WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default GSMNP section hike

My son (9) and I (40) are going to tackle the GSMNP section (Fontana—Davenport) of the AT in June. We're taking 10 days to complete it. At this time last year, we did roughly 45 miles in 6 days through the Virginia Triple Crown section. Does anyone have any advice regarding trail conditions this year and NOBO vs. SOBO?

Images

I have done the GSMNP section twice since 2008, I-40 - Fontana (SOBO) October 2008 and did it in 6 days. Clingmans Dome - Fontana (SOBO) in May 2021 and Newfound Gap - I-40 (NOBO) in May 2022. NOBO or SOBO there's both positives and negatives but either way you're in for a treat if the weather is good. Be sure to stop by Shuckstack Fire Tower, Clingmans Dome Tower and Mount Cammerer Lookout Tower for views. Even though you're basically hiking a ridge there is elevation changes in and out of the gaps regardless of NOBO or SOBO. The best views in my opinion are in the northern section. The shelters are pretty much all the same except for Mollies Ridge which I suggest for your first night out of Fontana. Most are right on the trail or within a hundred yards except for a few and as long as this wet weather we've been experiencing in western NC continues the springs should be flowing good. Another positive is that by June the thru hiker bubbles will be well north of the Smokies so shouldn't have to fight for shelter space which you are required to stay in, no tenting allowed and remember to get your backcountry permits. I think you'll have a blast and it will be a memory your son will never forget. Feel free to send me a PM if you have any questions, I hike the Smokies on a regular basis and don't mind helping out.

With a nine-year-old, going northbound may be preferable. You begin with a pop by crossing Fontana Dam. Your son will really enjoy that. And about four miles in, you get Shuckstack Tower. So, you really get off to a good start, and then it builds steadily from there to each landmark and high pont. Heading southbound, the first day or so is mostly woods walking, Mount Cammerer tower excepting.

Be prepared for any kind of weather, could be hot, could snow.
    Climb Shuckstack Tower and take a break. You'll deserve it after climbing up from the dam.
    Try to be awake for the sunrise at Icewater Shelter.
    Don't skip Mt Cammerer even though if going NOBO you might be tempted to at that point of the trip.
    Most importantly, take your time and enjoy it. He's only 9 once. Blink and he's grown.

This is really helpful! Thank yall!

Either NOBO or SOBO you start with a big climb, then undulating ridgeline to a big downhill.

The spruce forest on Mt Guyot is really cool, couple miles on either side of Tricorner Knob Shelter.

Not every shelter has a privy, check that if you think your son would find that uncomfortable….or really cool, haha.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

10 days? Wow, that's a lot of days in GSMNP.
    Do you have a resupply plan?... cause 10 days worth of food for two people is going to be a LOT of weight.
    You also realize that a trip that long is going to require two permits? You can only do 7 nights on one permit.
    I knew permits for GSMNP had gotten expensive... but d@m, that's going to be $112 in permits alone (I never thought I'd ever say the cost of permits for GSMNP has become obscene... but that's obscene).

unless you are Tipi Walter, 10 days is a lot.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    10 days? Wow, that's a lot of days in GSMNP.
    Do you have a resupply plan?... cause 10 days worth of food for two people is going to be a LOT of weight.
    You also realize that a trip that long is going to require two permits? You can only do 7 nights on one permit.
    I knew permits for GSMNP had gotten expensive... but d@m, that's going to be $112 in permits alone (I never thought I'd ever say the cost of permits for GSMNP has become obscene... but that's obscene).
    I've started making separate permits for each night of a trip (might not do that for 10 nights, but definitely for 2) because if you need to change plans for some reason, they won't let you move night 1 and night 2 to two separate weekends. They have to stay together as a 2-night trip. Screwed me out of the fee for one night. Didn't bankrupt me, but it was annoying. With separate permits, I have more flexibility if I need to change it. And I agree, it's obscene.

Journal Entries

1 - Get to where you are going before 3pm. It's a rainforest and after that time it's more likely that it starts in.
    2 - 10 days is a long traverse, there is enough cell service to call the back country office (BCO) to change your route if you want to.
    3 - You might consider a night in Gatlinburg if you need to come off trail. It's an easy hitch from New Found Gap. And besides Clingman's Dome, the only road accessible part till the end. (again call BCO to modify your stays).
    4 - Call BCO before you arrive and ask about water along the AT for your traverse. Some times it can be very low, and you may have to carry to the shelter. Also ask about bear activity and shelter closings due to that.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    I've started making separate permits for each night of a trip (might not do that for 10 nights, but definitely for 2) because if you need to change plans for some reason, they won't let you move night 1 and night 2 to two separate weekends. They have to stay together as a 2-night trip. Screwed me out of the fee for one night. Didn't bankrupt me, but it was annoying. With separate permits, I have more flexibility if I need to change it. And I agree, it's obscene.
    IF I recall the numbers correctly... you can pull a permit for up to 7 nights, but you only pay for the 1st 5 nights (6th and 7th are 'free').
    That's where my $112 quote came from (two people paying for 5 nights plus 2 more nights). Ten separate permits would cost $160.

Hey All!

Thanks for the advice!

I have two permits (7, 2), and the total was $112 plus whatever the car tag costs. I know that's a lot for some, but for us, it's a small price to pay for the adventure together, and I'm happy to pay it. I have a friend in the area who will help with the resupply, meeting us at Newfound Gap. If things go sideways, we'll just bail from there. Ten days is a lot, but the kid had a big hand in the planning, and I want to encourage that kind of ownership. It'll be a fun time no matter how it shakes out.Thanks again for the feedback and encouragement!

That’s awesome! Enjoy your time out there!

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by VashFive View Post
    Hey All!

Thanks for the advice!

I have two permits (7, 2), and the total was $112 plus whatever the car tag costs. I know that's a lot for some, but for us, it's a small price to pay for the adventure together, and I'm happy to pay it. I have a friend in the area who will help with the resupply, meeting us at Newfound Gap. If things go sideways, we'll just bail from there. Ten days is a lot, but the kid had a big hand in the planning, and I want to encourage that kind of ownership. It'll be a fun time no matter how it shakes out.Thanks again for the feedback and encouragement!
    Great report... especially working out a resupply.

So far, the most my son and I have done together has been a 5 night trip in GSMNP (and the 1st night was in a hotel after a 1st day of hiking).
    However, we've done several 4 night trips together in GSMNP.

Can't wait to hear a trip report when ya'll are done.

++ New Posts ++