WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 30 degree sleeping bag for whole trail? Late March start.

I'm trying to decide if I need a cold weather bag, or if I can survive just with my 30 degree Marmot Neverwinter and layering of clothes at the front end and then again in the Whites. Using my Marmot the whole trail is my personal preference, mostly because I'm cheap and don't want to buy another bag. I'm leaving in the second half of March (probably closer to April then March 15).

I appreciate any advice!

Images

I switch to my 30-F bag around the middle of March in the Southern Appalachians, but I keep my down jacket until mid-April or so for layering inside it on cold nights. (Had one night of single digit temps in mid April a few years ago. Brr.) Not sure how that would work in New England, but I expect it would be fine for late summer.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

You're gonna be cold in March with a 30 degree bag. It will likely dip to the teens.
    If I were you, I might try to sneak closer to April then for your start. Also need a good insulating layer under you (ie pad) and a tent.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

My sleeping system is the REI Quarterdome T1, the Thermarest z-lite, and the Marmot Neverwinter 30 degree bag. I was hoping layering could help me make it through the cold nights. I've used this bag this past summer on some hot nights, and usually just sleep on top of it if it is like that, so I'm not too worried about New England and summer heat.

Images

I've seen temps in single digits in the Smokies in mid April...bottom line is do you want to save money and be cold?

Images

Sleeping bag liners will add (I think) about 10 degrees, sleeping in a tent can also be warmer, many times the cold comes from below so agree on the pad comments for sure.............good news is that you will be up early and hiking where it is nice and warm

I think that you could do with this one bag............a sniper once told me that he always brings a 55 gallon thick trash bag out with him.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Del Q View Post
    Sleeping bag liners will add (I think) about 10 degrees
    I wouldn't rely on that though . . . .

I also think you'll be cold on some nights. You might 'survive' it though. You have 5 months to figure it out. Pick a cold night or five and sleep outside in your 30F bag.

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

how to hike

Journal Entries

Default cold

you are almost guaranteed to have some very cold nights, even starting in april.

Moisture is your enemy. 35F and rain and 100% relative humidity and that 30F down bag may become a 60F down bag.

You really need more for that time of year. Including good insulating layers to sleep in.

Andrew Skurka, who knows a heck of a lot about hiking in very cold climes, regularly backpacks expecting overnight temps to get 30 degrees lower than his bag is rated for. I imagine that part of the reason he does this is because he sleeps warm, but the main thing he does to pull this off is to sleep in all the dry clothes he has with him. Some folks are comfortable sleeping with lots of clothes on, and some aren't. When he expects really frigid temps (below 10 degrees, say) for days on end he employs a vapor barrier strategy but it's never going to get THAT cold for long in the southern Appalachians in late March so that would not be necessary for you. So that is something to think about if you are experienced enough to give it a go.

Here's a link to his website if you want the details. It's a very educational site: http://www.andrewskurka.com/
    Last edited by map man; 10-09-2011 at 20:35.

Images

I think you'll be a little cold early on but if you pair it with long johns, a down jacket and (nice tech-tip here) a hot water bottle, I think you'll be fine. I use old Gatoraid bottles in summer, but in winter, go for at least one real Nalgene - boil water, tighten the cap carefully and well and put it in your crotch - when it get's warm, you'll probably end up throwing it over you like a blanket, but this isn't usually too much of a problem - I think you'll be fine -- I would not try this any earlier than a departure the second week of March - assuming you make it to the whites before September, I think you'll be fine

Default another option for winter weight bag without the cost

One thing you might do, you may have already thought of it, is to pair the bag you have with another say a 30 degree bag...but a roomier thirty degree bag for the few weeks you need the extra insulation. I'm surprised this solution isn't mentioned more often in packing literature; it seems a much less expensive option (but of course heavier) It might double the weight and double the space in your pack you'd normally set aside for bags. I've done it myself when conditions warranted it and I didn't have that single expensive winter bag.

Bill Mason, who wrote and produced such wonderful films about living and canoeing in the Canadian Wilderness for weeks at a time would put together three warmer weather (!) sleeping bags for his winter sleeping system. He said it just didn't make sense for him to spend a small fortune on one winter bag when his family owned many other perfectly good summer and fall weight bags that could be combined to give him the insulation he needed.

It might be a worthwhile idea since you say you really don't want to spend the money for an expensive spring bag for just a relative few nights on the trail. another plus: you'd already have your 30 degree bag in the event you got unseasonably warm weather. And when it was time to drop the outer bag you could just send it home at the next post office, or send it on to New Hampshire for use several months later as you finished the trail in the fall.

I've done this myself in the late fall in North Carolina. Yeah it's heavier, but really comfortable, your inner bag can be zipped up tight and the outer bag can be draped over, or half on half off, or zipped up as needed. Lot's of options for getting your insulation just right and much less expensive than buying a dedicated winter bag if you are me and only get out a week or two or three for colder weather.

Images

Abner's idea will work - sometimes I lend my 20 degree Western Bag to friends to augment their bags so they can tag along with me but this system is heavy, uncomfortable and not ideal but it could get you through the smokies - you could get a real light bag (slumberjack?) for about $50 - (maybe used) which, if you are on the move is done in 3 weeks from the start - get to about Springs and send it home - you might use it later as a light bag in the mid-atlantic states

30 degree sleeping bag for AT? Not me. I used a 15 deg bag the entire trip and still got cold on some nights. If you dress too heavily you may be uncomfortable and not sleep well. Most hikers who travel/hike frequently will have several different temp bags as well as shelters. I have collected 4 nice bags over the past years -20, 0, +15, +30. I use the 15 an 0 deg bags the most.

Images

Sassy Windsor is probably very comfortable and from a comfort standpoint, she is probably right -if you could pick the perfect bag each night before you go to sleep based on weather conditions and how you feel, do what she does - I probably own 1/2 dozen sleeping bags but I understand your desire to pick one - one is probably not enough, but you could make it work by adjusting your clothing (or by leaving it un-zipped) - you could also add a light bag or bag liner for the first (coldest) few weeks and just play the white mountains by ear

Quote Originally Posted by map man View Post
    Here's a link to his website if you want the details. It's a very educational site: http://www.andrewskurka.com/
    Just watched this whole video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=hMf7TypZwtc#!

Andrew Skurka, who knows a heck of a lot about hiking in very cold climes, regularly backpacks expecting overnight temps to get 30 degrees lower than his bag is rated for. I imagine that part of the reason he does this is because he sleeps warm, but the main thing he does to pull this off is to sleep in all the dry clothes he has with him. Some folks are comfortable sleeping with lots of clothes on, and some aren't. When he expects really frigid temps (below 10 degrees, say) for days on end he employs a vapor barrier strategy but it's never going to get THAT cold for long in the southern Appalachians in late March so that would not be necessary for you. So that is something to think about if you are experienced enough to give it a go.

Also, given this is a gear thread, I found it really interesting to look at the gear lists for his trips and how they evolve over time: http://www.andrewskurka.com/advice/gearlists.php

Journal Entries

Yes. But when Andrew Skurka was asked what he was most afraid of out there by himself his answer was " 33 F and raining ". Sub freezing temps in a down bag are fine for the most part if you arent breathing into it. Cold and dry is great. But I think cold, 100% humidity, near and slightly above freezing is where your moisture management is critical to keep loft in a down bag.

I used a $10 Walmart sleeping bag that was rated at 50* and I started in February and wasn't cold. But I had layers and in the early days slept with all my clothes on.

If you are staying in a shelter you could use your quarter-dome as a bag cover...that will stretch the temp rating a bit, and keep moisture off your bag.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bad marriage View Post
    If you are staying in a shelter you could use your quarter-dome as a bag cover...that will stretch the temp rating a bit, and keep moisture off your bag.
    I tried that. The natural condensation from your body building up within the bag caused even greater issues b/c it can't escape. Wet bag on the inside

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++