WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Question Lost job so when hiking

Just wonder how many are Thur-Hike the trail because they lost their jobs this year

Me,

Actually I lost my job over a year ago.

Detour

Images

Unless something happens between now & then I'll be quiting mine to hike.
    HABAKKUK 3:19
    Yaweh my Lord is my strength; He makes my feet like those of a deer and enables me to walk on mountain heights!

Images

I was working on a Federal Prison Construction site, My part of the job is done.
    Planning my Thru-Hike for 2011 if everything works out just right. I could just jump back in to the work force but I figure a Thru-Hike will be more fun!!

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Me or rather no book contracts as many fell through.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Default Quiting and Fired

I just quit my job on tuesday. Last day next week some time. I work in Fraud Investigation we had a crazy bizy year last year with everything that was going on. So much so that the small company that I work for did not have time to do any marketing for future jobs. When things rapped up on the jobs we were working on we did not have much to do. Since the first of the year I have had long boring days basically watching WB like a hawk! It has made waiting for my thru hike even tougher becasue there was nothing to keep my mind off it. It did make quitting easier because I was not leaving in the middle of a project. I am thankful to of had the job it helped me afford the equipment and finance the thru.

Wether you have been fired or quit we are all in the same boat now, hoping to find a job on the flip side. If you have been fired at least you could possibly collect unemployment, thats a bonus.

I have had a few people ask me how I could quit a job in the middle of this economy. When I think about the opportunity of a thru hike and the boredum I have been enduring, I dont know how I couldnt. It is definatly a leap, but I think it is time/money spent investing in myself rather then spending the majority of my time working towards someone elses goals.

I did read an article somewhere that said some people that thru hiked last year did it because of the economy...they were "walking out the recession" I have heard few better ideas.

Getting fired could be a blessing if you turn it into a thru!

Journal Entries
    Images

So did I...HS
    Quote Originally Posted by ken downey View Post
    Me,

Actually I lost my job over a year ago.

Detour

Images

Maybe we should ask WB Admin to consider opening a job posting/resume posting area on this site. I'm sure it would raise some legal or $$ issues, but worth throwing the idea out there.
    Simple is good.

I am quitting a good paying job to do my third thru-hike. At least I have my priorities straight! (My wife doesn't think so!).Sick of being stuck in an office, answering the phone and listening to a bunch of whiney-babies. I have plans when I finish, but it does not include more office work! Nice thing about being out on the Trail for 4-5 months is there is plenty of time to think and head in another direction. At least, if nothing else, I have allowed some unfortunate, unemployed individual to find "meaningful" employment. As for me, my new life begins at Amicalola on April 13. See you up the Trail!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Flatulator View Post
    I am quitting a good paying job to do my third thru-hike. At least I have my priorities straight! (My wife doesn't think so!).Sick of being stuck in an office, answering the phone and listening to a bunch of whiney-babies. I have plans when I finish, but it does not include more office work! Nice thing about being out on the Trail for 4-5 months is there is plenty of time to think and head in another direction. At least, if nothing else, I have allowed some unfortunate, unemployed individual to find "meaningful" employment. As for me, my new life begins at Amicalola on April 13. See you up the Trail!
    Well said Flatulator...well said.
    HABAKKUK 3:19
    Yaweh my Lord is my strength; He makes my feet like those of a deer and enables me to walk on mountain heights!

Havnt lost my job or quit YET!! But if things dont change real quick, I just may..A longer section hike would be wonderfull..

I was promised a raise this year AND a promotion..Got the promotion but NO RAISE!!! Errrrrr.....Told them I could make more money on the AT then working for their ecomonical slave postions...

Hope to see you outthere sometime..

Graywolf
    "So what if theres a mountain, get over it!!!" - Graywolf, 2010

Images

I was laid off in October of 09 and am still unemployed.
    Assuming my foot heals some time in the near future, I'll be doing a different long hike not an AT thru hike.

Images

LAID OFF 4/07 HAVEN'T GONE BACK YET, BUT HAVE GONE HIKING (AND KAYAKING) i like it better then work. have no interest in going back.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by LIhikers View Post
    I was laid off in October of 09 and am still unemployed.
    me too.

Panzer

Default I quit my job....

Quote Originally Posted by bishopj View Post
    Just wonder how many are Thur-Hike the trail because they lost their jobs this year
    in October, wasn't fun for me anymore and had strong differences of opinion with the new senior management. After I left, the decision to take some serious time off and attempt my thru hike was made...in other words, I didn't leave to hike the trail. Was going to leave this past Sunday but at the last minute got a request to come in this week for an interview with a company in the area which was cool because I have not sent out any resumes or even applied for anything.

I told them I wouldn't be available until fall due to another "commitment" but they still want to do the interview so...leaving for Springer now on Friday of this week and will be starting Sunday.

Journal Entries

I was laid off last February, didn't find a job for over 11 months. Got one I really like, but it's ending now (always knew it was temporary). Think I'm going to work at Kohl's, a friend of mine knows the local store manager. Not the best paying/glamorous job, but I think I can start soon, and hopefully will be able to make enough to put money aside for my hike next year. I only have minimal current expenses b/c I'm living with my parents.

I figure a job like that is better for now b/c it'll be no problem to leave it for my thruhike, whereas I'd hate to find a job I LOVE and risk losing it when I go hike for six months.
    He who forms the mountains,
    creates the wind,
    and reveals his thoughts to man,
    he who turns dawn to darkness,
    and treads the high places of the earth—
    the LORD God Almighty is his name.
    -Amos 4:13

The rat race is insane by definition: "doing the same thing over and over, expecting different results"... Is it God's will to work everyday just to rob Peter and pay Paul? If I were to die and go to heaven I would be hiking and sailing all over the world...and I highly doubt that heaven even exists... just a beautiful thing to consider for a thru hike...Amen

Default recession

obviously were in a recession last august i lost my well paying job as a redteraunt manager now im just a cook and make 30%less money pointless to work in fattest city in america,going back to school and getting personal training certification at 37 never too late to switch careers better to do what makes me happy no other hikers in this site from my state everybodys fatt could get work when i return could be record year on trail i predict with so many others in same boat.someone asked (wont it be hard to survive 180 days in woods)im an ex airborne ranger so was silly but really times are so hard in job market city life is the new survival training everybody get out put one foot in front of the other let the chips fall where they may well all be better off for this

Images

About a year ago my company filed for chapter 11 bankruptcy, but have since emerged after restructuring some loans, at least that's the story. Since then the company has decided to move in a new direction (read, tyrannical). About nine months ago, they decided that my beard was no longer a respectable look. After months of resistance I finally shaved in order to keep my job. This was the last straw. In recent months I have been a yes man, so that I can keep my job until time to go hiking. I'm using my last two weeks of vacation next month with no intention on returning, although my employer doesn't know this yet. I would love to see the look on my boss's face when he gets the post card with only two words on it. "I quit"

++ New Posts ++