WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mre's

Registered User Diet Orange Soda's Avatar

Default Mre's

Has anyone useds MRE's (Meals Ready to Eat) on the trail? And if so how did you like them. Also, do you happen to know how long the shelf life is for them. I have a good many that was given to me when a hurricane came thru our area. I have looked online and it seems if I had to buy them they are pretty pricey. Any input would be appreciated.

This subject has been beat up quite a bit.
    Check this out.
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...&highlight=mre
    They are very tasty in my opinion and really pack the calories but they're damn heavy.

Journal Entries
    Images

Real MRE is not for retail sale anymore. Too many were ending up on Ebay and not in military stomachs. They exceed a pound and a half with the core heaters and yes I have a few, they last for more than five years. I would not take them packing. Stick with easy MH propack and add snickers and you will be fine.

Honest, I just ask my military buddies for a food swap now and then.

If you want the heaters you can pick them up seperate now adays.
    Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 12-08-2010 at 14:51.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

"...they last for more than five years."

MRE's can last well over 10 years. From what I have researched about them. An MRE really never spoils, they may taste funny after 10, 15-plus years, but nothing to make one sick. An MRE's length of freshness last longer if kept in a cooler storage area. I used to keep mine in the garage, but now keep them in the bottom of a spare closet inside the house. I read somewhere, a person buried one in their yard, then after 5-7 years, dug it up and no problem. I personally have a few that I know for a fact are well over 10 years, close to 15. I almost tried one the other day, but didnt, but may, perhaps, when I cant afford other food options. Lol.

MRE's are cool, heavy, actually somewhat tastey and not useful for long distance backpacking IMO. Good Luck.

SMSP
    South MS Patriot

Images

Having served in the Marines for 20 years and having eaten a few C Rats and MRE's (Meals Refused by Everyone) over the years, they can be tasty but they are heavy for backpacking purposes. Too many other alternatives that weight less and taste better.

When you are hungry even stuff you would not eat at home taste good. Don't know about the Army but in the Marines we always carried a bottle of hot sauce to to give the MREs or C Rats some flavor.
    Hammock Hanger by choice

Warbonnet BlackBird 1.7 dbl

www.neusioktrail.org

Bears love people, they say we taste just like chicken.

Journal Entries
    Images

I heard about the 10 year thing, but you forgot, even if they do last 10 years - would you eat one? probably not.

We used to joke about the crackers that used to be stored in the cold war shelters.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

If I run out of lunch money this month, I may just have too!

Or, may need to go find a soup kitchen!

SMSP
    South MS Patriot

1,630 miles and counting earlyriser26's Avatar
    Images

My brother was in the air cav and I regularly got MRE's. They are OK, but not nearly as good as food you can buy at any hiking store. I generally took out the good parts and tossed the rest. If they are free, then it is a good deal. otherwise, skip them.
    There are so many miles and so many mountains between here and there that it is hardly worth thinking about

Journal Entries

stripping down MRE's was the first part of any patrol. Too much junk you did not need to carry.
    Be alive when you die

Quote Originally Posted by RampRat View Post
    stripping down MRE's was the first part of any patrol. Too much junk you did not need to carry.
    Exactly my thoughts. I remember throughout my time in the USMC that we always field stripped our MRE. Take out the cardboard, all the stupid crap, and leave only the essentials. Even then..they are heavy because they are pre-wet.

Images

I'ved used MREs for plenty of Civil Air Patrol training/missions and they've worked great. I'd be very hesitant to bring them on a backpacking trip though because, although they're packed full of calories and some of them are even quite tasty, they're extremely heavy. You'd also be carrying a lot of things you don't need. Even if you were to strip it down to only what you need, you'd still be sacrificing a lot of weight by bringing them.
    "Mr. Franz I think careers are a 20th century invention and I don't want one."

Images

good for car camping or even day hiking... bad for extended day hikes with backpacks. Too heavy. You can get more food for less weight dehydrating or using freeze dried foods.

Images

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Spider View Post
    I'ved used MREs for plenty of Civil Air Patrol training/missions and they've worked great. I'd be very hesitant to bring them on a backpacking trip though because, although they're packed full of calories and some of them are even quite tasty, they're extremely heavy. You'd also be carrying a lot of things you don't need. Even if you were to strip it down to only what you need, you'd still be sacrificing a lot of weight by bringing them.
    YEAH! Go C.A.P.!! I learned a hell of a lot of outdoors stuff when i was in the CAP in the 80's. Especially when i went through GSAR training in NJ in the Water Gap. And yes, i also learned back then(quickly, i might add) that MRE's are a bit too heavy for backpacking trips.
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time. - Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by SMSP View Post
    "...they last for more than five years."

MRE's can last well over 10 years. From what I have researched about them. An MRE really never spoils, they may taste funny after 10, 15-plus years, but nothing to make one sick. An MRE's length of freshness last longer if kept in a cooler storage area. I used to keep mine in the garage, but now keep them in the bottom of a spare closet inside the house. I read somewhere, a person buried one in their yard, then after 5-7 years, dug it up and no problem. I personally have a few that I know for a fact are well over 10 years, close to 15. I almost tried one the other day, but didnt, but may, perhaps, when I cant afford other food options. Lol.

MRE's are cool, heavy, actually somewhat tastey and not useful for long distance backpacking IMO. Good Luck.

Actually the manufacture says the shelf life is 5 years but it is actually alot LESS if they are not stored properly. I would NEVER eat a 10 year old MRE. The are not like C-rats, MRE will spoil easily.

SMSP
    lots of MRE given out buy the government during Huricane season are at this point possibility spoiled. Think of the millions of MREs given out after Katrina. Most sat out in the heat, store in garages an attics until they were sold or traded away.

You can buy civilian versions of MREs thru contractors like A-pak, but as others have said, they are heavy.

Lets be honest, MRE's are "okay", but there is so much better options for long distance hiking (as others have posted). But...its fun to read about everyones experience with the damn things!
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

We received a lot of them when Hurricane Ike came through and didn't have to use them all. I wound up breaking them up and using parts of them on occasion since we had them. Some were pretty good but there were some really bad ones too.

Images

mre's do exp as i recall they have an exp printed on the bag its been like 15 years give or take since i had to eat one so.....anyways my brother who was also in the army well they got fed some exp ones but he said it was just stale so....but im suprised that everyone is talking about weight and not the obviouse problem of bulk theres no way you could carry a weeks worth of mre's without taking up all of your pack.....well unless u took them apart....maybee but that kinda defeats the purpose of a self contained meal all in one package right???
    smitty2.0

Common practice to take them apart before going on patrol, get rid of all the excess stuff that you won't use, reduce bulk. One MRE is about 1,250 calories.

My boyfriend ate some C-rations from WWII. They were older than he was. There's something wrong about that. MREs are way too heavy and there's too much trash.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

I ate C's from WWII. Yummy, 'specially the John Wayne bar. I still have C's in my survival store.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++