WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by paschen56 View Post
    the longest hiking /hunting trip I have been on was for a little over 3 wks and it was winter in GA
    Nice! See that adds some credibility to what you're proposing.

I am in pretty good physical shape and have a lot of knowledge and have strong will power so I am of course going to test my limits I know that for sure and I am fully dedicated to this.
    How many times have we seen statements like this on WB? Always from people with little actual experiance and big plans. Then they either never actually starts the trip or they go home with thier tail between thier legs after a couple of weeks (or less) on the trail.

The reality is the trail is a lot harder and demanding then most people realise. That is why so few finish a thru hike and very, very few even attempt a yo-yo. Go do a big section hike this spring and if that works out, then start to plan the kind of hike you've been talking about.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Originally Posted by paschen56
    the longest hiking /hunting trip I have been on was for a little over 3 wks and it was winter in GA

On your hunting trip did you hike/hunt and set up camp each night or return to a base canp each night. There is a big difference between the two

slo go en - I'm a non- agorrant newbie. but I think it's other peoples responsibility to protect stupid people from danger, all the time, not just on the trail. Wouldn't you you grab a 3rd old running into traffic. We are a Society not just a mix of no-nothing individuals. With all my posts I appreciate all of you protecting me from my stupidity

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    slo go en - I'm a non- agorrant newbie. but I think it's other peoples responsibility to protect stupid people from danger, all the time, not just on the trail. Wouldn't you you grab a 3rd old running into traffic. We are a Society not just a mix of no-nothing individuals. With all my posts I appreciate all of you protecting me from my stupidity
    I spent a couple of seasons working as a caretaker in the White and Green mountains. It was my job to try and keep people from doing stupid things so I didn't have to rescue them Old habits are hard to break...
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Another point for the original poster....most estimates seem to be $3000 to $4000 for a thru hike, one way. Minimum, $1 per mile (so figure $2200). For hostels, gear replacements, food. This doesn't include your starting gear, which you should already be working on if not have already. If you need gear to start, then include that. So, when you step off in 2015 for this hike for charity, you need around $6K to $7500 in a bank account to cover the expense of your hike. Not counting if you will also be paying for storage or an apartment....all those "back home bills". Just wanted to make sure you are also preparing for all those expenses and 8 months on a trail with zero income.
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

Quote Originally Posted by Parkie Man View Post
    Originally Posted by paschen56

On your hunting trip did you hike/hunt and set up camp each night or return to a base canp each night. There is a big difference between the two
    OP stated in a PM the longest duration hike he has ever done was 4 days.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Aww... *Ouch* .... He's got to come clean, DW. No "playing around", right?

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Disappointing. Why lie to us, or even twist words? Potential participants (and potential sponsors if he's as inconsistent when talking to them) of his hike are thinking twice now.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MDSection12 View Post
    Disappointing. Why lie to us, or even twist words? Potential participants (and potential sponsors if he's as inconsistent when talking to them) of his hike are thinking twice now.
    I don't think he lied. He could have spent 3 weeks hunting out of a base camp. He could have also done a 4 day backpack trip. Very different activities.

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    I don't think he lied. He could have spent 3 weeks hunting out of a base camp. He could have also done a 4 day backpack trip. Very different activities.
    I'd agree, that's why I added 'or even twist words.' He probably didn't lie, but see below and tell me his answer wasn't a little evasive:

Quote Originally Posted by MDSection12 View Post
    What's the longest (days) backpacking trip you've been on?

Experience means a lot.
    As does luck in this endeavor.
    Luck with the weather, luck with not getting hurt too bad that you can't keep going.

Experience will teach you what you can accomplish in different seasons and what is a pipe dream.

So, starting Jan 2015 shows me that there is not a whole lot of experience here, because massive amounts of luck would be needed.

This can be done. But, a March start is much more realistic as is a faster SOBO (2nd half) leg than the 1st as he'll not only be in shape, but know so much more about where he should stay, putting in some extra miles sometimes vs camping early, town stop no-how, etc.

Since the OP is living in FL, I have a feeling he is not so aware of what sleeping in snow means. Finding trail in snow, knowing when the elements are do-able, and when to take a day off.

The best advice for him would be to go out and do a thru-hike NOBO this year and see what you are getting yourself into.

As Lone Wolf would say: I give him a 5% chance of completion. (lone wolf would probably say less)

But, I do wish him good luck. He'll need it.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Journal Entries

he stated part of his experience was based on living in Franklin in 1996-2001 I believe, which if he is 26 yrs old would have made him ages 7-12 which I can't count as experience. forgive me for being nit picky on that . God bless him and good luck though, I think we all know any fast hike should never start nobo in January , or it has zero chance. he might consider a yo yo starting in August and rolling over into 2015. more doable if he has to wait out the New England spring

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    YOUTUBE: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCMDkRcGP1yP20SOD-oiSGcQ
    Instagram: DIGGER_PCT_2016
    twitter: @takethisbread
    AT 2x, LT, JMT, CT, Camino, Ireland Coast to Coast, HWT, WT, NET, NST, PCT

Paschen56 I replied to another of your post and what you are trying to accomplish is very noble. I would take the advice given to you on here and then go research everything for yourself... There is plenty of literature out there to provide accurate up to date information and for the most accurate information you should make some calls to find out trail information.

And as far as everyone questioning your ability to actually accomplish this, just remember that everyone told Earl Shaffer that hiking the entire trail in one long hike was impossible. When I did my thru hike, I had no camping experience, no hiking experience but I was pretty physically fit and very strong willed and more than anything I was extremely confident. I had no experience hiking but when I started my hike I had completed iron distance triathlons, several ultra distance foot races, and a lot of other physical accomplishments and I knew that the only part of the hike that had me the least bit unsure was sleeping outside and I got use to that a lot quicker than most people I met got use to the physical portion.

So what I am really trying to say is do some research so you can plan out your hike but you are the only person that knows if you are capable of doing a yo-yo hike and how fast you are capable of doing it, so don't let anyone's questions of your abilities put doubt in your abilities.

best of luck to you!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++