WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Zed View Post
    Agree. It's their rules and their reality. I can't see how the ATC will be able to repair this relationship in the long run. Possibly they could have someone at the Birches, and another at the summit to monitor behavior. But without any enforcement authority that might not make any difference. Plus, by the time they witnessed and addressed any bad behavior, other non thru hikers may also have seen it, and the damage would be done.
    In point of fact, maybe we should have been policing our own and we wouldn't be on this slippery slope. I'm all for HYOH to a point, but by turning a blind eye to unacceptable behavior, have we not been guilty to some degree ourselves?
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Engine View Post
    In point of fact, maybe we should have been policing our own and we wouldn't be on this slippery slope. I'm all for HYOH to a point, but by turning a blind eye to unacceptable behavior, have we not been guilty to some degree ourselves?
    I get the feeling that the whole Scott Jurek Baxter Peak incident is still burning in the back of Bissell's mind.
    “For of all sad words of tongue or pen,
    the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier

Actually, progress by the ATC was noted in the minutes of the Authority, I think it is the 5/2016 minutes. But then....Woodcock's wife heard some vulgarity and there was some nudity reported on the trail (summit I think). Woodcock is one of the three Authority members, he is Comm. of Inland Fish and Game. Now, yes the Authority has a right to make rules, but by Maine Law, they are bound by certain rulemaking requirements. That's probably good, because the switch in attitude is perhaps arbitrary and capricious. There were comments from the AT trail overseer (don't have their title handy) saying 99% of the hikers are respectful. It would be great if everybody was but that's pretty decent. Further, if this is a major substansive rule (Maine definition), they can't just make the rule amongst themselves. If it is considered that way, they have to jump through a lot more hoops than they have to create this level of impact/restriction. They went their own way, yet the trail is designated in the National Scenic Trails Act. There are Maine laws that concern rules that are implemented and are more restrictive then the federal law. I'm not sure they considered that. So no the Authority may not just have a right to do it their way, they are bound by their own laws.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Journal Entries

Default Permit now required at Baxter for AT hikers

Not like there aren't ways around this if and when they hit the limit.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

It would have been nice if someone would have thought to include the details a little closer to the start of this thread.

Images

Actually, I think that the ATC was being responsive to BSP's concerns. They began their registration system in an attempt to spread out the bubble, they have been working on improving hiker education on LNT, they opened the new AT Visitor center in Monson, Maine this past year to educate hikers.

All this may have been too little to late for the BSP Authority, but you think that the BSPA would have been willing to keep working cooperatively towards a mutual solution. They implemented this unilaterally. Clearly the relationship has soured. Woodcock, Denico and Bissell seem to be openly hostile to AT hikers.

John Greenleaf Whittier

No the park does care if they are bunched up. It leads to noise and that is a major concern of the park. As well as, groups do not present a vision of solitude, another concern. There's an excerpt in the minutes covering remarks the AG (1/3 of the Authority) gave in a discussion concerning establishment of a national park nearby. Managers are also concerned about the environment of the summit, it's fragile. Groups are an issue too in that they may reach a degradation point for a local environment. For instance, 2 people passing a spot every other day might be a problem over 10 days but 12 people on day not so good.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

If this was any other trail, who cares where you end your thru-hike. Unless you are looking for something on your "I love me wall".

Take the PCT...does it matter if you end at Ross Lake on the Canadian Border or the Monument 78?

OTOH, Katahdin is one of the most iconic mountains in the United States. Of the trails I've done, it is by far the most scenic and breathtaking ending.

Seems that it is perceived the ATC has not addressed the concerns of BSP. BSP is taking the policy into their own hands.

Be interesting to see what happens in the next two or three seasons.
    Last edited by Mags; 02-02-2017 at 17:50.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

We wouldn't be having this discussion if a certain person hadn't pushed them to move the northern terminus from Mt. Washington to Maine instead when they were building the trail.

Unhappy Baxter State Park Thru-hiker Limits

Just saw this article pop up on my feed. http://baxterstateparkauthority.com/...unce_Final.pdf

I BSPA is going to limit the amount of thru-hikers in 2017. They did put in a 10% increase from last years numbers but from 2015-2016 there was a 26% increase in thru-hikers. so there is a potential for hikers having to go around and wait outside the park till they open for a summit.

Default sobo in 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Oventoasted View Post
    Just saw this article pop up on my feed. http://baxterstateparkauthority.com/...unce_Final.pdf

I BSPA is going to limit the amount of thru-hikers in 2017. They did put in a 10% increase from last years numbers but from 2015-2016 there was a 26% increase in thru-hikers. so there is a potential for hikers having to go around and wait outside the park till they open for a summit.
    well that seals the deal for me sobo in 2018 staring in early june, black flies and all…yippee, at least they don't close springer and I'am from western NC so ill be near home when i finish. ( fingers and toes crossed )

Quote Originally Posted by slowcoastie View Post
    well that seals the deal for me sobo in 2018 staring in early june, black flies and all…yippee, at least they don't close springer and I'am from western NC so ill be near home when i finish. ( fingers and toes crossed )
    I did a NOBO section mid June last year passing through the bubble of early June SOBO starters and have never seen a happier collection of folks finding out how hard hiking through ME can be. More used to the simmering resentment and thousand yard stares of NOBOs nearing the end of the trail I was really struck by all the smiles I saw. Bugs or no I'd wager you'll have one on your face too!
    “The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait until that other is ready...”~Henry David Thoreau

http://lesstraveledby.net
    YouTube Channel
    Trailspace Reviews

can someone provide the actual link for the registration not just for info for registration. I can not find the actual registration link for BSP. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Phlashlite View Post
    can someone provide the actual link for the registration not just for info for registration. I can not find the actual registration link for BSP. Thanks
    It wont be up till June. im pretty sure it will crash their little site when it does open up.

Images

Registrations will not be available online. According to the press release ALL AT permits MUST be obtained IN PERSON.

John Greenleaf Whittier

Can you pre purchase all permits ahead of time or only when you get there ? Cause I thinking IF I did the thru hike and couldnt finish it cause I was past the limit I would be MAD

Quote Originally Posted by penny b View Post
    Can you pre purchase all permits ahead of time or only when you get there ? Cause I thinking IF I did the thru hike and couldnt finish it cause I was past the limit I would be MAD
    never mind i read more and answered own question

This is what happens when everyone thinks the AT is the only good LD hiking trail. No one could have though that many people utilizing a foot path could have endured forever..I mean my god what do they think that is..public land or something?

I'm hoping this doesn't drive an increase of usage over to the BMT, I like the extreme rarity of people there.

If you want to hike South, reserve a campsite or cabin around the day you want to hike Katahdin, enjoy the Park for the time you are there and climb Katahdin at your convenience. Walk to the border at Abol bridge and keep on going South to The HMW. Its not difficult. Last year, my gf and I did exactly that. Three of us drove in. One drove out and two walked out. The ranger at the kiosk was pretty puzzled since we didnt fit into his neat little box. Maybe we were the ones that triggered the sobo permits?

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++