
    ~Happiness is only real when shared~

Ideas without buying more things:

1) Consider leaving behind the sleeping bag liner. Looks like you’ll have plenty of clean clothes to sleep in. If your bag is good to 15-20 degrees, you may not need the extra warmth of the liner.
    2) Swap out the stove for the alchy stove as you mentioned.
    3) Can you leave the shampoo behind and just use your bar of soap?
    4) Consider leaving behind the multitool.
    5) Two pairs (or even one pair) of underwear should be sufficient.
    6) Swap out the NB camp shoes for imitation crocs. (OK, this one does require a purchase, but it’s minimal if you get the fake crocs. Or you may decide you don't want camp shoes if you do more hiking and less camping.)
    7) Just have one flashlight/headlamp. Leave the flashlight behind.
    8) Would you be willing to leave your boots behind and hike in your NBs instead? You know they say a pound on your feet is like 5 pounds in your pack.

Quote Originally Posted by Lumpy89 View Post
    Hello. I'm planning on doing a thru hike at end of march or start of april going north. My pack weighs 25 lbs without food or water. I'm looking for ways to reduce the weight. Here is a list of what I have in my pack. Any and all comments are welcome! Thanks!

Big 4 + 1

Kitchen
    Fire Kit: couple bic lighters, 1 fire steel, 2 small boxes of matches (1 water proof the other strike anywhere)

Toiletries
    Toilet paper
    First Aid kit: 5+ bandaides, small neosporin tube, cortizone and benadryl for poison ivy(i get it bad), water pur tabs, tweezers, aquamira straw filter 1 oz
    Small tube of sunblock

Tools

Clothes
    Base Layer

3. 3 pairs underwear
    4. rei liner gloves
    6. neck gaiter

Mid Layer

2. Convertible pants

Outer Layer

Sleeping clothes

2. REI Heavyweight long underwear bottoms (feels more like midweights in warmth)

Footwear

Misc
    Energizer headlamp
    Surefire flashlight
    Brunton Battery Pack - 5.5 oz ( Wanting to buy this to keep my cell phone charged)

All this basicly fills my bag (4000 cu inches) full with little room to add food or water. I put everything in my bag and weighed it on a bathroom scale so its roughly 25 lbs worth. I like the idea of traveling really light and with very little but I'm having a hard time doing it.

Thanks!
    Lumpy, My thoughts are keep what you have, except the few things you need to buy before leaving. After hiking from Springer Mt. to Neel Gap, you will have a little knowledge as to what you need. The people at Neel Gap, will sort thru gear, and tell you what you really need, and send home what you do not. If you want to go lighter, they carry lightweigt gear, and for some cash will lighten you up. Your MSR Hubba is fine, keep it.
    Singletrack

Teddy Bear in a hammock HikerRanky's Avatar
    Images

1) Go with a lighter tent if you can...

2) Instead of rain jacket and pants, get a SMD Gatewood Cape... 11oz and it covers your pack and most of you... It can also serve as an emergency shelter. Also, don't worry about waterproof gloves... When it decides to rain for 5 days, even they get soaked. Small pack towel in a plastic bag helps a lot.

3)Combine the beanie facemask and the neck gaiter... Get a merino wool silk buff that can be a hat, neck gaiter and a balaclava.

4) Personally, I would forget the filter and use AquaMira and a bandana.

5) Leave the SureFire flashlight behind... You'll kick yourself when you lose it somewhere on the trail for the price of it.

Hope this helps....

Randy

Images

You can knock off a few ounce by trim'n stuff up - the extra tube and that stupid weight at the end of the hiker pro.

- Get a ti stove, save about 3.5 - 4 ounces there.

- Forget extra flashlight. If your headlamp has L.E.D.s, just bring that and spare set of aaa's.

Forget shampoo and soap - just get the green biodegradable bottle from Wal-mart (small size). Does everything - shampoo/soap/dish cleaner/dog cleaner ... does it all. compact and smells decent.

forget cell phone battery pack. Shorten you charger wires to save space and a little weight. You will have no problem gettn to town for charging. If anything, buy an extra phone battery, keep it charged. Less weight, more compact and cheaper.

Multi tool, forget it. Save weight and space. I never needed one and don't know anyone who used theres. Just put that moey towardss a lighter, sharper knife.

Forget hand sanitizer - you have soap and wipes (wipes I personally wouldn't bring them) you have soap and small towel, kinda over kill in my opinion.
    Last edited by wrongway_08; 02-15-2011 at 17:57.

All this basicly fills my bag (4000 cu inches) full with little room to add food or water.
    Just to state the obvious that what you need then is some more capacity - a pack with no room for food is not much good for hiking with. So you may need to de-bulk if you can (or buy a bigger pack).

Journal Entries
    Images

Lumpy89 I am going to reduce by looking objectively...I had someone do it to mine and I also helped someone else. These are a recommendation..it's up to you...
    Drop this from your pack list
    1.multi tool
    2.shampoo and bar soap. Get a bottle of dr bonners does both.
    3. flashlight Surefire is to heavy I have one and know it.
    4. Change out stove. You can make or buy a 1oz alco
    5. 2 pairs underware you only need one.
    6. bag liner for sleeping bag
    7. Neck Gaiter
    8. This is a question Do you really need the heavy weight long johns if you have a Base layer already?
    9. water Filter you could swith for AquiaMira drops Save some weight.
    10. Save the money on the battery pack from what I hear. Not worth it.
    11. The water proof gloves I wouldn't worry about. thats just my opinion tho.
    12. Ditch the firesteel and match's carry the bic and buy a second when you hit a town or borrow one when you run out.Until you can replenish.
    If you go with the aquamira drops you dont need the straw or filter or Tabs..
    But this is all up to you . Hope it helps you...Add one extra pair of sock liners can never have enough to wick the water away..
    My love for life is quit simple .i get uo in the moring and then i go to bed at night. What I do inbween is to occupy my time. Cary Grant

I may have missed it, but I don't see any warm outer layer, like a vest or jacket? What about something windproof as well?

As far as your raingear, check into a Packa -doubles as a packcover, easily accessable on the trail. My experience is that it's easily manipulated for breatability too, so you're not soaking in your own sweat. Just a thought

Definitely switch to the alky stove, and drop the filter (go with the AquaMira drops).

You mention paracord for hanging, but I didn't see mention of a food bag (or water vessels for that matter).

You mention fitting everything into your pack - the tent stays on the outside (once it's wet, you won't want it inside). Things like your crocs can attach outside as well.

Singletrack is right - Winton will get you fixed up for a price, but you still have some time to do some homework and make decisions before your standing in front of the cash register.

tf
    www.postholer.com/Turtle Feet
    Follow me as I crawl the A.T.
    Life is an adventure or nothing at all ~ Hellen Keller

I know some people like to tally the weight 'skin out' but personally, I just go by whats on my back.

One thing I don't see is a warm layer, such as a jacket or vest.

The REI heavyweight top and bottom is likely fairly bulky and taking up too much room. I'd go with a lighter wieght bottom and it looks like you already have two tops, so don't need the third.

Unless the multi-tool is one with sicssors, ditch it and get a small pair of sicssors instead. I know it doesn't take up much room or weigh much, but the fish hook and line will be pretty much useless for 99.99% of the hike.

Your "personal defence", while you say it is non-negotable now, will be one of the first things to go... (heck its nearly two pounds!)
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Thank you all for the suggestions!

I guess I could cut the following:

1. multitool
    2. surefire flashlight
    3. 1 pair underwear
    4. Coleman stove
    5. Wont buy Brunton battery pack
    6. 1 pack of hand wipes
    7. Shampoo
    8. Bar of soap
    9. Bag liner can be shipped home when it gets a little warmer (Im going to play it safe)
    10. Will look into cutting the Katadyn hiker pro and tabs for aquamira drops( the katadyn does take up quite a bit of space)
    11. Wont buy water proof gloves

Possible additions

1. Pack Towel/Bandana
    2. Alchy stove (this will be lighter and easier to get fuel for i'd assume)
    3. Extra phone battery
    4. Will look for "green biodegradable bottle from Wal-mart (small size)"
    5. Aquamira drops
    6. Will look into sock liners to keep feet dryer

Hobbs - The heavyweight top and bottoms are strictly for sleeping/emergency dry clothes and all the rest are for hiking

Turtlefeet - The warmth layer is the Rocky midweight top(its pretty warm) also I was planning on using a rain jacket of some sort to block the wind and help keep in warmth ( hope im thinking about this the right way?) I will most likely use gatorade bottles or others for my water carrying needs. Do you have other suggestions for carrying water? " the tent stays on the outside (once it's wet, you won't want it inside)" Never thought about that, but I am planning on attaching the tent to the outside bottom of the pack.

Slo-go'en - I could lighten the selfdefense area to around 12-16 ounces. This would cut a pound. Fishing line and hooks, I would like to do a little bit of fishing if this is even possible?

Thank you all for the comments! Looking forward to reading more!

Journal Entries
    Images

Thanks Lumpy for what the long johns were for..Could you purchase a lighter base pair to do the samething? I wore a light base pair this weekend in 32 degree weather and it was comfertable.I am just adding an option for you.I dont know about the fishing but if you want to why not..You have to have something you like as well.
    One suggestion is to take your gear and go out with it.See that it multi tasks and what you dont use discard as well. I've done this twice myself. Hey I hope you have a great thru..
    My love for life is quit simple .i get uo in the moring and then i go to bed at night. What I do inbween is to occupy my time. Cary Grant

Pretty simple really and just work in stages.
    If you are serious your first step should be a 12# 3 season base wt.

#1 buy a scale.
    #2 set up a spread sheet or do one by hand to get you to 12#.
    #3 dont buy anything not on the spreadsheet.
    #4 6# and 6# rule, big 4 - 6# and 6# for everything alse

All of your big 4 items are a bit too heavy.

Skip the liner.

Start off with a used ultra 20 at 20 oz.

Sleeping pad, should be around 12-16oz max. Prolite 3, neoair etc.

Hubba should be easy to sell and get a TT moment or other SUL tent
    like the lightheart tent, sil tap + bivy etc etc. The moment weighs about 30oz.

24 for the pack. GG miraposa etc. There are a few in this weight range but buy it last. I would swap tents last too.

Ultra 20 + full length prolight 3 + Moment + miraposa + dry bag = about 5.8#

6# for everything else is the tough part
    Basically your entire kitchen should weigh about 6 oz and can be almost free, medical about 2 oz, emer about 3-4 oz, Everyday stuff and navigation about 10 oz.

What kills is clothing, so spend some bucks there. SUL down vest or minima. Themawrap parka or other 16 oz warm jacket.

If you want to go hardcore the more double duty items you can use the more weight saved, IE Poncho/Tarp combined with a SUL bivy.

Insulated clothing as part of your sleep system etc.

Whatever goes in my pocket I dont count weight wise.

Even if you cant hit 123, 14# is still not that bad.

As far as poison oak and ivy, its a curse.

I am trying the Rhus Tox treatment this year and see how it works. Its supposed to build immunity.

I got a series of Rhus tox shots a while back and I did not get poison for about 2-3 years. It really worked. They dont do the shots any more that I have been able to find.

Big 4 + 1

Kitchen

Toiletries
    Toilet paper
    Small tube of sunblock

Tools

Clothes
    Base Layer

3. 3 pairs underwear
    4. rei liner gloves
    6. neck gaiter

Mid Layer

2. Convertible pants

Outer Layer

Sleeping clothes

Footwear

Misc
    Energizer headlamp
    Surefire flashlight

Thanks!

The stuff you won't budge on now, you'll definitely budge on later. Take as many suggestions as make sense, then get started and make all the rest of your adjustments once you see what it's really like. Worked for me. I budged on every darn thing just about.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

I bought the heavyweights just for added comfort of knowing i'll be warm enough, but I guess those could be sent home along with the bag liner once it gets warm. I got a tight budget right now, still selling stuff and saving money for my thru. Thanks for the suggestions though. I do have a pair of fruit of the loom lightweight longjohns but its made of 20% polyester and 80% cotton. From my research cotton is bad for hiking conditions though. Any cheap ideas would be appreciated!

Will plastic bottles be fine to pour hot coffee/tea/coco into or should i get a lightweight mug?

Thanks again

Thanks! A scale would really help me decide on things. I will defiantly look into the Rhus Tox treatment! I usually get poison ivy really bad once a year.

Quote Originally Posted by tammons View Post
    Pretty simple really and just work in stages.
    If you are serious your first step should be a 12# 3 season base wt.

#1 buy a scale.
    #2 set up a spread sheet or do one by hand to get you to 12#.
    #3 dont buy anything not on the spreadsheet.
    #4 6# and 6# rule, big 4 - 6# and 6# for everything alse

All of your big 4 items are a bit too heavy.

Skip the liner.

Start off with a used ultra 20 at 20 oz.

Sleeping pad, should be around 12-16oz max. Prolite 3, neoair etc.

Hubba should be easy to sell and get a TT moment or other SUL tent
    like the lightheart tent, sil tap + bivy etc etc. The moment weighs about 30oz.

24 for the pack. GG miraposa etc. There are a few in this weight range but buy it last. I would swap tents last too.

Ultra 20 + full length prolight 3 + Moment + miraposa + dry bag = about 5.8#

6# for everything else is the tough part
    Basically your entire kitchen should weigh about 6 oz and can be almost free, medical about 2 oz, emer about 3-4 oz, Everyday stuff and navigation about 10 oz.

What kills is clothing, so spend some bucks there. SUL down vest or minima. Themawrap parka or other 16 oz warm jacket.

If you want to go hardcore the more double duty items you can use the more weight saved, IE Poncho/Tarp combined with a SUL bivy.

Insulated clothing as part of your sleep system etc.

Whatever goes in my pocket I dont count weight wise.

Even if you cant hit 123, 14# is still not that bad.

As far as poison oak and ivy, its a curse.

I am trying the Rhus Tox treatment this year and see how it works. Its supposed to build immunity.

I got a series of Rhus tox shots a while back and I did not get poison for about 2-3 years. It really worked. They dont do the shots any more that I have been able to find.

I bought the heavyweights just for added comfort of knowing i'll be warm enough, but I guess those could be sent home along with the bag liner once it gets warm. I got a tight budget right now, still selling stuff and saving money for my thru. Thanks for the suggestions though. I do have a pair of fruit of the loom lightweight longjohns but its made of 20% polyester and 80% cotton. From my research cotton is bad for hiking conditions though. Any cheap ideas would be appreciated!

Will plastic bottles be fine to pour hot coffee/tea/coco into or should i get a lightweight mug?

Thanks again
    I you insist on long johns the military surplus poly pro works good. You can use a Gatorade bottle, light, cheap.

Carry a lighter sleeping bag. Put on everything to sleep in the occassional cold snap, maybe even suffer a little.

We are leaving about the same time. I will do the approach trail 30 March. I am carrying a 40 degree bag, will sleep in a tent which is a little warmer. The clothes I carry including the stuff I am wearing are long sleeve poly T-shirt, Coolmax running shorts, 100 fleece 1/4 zip top and pants, Marmot Precip top and bottom, fleece hat and gloves.

The average lows along the early part of the AT are only going to be in the 40s. Record lows are in the 20s according to the almanac data I have been able to pull up.

Get rid of the gun. You won't be able to ship it back later.
    Last edited by swjohnsey; 02-15-2011 at 21:36.

Cerveza - AT 2010; PCT 2011 StormBird's Avatar

Big 4 + 1

Kitchen
    Fire Kit: couple bic lighters, 1 fire steel, 2 small boxes of matches (1 water proof the other strike anywhere) You only need one lighter

Toiletries
    Toilet paper
    Moist Wipes x 3 ( two for cleaning messes and 1 for bathroom) You only need one, you can pick up replacements in town
    Travel sized shampoo and bar of soap Drop the shampoo & bar of soap. Carry small bottle of camp soap instead
    First Aid kit: 5+ bandaides, small neosporin tube, cortizone and benadryl for poison ivy(i get it bad), water pur tabs, tweezers, aquamira straw filter 1 oz drop the cortizone & carry gold bond powder instead. (also, consider carrying a small amount of duct tape)
    Small tube of sunblock you can drop the sunblock after the first couple weeks
    Small finger nail clippers you could cut this and just clip your nails in town with scissors

Tools

Clothes
    Base Layer

3. 3 pairs underwear
    4. rei liner gloves
    6. neck gaiter

Mid Layer

2. Convertible pants

Outer Layer

Sleeping clothes

Footwear

Misc
    Energizer headlamp
    Surefire flashlight Cut this. You only need your headlamp
    Brunton Battery Pack - 5.5 oz ( Wanting to buy this to keep my cell phone charged) You could potentially cut this and just keep your phone for emergencies.
    These are my suggestions. Hope it helps. Happy Trails!
    Trail Name: Cerveza

Haha yea your probably right. I feel like once i've completed the A.T. I will have a totally different view on everything that goes in my pack (and my pack for that matter). Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    The stuff you won't budge on now, you'll definitely budge on later. Take as many suggestions as make sense, then get started and make all the rest of your adjustments once you see what it's really like. Worked for me. I budged on every darn thing just about.

Thanks Stormbird and Swjohnsey. I'll probably use my cellphone as a camera too so I'd like some way to keep my phone charged, might go with an extra phone battery instead of the power pack.

" you can drop the sunblock after the first couple weeks" - why no sunblock?

I bought my sleeping bag mainly because of the price i guess haha. But now that i'm more into being lightweight I'll go with something more lighter next time. For now though what I got will have to do.

Might see ya out there!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++