WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Hiking the entire Mid-State Trail in PA???

I am planning on hiking the entire Mid-State Trail in PA in late August-early September. Does anyone know if this possible in terms of campsites?? It is something I have been wanting to do for awhile. I will have a break between my jobs. Thanks.

Also wanted to add that I am willing to pitch a tent along the trail in suitable spots too if that is permitted....so wondering about the ability to do that.

Images

I haven't hiked the whole trail, but there were plenty of good campsites in the 50 or 60 miles near Woodward PA. I hammocked it, and that made it easier to find a site. You know how unpleasant PA rocks can be.

We've section hiked about 2/3 of the trail. No reason you can't camp.

Quote Originally Posted by speedster View Post
    I am planning on hiking the entire Mid-State Trail in PA in late August-early September. Does anyone know if this possible in terms of campsites?? It is something I have been wanting to do for awhile. I will have a break between my jobs. Thanks.
    There's a couple of existing threads on the Mid-States Trail including this long one. Perhaps you'll find some answers there.

aka -OvertheEdge- :)
    Shippensburg, Pennsylvania, United States
    Images

Alas there is no camping the southern half of the trail as it all lies on private property or State Game Land. I wanted to do the same last spring while I was laid off. I ordered the maps and guide book. North of State Collage most of it lies in state forest or state parks. That seems possible to do camping I believe at one point it runs right through or real close to a camp ground. I have been looking for some one interested in knocking out sections together.It would be nice to leave a car at either trail head rather than just hike in and hike back. If you are interested maybe we could coordinate something.
    Alcohol was involved!

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

easily doable with a little planning. we've hiked over half the trail and never had a problem. just obey the restrictions on when and where to camp.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Referring to the breakdown on the official MST site free camping availability is not a problem on sections 6-18 (US 22 west of Huntingdon, to US 6 east of Wellsboro) although there are spotty camping restrictions especially on the roadwalk crossing the valley of West Branch Susquehanna River near Woolrich. North of US 6 (Sections 19-20) pay to stay at scattered campgrounds is the only legal option but they are spaced no more than 15 km apart. Sections 2-6 are legal camping challenged, although in Everett you can either stay at a motel or check with the borough police to camp in a park not (yet) on the trail. Section 1 in the far south is camping OK rules-wise.

A concern with August-September is water, camel up at every source, and you may have to go off-trail to find water especially south of PA 26 near State College (sections 1-7). It may be better to hike southbound to get your legs on the easier treadway and water availability in the north.

The maps and guides are METRIC, something to keep in mind when planning.

Sections 2-6 are legal camping challenged
    I think we have a new hiker lexicon.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

aka -OvertheEdge- :)
    Shippensburg, Pennsylvania, United States
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
    Referring to the breakdown on the official MST site free camping availability is not a problem on sections 6-18 (US 22 west of Huntingdon, to US 6 east of Wellsboro) although there are spotty camping restrictions especially on the roadwalk crossing the valley of West Branch Susquehanna River near Woolrich. North of US 6 (Sections 19-20) pay to stay at scattered campgrounds is the only legal option but they are spaced no more than 15 km apart. Sections 2-6 are legal camping challenged, although in Everett you can either stay at a motel or check with the borough police to camp in a park not (yet) on the trail. Section 1 in the far south is camping OK rules-wise.

A concern with August-September is water, camel up at every source, and you may have to go off-trail to find water especially south of PA 26 near State College (sections 1-7). It may be better to hike southbound to get your legs on the easier treadway and water availability in the north.

The maps and guides are METRIC, something to keep in mind when planning.
    Knew you would chime in there Ki0eh much better answer than I gave. Still think I will do the southern sections as day hikes and hit the more northern sections in a series of long week ends unless I get laid off again
    Alcohol was involved!

Quote Originally Posted by harryfred View Post
    do the southern sections as day hikes and hit the more northern sections in a series of long week ends unless I get laid off again
    That's probably best. US 22 (split between Sections 6 and 7) is the split between no-camping and camping legally. Half-way on all of MST is about at Hairy John's picnic area (PA 45 between Woodward and Laurelton/Hartleton) or the split between Sections 10 and 11.

Thank you everyone for all the good info. It seems like this is doable with a little planning. I have plenty of time beginning in very late August-end of September, so I am hoping to start my trek then. I am really looking forward to this hike as it will be a great time for reflection following my many years of schooling and a residency.

++ New Posts ++