WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default MISSING THRU HIKER (Tennessee Jed)

found his on P.NET...brought it here...anyone sees him please let his family know!

Missing AT thru-hiker
    Posted by: architectx on Jun-12-07 1:58 PM (EST)

-- Last Updated: Jun-12-07 2:09 PM EST --
    Hey folks,

Hope you don't mind this showing up here on P-Net. Been a while since I posted, this isn't necessarily a great way to re-introduce myself.

Anyways:

My partner's son (solo thru-hiker) has been out of touch for much longer than usual. He should have checked in prior to June 5, but nobody has heard from him since June 1. His name is Gregg Baird (trail name Tennessee Jed). I've posted a link to a recent photo down below. Gregg is 6'5 and wears size 14 shoes (should be easy to remember based on his appearance). I'm hoping you can pass this on to any hikers you may know, local outfitters, and anyone else you deem appropriate. Gregg's dad, Phil Whitfield, feels like he's probably alright, but we're concerned over his lack of contact as it is highly unusual for Gregg to be out of touch so long.

We know he was in or near Glasgow on June 2nd based on a small credit card transaction (apparently for food).

If anyone happens to see him (or may have seen him recently), please post back here and / or email me for phone numbers and further discussion.

Thank you so much for your help.

Trey Wheeler
    Chattanooga, Tennessee

http://homepage.mac.com/architectx/.Pictures/Gregg/Gregg%20Baird.jpg

he's probably getting drunk and naked at Rusty's.

I'm the man on the mountain, come on up.....
    Images

the link to the picture is not working ....at least for me it is not

good luck i hope things work out and you find/locate your loved one

"you better head back to tennessee jed"

What is P-NET? Can you post a link to the original thread on that board (or post a link to this thread there) in case someone has information?

I am on the trail now (glasgow) and know Jed as well as a few people hiking around him. I will make some calls and see if I can help track him down

Good luck
    Bigby

Default they found him.....

Found him...
    “Follow up
    Posted by: architectx on Jun-12-07 4:12 PM (EST)
    Hey folks,

Good news - the RidgeRunners found him and another "wayward son" this afternoon.

Thanks,

Trey”

Paddling.net (Kayakers forum)

I might ask a question here...I know this can at first glance be taken as "Worry Warts" but at what point do you push the panic button?

he was due to check in 1 June, hadn't by 5 June, then the post was made 12 June....is twelve days overdue a to short to worry timeline?

Seems like if he had been injured or ill 12 days would be a LONG time....

what say you, did the family over react?

Images

I would say it depends entirely on the individual and what his/her normal pattern would be.

For me, 12 days is too early to panic, especially someplace as heavily traveled and close-knit as the AT. If something had happened, other hikers probably would have known very early on.

Of course, if he is relatively new to hiking, his family may not be used to this, and he should have probably checked in.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperTroll View Post
    I might ask a question here...I know this can at first glance be taken as "Worry Warts" but at what point do you push the panic button?

he was due to check in 1 June, hadn't by 5 June, then the post was made 12 June....is twelve days overdue a to short to worry timeline?

Seems like if he had been injured or ill 12 days would be a LONG time....

what say you, did the family over react?
    from now on don't have a specific "check in" time or date. how old is this guy?

Images

Ya know if something would have happened to Jed, we'd all be asking why did they wait so long. If it were my son, after a couple of days late to a scheduled check in, I would have started to make some calls. My wife would prolly start the next morning or even the night of.

If there was not a scheduled check in, I would say a couple of weeks w/o a call or message would be long enough.
    Peace,
    Joe

Hey Supertroll! No, I don't think they overreacted. Often the reason for scheduling a check in date is so that someone will know that you might be "missing" when you don't check in. As a parent and a backpacker, I wouldn't start to panic on the scheduled date if he didn't call, but I would start to worry if the check-in is several days overdue. Maybe earlier if say the temperatures were very low or other conditions were not favorable. 12 days is a little long to wait, but there are probably pieces of this story we do know. They may have had good reason to wait. Hard to say.
    Some people take the straight and narrow. Others the road less traveled. I just cut through the woods.

I'm the man on the mountain, come on up.....
    Images

my first thought was that with the trail name "tennessee jed" he is problably a free spirited 'hippie" and not in any danger....jsut side tracked by partying or ran into some old friends...just my .02 cents

i am sure we are all curious what his delay was though now....why it took so long......its seems his parents were not that confident in his timeline or they would have called sooner

Shudda hadda cellphone!!!
    E-Z---"from sea to shining sea''

Images

Note to self: One way to avoid drama invasion during the thru-hike experience is to never schedule a check in. Besides, the hiking family has it under control.

Happy hiking!

TTF

Quote Originally Posted by Time To Fly 97 View Post
    Note to self: One way to avoid drama invasion during the thru-hike experience is to never schedule a check in. Besides, the hiking family has it under control.

Happy hiking!

TTF
    Crap. My 1st post.

I must agree. With everything I've read- we have a tight-nit family (maybe a little too tight sometimes ).

It's good too know there is a "support" system in place to look after each other.

Images

It's impossible to be 12 days away from a phone on the AT. He should have called home if he went to the trouble of giving a check in date.
    I love the smell of esbit in the morning!

Musta notta gotta lotta sleep last night. Heater's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Freeleo View Post
    my first thought was that with the trail name "tennessee jed" he is problably a free spirited 'hippie" and not in any danger....jsut side tracked by partying or ran into some old friends...j
    ...or maybe loaded up the truck and moned th Be-ver-ly. (hills that is)

he was at rustys i was with him

worm

Musta notta gotta lotta sleep last night. Heater's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by worms222 View Post
    he was at rustys i was with him

worm
    HA! L.Wolf nailed it. You win... oh... I don't know... One pound of Mathhewski's bacon.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++