WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I've had a Nesco for about a decade, my mom has had hers for about 5 or 6 years. We both love them and haven't felt like we need to upgrade (in the summer they run nearly continuously when we are in town).
    The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness. - John Muir

I second the Excalibur. I had a cheap circular dehydrator that I bought from the thrift store and it ended up being more trouble than it was worth. Uneven drying, hard to clean, etc. The Excalibur is a great piece of gear. I really enjoy using it.

Quote Originally Posted by MeatTrapper View Post
    I second the Excalibur. I had a cheap circular dehydrator that I bought from the thrift store and it ended up being more trouble than it was worth. Uneven drying, hard to clean, etc. The Excalibur is a great piece of gear. I really enjoy using it.
    I third it. I dehydrate all my dinners with my Excalibur.

Well, all y'all can be proud of yourself. After calculating electricity costs for square footage, I broke down and bought myself a 9 tray Excalibur with a timer.

My mom can have a second Nesco
    The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness. - John Muir

glad to hear you drank the Kool Aid. You won't be disappointed!
    Demeter's Blog

Demeter's Video Channel

"What is a weed? A plant who's virtues have not yet been discovered" ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Cooking in the Backcountry LaurieAnn's Avatar
    Images

It wasn't me with the fuse issue... but a fellow cookbook author. If I remember correctly Christine's husband replaced the fuse and the Nesco was still going strong.

RustMD I do have a second book out. Thanks for the kind mention. I'm working on a third but it's not suitable for this type of camping.

Hikermom,that was too cool,I am going to do that, thanks
    A+on excalibur

Images

Does the food taste better dehydrated rather than freeze dried?
    Buy and Sell Used Outdoor Gear!
    www.ologearexchange.com

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go."
    -- T.S. Eliot

Freeze dried is almost always the winner in a taste test, but costs significantly more.
    Demeter's Blog

Demeter's Video Channel

"What is a weed? A plant who's virtues have not yet been discovered" ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

but I should add that I prefer dehydrated food I make myself because I know what is in it. Lower sodium, no preservatives, locally grown produce, etc.
    Demeter's Blog

Demeter's Video Channel

Another advantage to the Excalibur is that because the trays are square you can rotate them partway through the drying time to make sure everything dries evenly. I did trays of spinach, saurkraut and scrambled eggs this weekend.

I highly recommend the backpacking chef's book, "Recipes for Adventure". My trail diet has vastly improved, and it wasn't terrible before.

My opinion of dehydrators is this: If you think you will use it, a Nesco is a cheap investment. I don't use my dehydrators for meals, rather I dry components, things I cannot buy commercially (like artichokes!) and for fall preservation from the garden.
    A $50 Nesco will do most people just fine....
    Trail Cooking/FBC, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
    Trail Cooking

Section Hiker

You all inspired me (thanks OP!) and I ordered the Nesco Snackmaster Pro. Can't wait to see what all I can do with it!

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

Images

Freeze dried foods are dehydrated, its just done by a different method. IMO most Freeze Dried foods have too much salt in them.
    Hammock Hanger by choice

Warbonnet BlackBird 1.7 dbl

www.neusioktrail.org

Bears love people, they say we taste just like chicken.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++