Yeah, it's early, but 3 years from today, I will be on the trail.....

So, I am getting the Class of 2013 thread going (if I'm allowed to.)

Just a few things:

Trail Name: "Stick"
Direction: NOBO
Start Date: Unsure of exact date but, end of March / beginning of April.

So far, I have hiked the section from Amicalola Falls to Neels Gap. I had plans to hike Neels Gap to Fontana in May 2010 (solo) but back surgery in March has changed that around, however, my wife and I will be hiking from Fontana to Davenport this October (Smokies). I plan on picking up the section from Neels Gap to Fontana next spring now.

Other than this I plan on getting out AMAP (as much as possible)! I am planning to take my son (9 years old then) on an AT hike next summer.

What am I doing to prepare? The most obvious answer I think of when asked what am I doing to prepare for the hike (even though it's 3 years from now) is my gear list. However, there are other things I am doing, most importantly, preparing myself financially and physically. If not for these 2 things, the gear list would be useless....

Financially. My wife and I are going through the Dave Ramsey Financial Peace program. In 3 years or less, we will have a sizable "Emergency Fund," be debt free and have XX amount of months allowance in the bank. The only bills we will have will be utilities and house (still renting at this time.) Credit cards are gone. We will not charge anything. If we cannot pay for it with cash we do not need it, period. During this time I will be setting aside my funds needed for the gear and expenses for the hike.

Physically. Well that's a no-brainer. However, with my recent back surgery, a very large goal of mine is to become more physically fit to improve the outcome of my back problems. Doing this will also prepare me for the strenuous trials faced while hiking the trail.

Now the fun part, gear list! I have been going through other peoples gear list on the internet (that's hiked the AT and other places) and through my current gear putting a list together. I have been posting that list on this forum as well as others getting feed back and reconsidering nearly all of it. While it is not totally finished it is adequate in my opinion. Short version, my base weight during "warm" months is around 15-17 lbs base weight (not counting clothes worn, and depending on my choices between bounce boxes. And around 17-20 for "cold" months, again depending. (This does not include gear/clothes worn or food and water.) With the list I have now I am figuring around 30 lbs for warm months and around 35 for cold months.

So, before I post my gear list, who else is looking at 2013 as the year to get out?!

And there is a good chance the list may not work out to well when I copy and paste so here is a link to a download that may work. I am going to work on another one that is easier to access, but for now:

http://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B6h8...YzgwODBj&hl=en

So, this is it so far. I have much more to get done, but at least I have gotten started!
Who else is planning for their thru in 2013 and what are you doing now to get ready for it?