WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Vesna View Post
    This is just what gives so many AT hikers a bad name and a bad reputation.
    And "experts" get a bad reputation when the imply not bringing a shelter while in the GSMNP....or anywhere.

Please don't bring a tent thinking you can always set up outside the shelter. It is extra weight and it is against the rules of regs of the Park.
    If that doesn't imply not to bring a shelter it is VERY poorly worded.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Images

You are still blurring fact and fiction.

Images

And as to why people hire us. They do so to learn how to backpack the right way, using Leave no Trace ethics, non lethal bear aversion techniques, have respect and understanding for the eco system and the natural world and what to pack and not to pack, as well as basic survival skills in case of problems, including how to set up an emergancy shelter using a backpacking tarp in case of injury. We have backpacking 101 courses, two night trips, family trips and several REI Adventure AT trips through the Smokies. We also provide shuttle service, resupply, rent gear and do trip planning through the Park. We even give AT thru hikers a discount, even the not so kind ones
    And adopt a very superior attitude.

Hi,

In other news, Clingman's Dome road will be closed through the end of May, so beware of that when making your 2010 plans.

Huh? The AT trail is closed? How do you close a walking trail? what does this do to the folks who leave Springer in February? Time for a little research, methinks...
    It could be that the purpose of my life is merely to serve as a warning to others.

KJ4MVP

ignore my previous post. Speed reading FTL
    It could be that the purpose of my life is merely to serve as a warning to others.

KJ4MVP

Journal Entries
    Images

Me thinks they are talking about the road the the tourist take to Clingmans dome not the trail????
    BEAS

"Maintain a Rigid State of Maximum Flexibility"

Images

Vesna, to WhiteBlaze!

Thank you Emerald.

Quote Originally Posted by beas View Post
    Me thinks they are talking about the road the the tourist take to Clingmans dome not the trail????
    And that would be important to know if someone was planning on hitching into G from Clingmans. Now you have to get to NFG.

Yes, the road from Newfound Gap to Clingman's Dome will be closed through the end of May. That will make for very nice and quiet hiking on that 7 mile section.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctari View Post

"Don't take a tent" has got to be the WORST advice I have ever seen here!!!
    In 35+ years of hiking in the Smokies, I have never been denied space in a shelter at which I had a reservation. Nor have I ever carried a tent. Nor do I intend to.

Quote Originally Posted by EAnderson View Post

Russell Field, Laurel Gap (BMT) and Davenport Gap are the only shelters that have not been renovated.
    Davenport Gap was, in fact, the first shelter to be renovated. The decision to eliminate the fences was made the following year, during the Icewater Springs shelter renovation. At Icewater, the new fence was actually airlifted in, but not installed. (I still wonder what happened to that big roll of chain link.)

I did not post this to be attacked. I did so to give information and to dispell misinformation.
    WhiteBlaze seems to attract a disproportionate number of folks who lack the capability to recognize the correct answer when told. The high level of misinformation provided in response to your original post is a testament to that thesis.

Quote Originally Posted by sliderule View Post
    The high level of misinformation provided in response to your original post is a testament to that thesis.
    Please list.

The information on White Blaze is generally dead-on spot and if not, is corrected by someone immediately.

The criticism of being told not carrying a shelter is solid, even though is something YOU thinks is just fine. You will find that your choice of not carrying a shelter will be nearly unanimously denounced and rightly so.

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    You will find that your choice of not carrying a shelter will be nearly unanimously denounced and rightly so.
    I never made any statement whatsoever about any choice to carry or not carry "a shelter." Your assertion that I did places you squarely in the aforementioned category of folks who just cannot seem to "connect the dots."

Speaking of misinformation, why is this sub-forum entitled "Great Smoky Mountains National Park?"
    Last edited by attroll; 10-29-2009 at 13:08.

1. I appreciate the info on the parks' procedures and regulations. Some I knew, some I had heard about, some was passed on later in the thread.

2. I think most of the posters took offence about the supposed "dont take shelter" bit.

3. Aside from that, this thread is finished. Send in the turtles.

KJ4MVP

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++