WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Southern Mountains - Snow?

Hello,
    I am doing the AT as a series of day hikes and would like to get a few more miles in before winter really sets in. I am thinking of driving from Maine next week and am looking at the Damascus area, south from Fontana Dam or around Hiawassee depending on conditions. Does anyone have any information on snow conditions at the higher elevations in these areas. I don't mind a couple of inches of snow but don't want to be out there alone in serious snow. Naturally, I will be watching the weather closely.

Thanks very much,

Thorfinn

A.T. Maintainer (Pond Mtn to Watauga Lake)
    Images

I live close to the A.T. in the Dennis Cove area, south of Damascus. We had a few inches of snow on Thanksgiving but the majority of it is gone now with the warmer temps this week.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

The GSMNP maintains two web cams:
    http://www.nature.nps.gov/air/WebCam...am/grsmcam.cfm
    http://www.nature.nps.gov/air/webcam.../grsmpkcam.cfm

If you check out the archives for any given day in the winter...
    http://www.nature.nps.gov/air/WebCam...m/grsm_arc.cfm
    http://www.nature.nps.gov/air/webcam...grsmpk_arc.cfm
    ...you will see that the odds are that you will either have no snow or just a few inches.

However, it is also not uncommon for there to be brief periods of over a foot of snow. A recent unusual weather pattern caused a snow storm Nov 1st 2014 that had places like LeConte Lodge with more than 2 feet of snow with drifts as high as 5 feet in places.

So you just never know what you're going to get until you get a chance to check out the weather forecast (and it's sometimes wrong).

Images

yea just check the weather it could be nasty or great

Thanks to all. I think I will head south and get away from this ice that kept us in all day.

Possum Bill,

I was in your neck of the woods last week. In lower elevations it was a few inches, Pond flats going to Vanderventer it changed to sleet and then snow. By the time I got to Iron mountain, It was on. There was more than a few inches at elevation, 5-6 inches. At places it was time to posthole.

The real fun was looking down from the ridge line and seeing no snow at the lower elevations. It changed those miles into something more difficult, not to mention 11 degrees-25 at night.

I had a BLAST!

I forgot how much fun trekking in the snow was. At each bailout point I decided to keep going.

I guess what I'm trying to say is for weather look at NOAA.gov. They have been the most accurate for me in the mountains next to rays weather, which didn't cover the area.

One extra note: what really saved my bacon was I brought two bread bags, always bring them in the winter, used them everyday, as well as the OR permethin gaiters. Not optimal but served it's purpose.

Now if something can be done regarding the rodies that weighed down by snow and ice.

BTW stopped by Kincora to meet Bob Peoples, missed him.
    Floyd

A.T. Maintainer (Pond Mtn to Watauga Lake)
    Images

Hey Floyd,
    I guess I consider 5-6 inches to be a "few" where I live (haha), which is close to 3000' elevation. Yeah, I would say I had about that amount last Thursday and Friday. I hiked Black Mountain behind my house (right next to Pond Mtn) early on Saturday, and it still had close to that amount in spots, but the majority was gone by Sunday evening. You must've hiked on Thursday/Friday? If so, I just missed you... I stopped by Kincora to talk to Bob and Jack too, on Saturday afternoon. I maintain the south side of Pond (from Pond Flats to Watauga Lake), but I haven't been up there since the BIG storm on Halloween night. Were there any major blowdowns or problems, other than the weighted down Rhodies??? I bet you did have a blast! Wish I would've known and I could have hiked with you! PM me the next time you're in the area, and we will get out and hike!!!!
    Take care,
    Bill

++ New Posts ++