Hello, Hikers

I have been dreaming of hiking the Appalachian Trail and at first I thought I would not start until 2016, since I am happy and comfortable in my life and job. However, I recently realized I am ready NOW, and I will always be happy and comfortable... I may only get more comfortable, and this scares me. I don't want to wait until 2016! SO, I am now pondering starting hiking Northbound in March of 2015 instead of 2016. What is your advice on moving a timeline like this? Is 7 months enough time to plan and prepare for the trail? Please give your advice. Also, if I want to start preparing for 2015, what are the biggest tasks to tackle first? Thank you for your advice!

PS I should note that I do have most of the essential gear as I have already done some short distance backpacking, and while I KNOW I am not in long-distance hiking shape I am starting off in a decent place in terms of health and fitness. I also recently inherited money from a relative passed on, and so I have the funds a well. THANKS for all your help!