WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by High-Milage Hiker View Post
    You may want to look up stats on homeless populations. No one chooses to be homeless and all homelessness causes mental and physical health issues. Wouldn't being hungry or thirsty cause hunger or thirst? Being homeless causes inevitiable problems which affect basic mental and physical well being.
    I did a quick look and the numbers I found range from 25-33% of homeless have a mental illness. Far from 100%.
    More walking, less talking.

Quote Originally Posted by soilman View Post
    I did a quick look and the numbers I found range from 25-33% of homeless have a mental illness. Far from 100%.
    You're correct. The homeless population is not 100% mentally ill. It's closer to 30% as you indicated. However, I didn't say mental illness. I said "mental health issues". There's a difference between mental health and mental illness. Everyone exists on a spectrum of mental health and obviously not everyone is mentally ill.

https://www.heretohelp.bc.ca/q-and-a...mental-illness
    -- Probably written after hiking 8 miles and drinking a beer or two.

When I gave up my lease and spent 6 months hiking the AT in 2008, I was actually and technically homeless. If 100% of homeless have "mental health issues", then I can only assume that you think wanting to live outdoors for 6 months gives you "mental health issues". I call BS.

Quote Originally Posted by Montana View Post
    When I gave up my lease and spent 6 months hiking the AT in 2008, I was actually and technically homeless. If 100% of homeless have "mental health issues", then I can only assume that you think wanting to live outdoors for 6 months gives you "mental health issues". I call BS.
    Just the opposite Montana, and I apologize for the misunderstanding. I think wanting to thru-hike (or hike in general) is posssibly our subconscious desire to tap into our programmed need to be nomadic, which likely stems from biologically-based behavioral epigenetics. Hiking (for me) is healthy for the mind, body and spirit in a modern-day sedintary lifestyle rought with endless sources of unhealthy negative external stimuli.

As my ancestors would probably say, "Walking...good."
    -- Probably written after hiking 8 miles and drinking a beer or two.

++ New Posts ++